Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

i know what i will do... but what would you do?

so....

strange one. i mount a pair of skis for a buddy of someone's here.

they are really freaked out about the mount point, so i go over it with them in super detail, taking multiple measurements and go over +'s and -'s of everything. prolly spend 45 minutes in detailing everything out.

the skis get a quick turn around as there is a trip that weekend. no problem. everyone else he called told them at least a few days to get to them.

then i do a the mount (black diamond 02's) according to plan, and install the heel risers so that the heel throw stays in the groove of the heel riser. the mount takes about 40 minutes, as alot of care goes into ensuring everything is perfectly straight on the ski, using micrometers and the like. i charge him $15.

no big deal right?

then he comes in after the trip demanding i give him a brand new pair of skis because one heel riser is 7mm closer to the toe than the other heel riser??? which is infact true, once measured, but both heel throws sit in nicely on the risers.

so does a $15 hook up mount and none of the gear being purchased from the store gaurantee a perfect mount? well in my shop i stand behind my work, so yes it does... sadly, it means no more deals to those that i do not personally know, as much as i would like to help every one out, i can't be taken advantage of either. so... such is life i suppose.

anyone have any good discount codes for evo or bc.com?

as an aside: how many of you tele types measure the distance vs. go with it being positioned correctly? just out of curiosity really... i always went with measuring, but have been yelled at by a couple tele folks cause their heels didn't line up. so what is it?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

BSS Guest
    Wow. I really have nothing to say other than he is wildly out of line.

7mm?

Tell that guy I said to fuck off.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Wow, it's just the heel. As long as the climb bar sets under the heel, I'm happy.
    Even if you moved it, it's two holes that won't even be seen.
    Kinda picky for someone getting a hookup.

You can tell him It was by design, since one foot is usually bigger than the other.

You're a better man than I. I would have told the guy to go fuck himself. Some customers are not worth having as a customer.
    Heel positioning is pretty much cosmetic anyway, as I'm sure you know. It doesn't affect performance. The only exception I'm aware of is the Bomber Bishop, and even then it only needs to be lined up in a straight line and be reasonably close fore-aft.

I mount by getting the heel positioned correctly. The one time I measured according to black diamond's chart, it came out way off.

And this is on a non-critical screws, torque-wise?
    This guy is a tool...but, how did you end up 7mm off?
    Beer n' dank?
    (not being critical, just curious)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    Wow, it's just the heel. As long as the climb bar sets under the heel, I'm happy.

no touring, not using climbing bars...

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    Kinda picky for someone getting a hookup.
    he now claims he did not ask for a hookup, though he did enter the store and ask "how much a mount for xxx's buddy" would be.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 03-10-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

BSS Guest
    If it were a toepiece, then yes. Even in the context of a hookup, a new pair of skis might be the noble thing to do if the guy was really freaking out. And I know you want to do the right thing here, but a new pair of skis over a heelpiece is just assinine. Super bold of him to demand new skis IMO. Remount the heel, give him his fifteen bucks back, and then stuff his skis up his ass and tell him not to come back.

And FWIW, I rarely measure. If I don't have a jig I line it up according to the heel of the boot after the toepiece has been screwed down and go for it. Just like everyone.

So wait, his bindings were adjusted slightly differently so that's why the heelpieces ended up at different spots?

What a fucking douchebag. I would ban him from my store if I were you. Then I would post his name and picture here so we can DefJef the fuck out him.

What I do for my tele mounts is get the toepiece mounted, put the boot in, flip the climbing bar down (it's attached to the heelthrow thingy on 7tms), and eyeball it for center so different sized boots have the best chance of working for the climbing bar.

I seriously can't believe you are actually going to buy this guy a new pair of skis for 7mm of irrelevance.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 03-10-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Wow! 7mm on the heel and he's that irate on a hookup mount? What a dick.

At 7mm might bug me a bit on a new pair of skis. But I'd maybe ask for some free tuning, at most--especially from a small shop on a hookup mount. That sucks marsh.

Since you asked what I would do... I'd say it's cosmetic, doesn't affect the way they ski or tour, and offer some free work in the future, but fuck a new pair of skis for 7mm on a heel that doesn't need to be perfect. Shit, you probably have to look really close to even notice it cosmetically, let alone not feeling it when you ski/tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    And this is on a non-critical screws, torque-wise?
    This guy is a tool...but, how did you end up 7mm off?
    Beer n' dank?
    (not being critical, just curious)
    i just went off the heel throws sitting perfectly under the risers. both were adjusted to the boot, but i may have used the same boot, hence a slightly longer BSL with the left boot in the right toe. this is how i adjust my own stuff, and it skis perfectly fine.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Wow what a douche bag man. You hook the fucker up with what sounds like a lot of work and time and he comes back and fucks you.

I rode the Pali lift with your boss the other day, and all he had were good things to say about you, obviously for good reason.
    This says a lot about a person though IMHO.

1. First calculate the percentage discount you gave on the mount.
    2. Apply said discount to the reimbursement for the ski.

I just googled it... 7 millimeters = 0.275590551 inches

Give him his $15 back and ban your "friend" for life.

Quote Originally Posted by givebackbloom View Post

I rode the Pali lift with your boss the other day, and all he had were good things to say about you, obviously for good reason.
    This says a lot about a person though IMHO.
    nice man! he told me he ran into someone rad on the lift that was stoked on his skis.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

If you do remount a new pair, take a big piss in both of his boots and dry em out.

The complaint is ridiculous.
    The guy is a retard.
    7mm isn't even 'cosmetically' visible.

That being said, please dont let an asshole ruin your trust in people. The good will always be taken advantage of by evil/stupid, but all the good people you hook up, whose stoke you help will make this one dark spot forgotten.
    It's not easy trying to be nice to people but hopefully it's contagious.

-peace
    /r

Weak sauce.

Then again, I haven't paid for a mount in fuh evuh and when I fuck it up myself I just deal. Probably the worst thing I've done is mounted the toepiece on one of my 217 DH boards about five degrees off of center. As much as it pisses me off when I look at the binding slightly crooked on the ski, I honestly do not notice it when skiing. Given the amount of slop in a telemark system, even a toepiece off by a few degrees is no big deal and obviously, the heelpiece is nothing more than aesthetic.

If you get him some new skis, you should flex them, cut some grooves in the bases with a razor, then happily say "here are your new skis. Sorry about the bad mount." He'll always wonder why his skis are sooooo slow.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I thought the whole point being a Tele D-bag was to "free yo heel BRA" Why would it matter where the heel is fuck that punk!

What was his name again?
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

Unbelievable, what a dick. As a tele'r it wouldn't bother me in the least especially haven been hooked up with a $15 mount. Have you tried offering him a couple of free tunes or something versus having to buy new skis? I can't imagine getting so worked up about something so small.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

well... i would definately not like to gain a customer in this situation.

and for those counting at home, on a 320mm bsl boot, 7mm is 2.2%... not saying is not perfect, but fuck dude... pretty damn close.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

props on standing behind your work but 7mm on a non critical part of a binding I mean come on it does the same job my coffee table does your feet rest there. I could see giving him is $15 back but I would not replace his skis. If that means he will not shop with you so be.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    he now claims he did not ask for a hookup, though he did enter the store and ask "how much a mount for xxx's buddy" would be.
    'XXX' should know about the asshattery going on by someone dropping his name. If I were 'XXX', I'd want to know.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    If you ask a friend to help with your gear or if you pop out someone's name to establish a connection with a tech you don't know - you're obviously looking for some special attention, cheap deal, jump the line, whatever - then I always assume that it's an "all care but no responsibility" situation. It's got to work both ways.

Unless it's an absolute and total cock up which this obviously isn't.

MO - characters like this are sent to test us. Good on you for sticking to your principles.

Super bad Karma for Mr 7mm. What a dick.
    Last edited by jerr; 03-10-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense the first time
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day