Colbert in outer space!

HAHAHA!!!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ulaxAD96REHTO0

Can NASA take a joke? Try space station Colbert
    By SETH BORENSTEIN – 20 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Earth to Space Station Colbert: The cosmic joke may be on NASA. Comedian Stephen Colbert, who couldn't get his mock presidential campaign off the ground, is polling better by aiming higher. He's convinced his many fans to write in his name in NASA's online public vote to name a new room to be added to the international space station.

So instead of NASA's suggested choices — Serenity, Legacy, Earthrise or Venture — the space station's new addition may wind up with the name "Colbert."

The count by mid-Tuesday had votes for the comedian just shy of 115,000 and Serenity trailing at 98,641. More than 451,000 people have voted.

VOTE HERE!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

done and done
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Edit: Got it. Wouldn't load at work.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I see no link for voting? I see the top ten suggestions and a link to learn more and contest rules. Maybe they are working on the site.
    Last edited by g_man80; 03-11-2009 at 06:49 PM.

done, although I almost voted fro "Xenu"

Colbert has my vote as well.

WTF is MYYEARBOOK and how is it 2nd in the write-in votes?
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

That's not a ranking, just a list of write-ins. Too bad they won't show us what percentage "Colbert" has now.

Yeah, kind of interesting how the poll results are 'currently unavailable' now that Colbert is in the lead.
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

BOOO!!!!

Just read the rules...
    NASA will take into consideration the results of the voting. However, the results are not binding on NASA and NASA reserves the right to ultimately select a name in accordance with the best interests of the agency, its needs, and other considerations. Such name may not necessarily be one which is on the list of voted-on candidate names. NASA’s decision shall be deemed final.
    Let's hope they aren't the squares I think they are!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I've always wondered why a little meteorite traveling at near-warp speed hasn't gutted the space station.

I also voted for Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I've always wondered why a little meteorite traveling at near-warp speed hasn't gutted the space station.

I also voted for Colbert.
    There just aren't that many meteorites around. Space is a big place.

How big is it, Tipp?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    BOOO!!!!

Just read the rules...

NASA will take into consideration the results of the voting. However, the results are not binding on NASA and NASA reserves the right to ultimately select a name in accordance with the best interests of the agency, its needs, and other considerations. Such name may not necessarily be one which is on the list of voted-on candidate names. NASA’s decision shall be deemed final.
    Let's hope they aren't the squares I think they are!
    Too bad NASA aren't like drosophila geneticists, who found that loss of function of a certain gene family resulted in a prickly-appearing embryo. They named the genes "hedgehog". The first two homologues identified were called Indian Hedgehog and Desert Hedgehog.

The third gene discovered turned out to be one of the most important determinants of early brain development. What's it called?

Sonic hedgehog.
    Last edited by Neurodoc; 03-11-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    How big is it, Tipp?
    It's so big, it made my wife gasp! *rimshot*
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Billlyons and Billlyons of lightyears...[/mystical hand movements]

Voted — let's see NASA's explanation.