Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Has Snowboarding Lost it's Edge?

Old article, but thought it was interesting when I first ran across it in 2013.
    Has Snowboarding Lost it's Edge?

I'm always very confused when people speak of participation in a binary, as if you have to make a choice. I split my time between the two, skiing about 2/3 of the time and snowboarding the rest, and many of my friends do the same. It's all conditions and partner dependent really, I trend towards skiing when the snow is hard or the day demands long distances and efficiency and a snowboard when the approach is short, my partners are slower than me and there's powder. Anyone who says that rockered skis give you the same level of surf as a snowboard in powder is either delusional or hasn't done it. Ditto for the other way around in terms of ease of travel and energy expenditure. Everyone should participate in both, it's all fun as shit and each has a utility that the other doesn't offer.

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    I'm always very confused when people speak of participation in a binary, as if you have to make a choice. I split my time between the two, skiing about 2/3 of the time and snowboarding the rest, and many of my friends do the same. It's all conditions and partner dependent really, I trend towards skiing when the snow is hard or the day demands long distances and efficiency and a snowboard when the approach is short, my partners are slower than me and there's powder. Anyone who says that rockered skis give you the same level of surf as a snowboard in powder is either delusional or hasn't done it. Ditto for the other way around in terms of ease of travel and energy expenditure. Everyone should participate in both, it's all fun as shit and each has a utility that the other doesn't offer.
    I always said, if I am ever bored on a pow day I would love to snowboard... preferably at alta.

I think there is a thread about that.