Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I downloaded the dynafit pdf from this thread last week and mounted my vertical STs yesterday using puderluder inserts. My boot is a size 27.0 BD method with a 318 BSL.

Everything worked out but the BSL scale on the rear binding template seemed off. I mounted the toe piece first and the scale on the template put the midsole of the boot right on the line. Perfect. However, here was my process for the heel:

After successfully mounting the toe piece, I placed the heel template so that it was centered (right-to-left) on the ski and the 320 scale mark was at the ski midsole mark. After using a punch to mark the positions of the four heel screws, I removed the template, put my boot into the binding and set the boot/binding combo on the ski to double check everything.

Because there is some adjustability to the heel of dynafits (such that it can accomodate a range of BSL sizes), I had the heel piece so it was about in the middle of its adjustment range. This is when I noticed that the punched hole marks were off. Using the template scale, your heel piece ends up mounted at the extreme end of it's adjustment range. But, if you want the heel piece in the middle of it's adjustment range, the template scale is off. Maybe the template is this way intentionally? If it's this way intentionally, I think a warning on the dynafit template for people in my position would be appropriate so nobody miss drills anything.

WyoWill - mine came out to almost dead-center at 310mm. Not sure what could be wrong at 320mm, but I had no such issue. If you drill at 320 for 318mm, I'd think you'd be moving it forward on its adjustment range, not back?!?

I have to say - I hope the dynafit template isn't wrong, because a lot of people have successfully used it... This template was copied from penchelman's (I think) pdf template that is floating around TGR. I tweaked the toe location because it was a bit off in his rendition. I have dynafits, but I will confess I've never mounted them using the template, I'll have to give it a shot and see if the template is indeed wrong. Thanks for the head's up Will.

So I just dug my printed heel template out of the trash to double check things. If I position the template next to my ski with the 320 mark on the scale at the midsole mark on my ski, the hole marks on the template are about 10mm farther back than the holes I drilled. Put another way, if I line the holes up, the 310 mark is at the midsole line. The toe piece measures perfect. Here's a crappy cell phone pic:

Who knows? Maybe I'm messed up here somehow.

I was just about to print out the template, and realized that just two weeks ago I mounted a friend's skis with it and it came out great. bsl of about 300. Something creepy is going on here...

are you sure the boots are 320 BSL? take a ruler to the sole from front to back and verify for us just in case BD misreported.

I measured with a ruler and got 317. The boot claims it's a 318.

So how about this theory, if the front tech inserts are placed farther aft in my boot than typical for other boots, the heel of the boot would be farther forward--possibly accounting for the heel placement issue. Not sure why this wouldn't affect the front though...

After thinking another minute, if the tech inserts are farther back in the toe of my boot, the toe piece would be off by half as much as the heel piece (right?). An amount I might not have noticed when I mounted them (5mm vs. 10mm). Either way, the moral of the story is to double (triple, or quadruple) check everything.

Edit - I just clipped the boots into the bindings to check things out yet again, and it appears that the boot midsole line is slightly forward (2-3 mms) of the midsole mark on the ski--suggesting that my tech insert theory might have some credibility.
    Last edited by WyoWill; 01-25-2010 at 02:17 AM.

well, 317 versus 320 is 3mm, an extra 2-3mm difference in the toepiece inserts (maybe?) and we're getting close to understanding the discrepancy.

Bottom line, glad you got your bindings mounted up correctly - everyone should consider a test mount first.

bump for the addition of a Tyrolia pattern based on measurements from jeffamantea

and for an updated Salomon template with 3rd toe hole added

whoever is able, please verify the patterns if you can!

Forgive me if I am being retarded, but why do the bsl numbers on the heel of the duke template run the opposite way than those of the other templates?

I mean using the template the heel holes for a 340bsl will be closer to the center line than a 320bsl.

Am i missing something?

Ahh, think I have my own answer, it is because the heel holes are always a fixed distance from the toe right? And the heel piece moves on the binding.

Just used the tyrolia template to mount up some mojo 15s. They're perfect, thanks jondrums.

anyone know why i cant finde the correct print setting for the axial2? the measurements on the side come out short on every setting???

help?

under advanced setting in the print dialog, somewhere there is a place to enter the print scaling as a percentage 0-100%. Set to 100%, measure the ruler on the paper, and rescale until it is spot on.

also uncheck a box that says something like "scale to fit media"

PERFECT!! the px/axial2 template works to spec!!! flawless mount.

Bump. This should be sticky.
    focus.

FWIW, the Look ZRS toe has a 3 hole design pattern using the front two holes of the Pivot toe and the third hole is on the center line even with the two rear holes of the pivot toe.

jester template

thx for all the feedback on this. i have a shop working to mount jesters to my bent chetlers using the template. will post more once completed. i had to adjust and print to 106% of the format to make the scale true.

jester

jester template worked perfectly. thanks for putting this info out there. JUST REMEMBER TO SCALE YOUR PRINT SETTINGS! if you are in austin tx or nearby go see oliver and ski & sail on 183, he hooked me up and did a flawless job. validated by several big airs and a few tamahawks today at kirkwood...

px racing template worked great! first attempt at a binding mount and it went smoothly. found out the easiest way to find the center line was to wrap a piece of paper around the ski, creasing it on the ski edges. remove the paper and fold it in half, lining up the crease marks. put the paper back on the ski in the same spot and the fold in the middle will be the center line. i had tried using calipers to find the center, but the paper method seemed easier and more accurate.

4frnt deadbolt 816s (Vist rebranded) template anyone?

Yeah, I know they're not popular around here, but I have them and a pair of unmounted praxis pows in my garage. Would be nice to take them out for a test drive...
    Cold water stoke

Dynafit template + FT12's + Mega-Rides = bang on the mark.

Recently used this naxo template for a pair of Medium NX21's and everything lined up perfectly! I believe it will work for most, if not all models of Naxo's

[ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2382958&postcount=5"]Teton Gravity Research Forums - View Single Post - Naxo 01 Template[/ame]

Kids binding: Rossignol Comp J

Measurements are for a 250mm BSL (Nordica kids boots) and screw holes are measured center to center.

Toe is an inverted triangle. 40mm across at the tips. The height (or should I say depth since we're going top to tail?) of this triangle is 47mm. Rest is shown a bit more graphically below:

* 40 mm *

47mm

......* (ignore the periods)

116 mm

Boot Center line for 250 BSL

100 mm

* 40mm *

75 mm

* 40mm *
    Last edited by tsproul; 04-04-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added periods to get the triangle to look like a triangle

hey Tim ^^^ what BSL size range should I make the templates for? I have no experience with kids boots.