Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The Tyrolia Binding thread

Since there is a discussion on here about the Salomon binding models and differences, etc. I thought I'd start one on the various Tyrolia bindings (But no expert by any means so I'll correct anything (via post or PM) and update this from time to time:

Tyrolia makes bindings for ski companies like Elan, Fischer, Head also and the only difference in most cases is the logo and color combo. Smaller ski companies using Tyrolia include: PALE, Amplid, 4Front and Ninthward A few of companies may request a special model as far a din go, but most are cosmetic color options compared to the Tyrolia branded items.

Most all the Tyrolia bindings feature a diagonal heel release and 2 up to 4 toe rollers. They also have a binding selector feature on their web site to select a binding based on weight, skier type etc.

http://www.tyrolia.com/public/bindin...index.html?L=0

Tyrolia has a few different thicknesses in carver riser or race plates offered- 9mm up to 23 mm rise. Compatible with most 1997-2009 Tyrolia bindings except RailFlex and Power Select series bindings. LD, SL, Free Flex bindings are compatible with most of these plates.

Freeflex- Available usually for intermediate to higher end skiers depending on the din model Works with skis that have either no system plate or a plate that can handle any binding or the riser plates mentioned above.

Railflex (RF) Series 1 and II- These are a system plate binding. First Railflex plate had a flatter style to it and is not interchangeable or compatible to the newer Railflex II. The bindings by themselves will not mount directly without modifications and are designed to use either a ski with the railflex plate already mounted on it or get a separately sold plate to mount up a pair of flat skis. The Railflex II series can be identified by the V shape of the plate top/rail area. Railflex can be adjusted for various boot sole lengths easily. They also have a +/- adjustment that allow 15 fore or aft of center.

Power Select Series- Full Diagonal Aero toe and Diagnol Heel, ABS (Anti Blocking System), Free Flex, and Power Select (+ 10 mm standheight). Adjust the flex of your ski to match the conditions. Power Select Feature
    By simply turning the POWER SELECT lever, the camber line of the ski is actively adjusted to skiing style and terrain. Neutral Even pressure distribution for neutral skiing behavior. Allows the skis natural flex to dominate the terrain. For all slope conditions. Grip Increases pressure on the ski's tip and tail providing a 30% higher edge grip along the entire edge of the ski. This gives a smoother ski control at high speeds and super secure turns on hard and icy slopes. Power Reduces pressure at the ski's tip and tail for a 25% more nimble ride in short turns with a tighter carving radii. Perfect for Powder, deep and wet snow."

Peak Series- no plate or lifter integrated on this binding. Toe and heel pieces with brakes in the box. Intermediate all mountain and park skier choice

HD Series- Higher end toe piece used in mojo's and other 14 din or higher bindings, strongest of the diagonal series

LD Series- Lite Diagonal bindings with lighter weight toes - lighter intermediate skier depending on din model.

SL Series- SLD is a super light diagonal binding series with lighter weight toes

SP series- This seems to be a demo style fully adjustable binding series. Heel hole pattern the same as Freeflex bindings, but toe pattern is slightly different.

Latest Tech manual http://www.tyrolia.com/dealer/technical-info/index.html
    Last edited by RShea; 10-31-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Curios...difference between the well-liked mojo fifteen and the peak 15?

And if there is a difference, which binding in the current Tyrolia lineup is closest to the mojo.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Curios...difference between the well-liked mojo fifteen and the peak 15?

And if there is a difference, which binding in the current Tyrolia lineup is closest to the mojo.
    I'm pretty sure they're the same binding, with one branded Head and the other Tyrolia. In the past, you had the Tyrolia Mojo 15, since bindings were not branded Head at that point. I figure Tyrolia has added the Peak name to separate itself from Head nomenclature and diversify its use with other brands of ski.

Railflex II RFD 12 Question

So I bought my first skis a month or so ago. Picked up some MSPs for a great deal and needed to get bindings too. I was planning on going with the 4frnt bindings but they had the Railflex RFD 12 on sale. The guy at the store had a lot of great stuff to say about them. Seemed like a no brainer at the time. Adjustable boot length, Adjustable boot centering, the even ski flex, ect....

After the fact, the only thing that I can think would be a problem would be weight...but I haven't noticed any other issues. I've been real happy to this point. That being said this is my first pair and not much to compare it to.

I have now noticed that most people on the higher end skis use a binding that does not have a mounting plate. So I'm ready to take a beating and want to know why I shouldn't have bought the Railflex RFD 12....or if someone does think they are a good idea it would be nice to know I'm not a complete JONG.

As a side note I ski about 10-15 days a year. All resort skiing.

Thanks...let the beating begin
    Last edited by pruitt; 03-09-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Tyrolias will prerelease constantly if you don't have enough forward pressure, no matter how high you set the DIN. Make sure yours is set properly.

There are basically three different toepieces: the SLD toe (DIN to 11), the LD toe (DIN to 12), and the HD toe (DIN 14 and up, also used in the Mojo). The mechanisms are basically the same, but as you move up from SLD to LD to HD, they are made much more solidly and have less diagonal toe release. I personally wouldn't trust the SLD toe for anyone but a beginner or low intermediate, and even the LD is dicey on wide skis due to the diagonal toe release (wide skis put a large torque on your bindings).

The Railflex system works well and is easy to set for different sole lengths...plus you can mount plates on all your skis and swap bindings around between them, so you only need one pair of bindings and multiple $10 plates. This takes about two minutes and a screwdriver.

I skied LD12 Railflexes for a while. They work fine, with the caveat that I wouldn't put them on skis over 100mm, because the Railflex system adds some torsional slop and the LD toe isn't as stiff as the HD toe. The widest Railflex brakes are about 95mm anyway (regular Tyrolia brakes WILL NOT WORK).

For any ski over 100mm, I would use a flat binding with the HD toe. For your MSPs, the LD12 Railflex should be OK if you don't mind the extra height.

Hope this helps.

There is nothing wrong with the choice of an "inferior" or lighter weight, or lower din or anything when in comes to bindings... that is until they fail you. These failures can be isolated incidents/bad luck... or possibly you just rip too hard and broke them to shit, either way definetly a personal preference thing... and normally based on one's own experiences also. That being said I wouldn't regret your choice for the RFD 12... that is unless or until you break them... in which case hopefully your not injured, and you can just smile and pat yourself on the back because now you break shit! ... and most probably shred some serious gnar.

More importantly tho... I was wondering if there is a Tyrolia product that will give the locked in feel of a Salomon 916 ... or the Look PX15 or PX18... basically metal-heavy-duty type feel. I currently don't like my Fishcher FX17s all that much and I know I've seen Mojo 20s and FX18s that seem to be beefier in the heel section at least... Anybody know for sure?
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Tyrolias will prerelease constantly if you don't have enough forward pressure, no matter how high you set the DIN. Make sure yours is set properly.

There are basically three different toepieces: the SLD toe (DIN to 11), the LD toe (DIN to 12), and the HD toe (DIN 14 and up, also used in the Mojo). The mechanisms are basically the same, but as you move up from SLD to LD to HD, they are made much more solidly and have less diagonal toe release. I personally wouldn't trust the SLD toe for anyone but a beginner or low intermediate, and even the LD is dicey on wide skis due to the diagonal toe release (wide skis put a large torque on your bindings).

The Railflex system works well and is easy to set for different sole lengths...plus you can mount plates on all your skis and swap bindings around between them, so you only need one pair of bindings and multiple $10 plates. This takes about two minutes and a screwdriver.

I skied LD12 Railflexes for a while. They work fine, with the caveat that I wouldn't put them on skis over 100mm, because the Railflex system adds some torsional slop and the LD toe isn't as stiff as the HD toe. The widest Railflex brakes are about 95mm anyway (regular Tyrolia brakes WILL NOT WORK).

For any ski over 100mm, I would use a flat binding with the HD toe. For your MSPs, the LD12 Railflex should be OK if you don't mind the extra height.

Hope this helps.
    I had some LD 12 Railflexes on my old Bluehouse Districts that I think were 105 under the boot and had no pre-release issues with them and liked the fact that I could easily move them back for powder and then centered for harder snow. They came with wide brakes, I think they were 110 as I didn't need to bend then to fit the Districts. I quickly sold the Districts, as they didn't have the deeper snow characteristics I had hoped for and I bought some Movement Thunders and Goliaths. I put the railflex bindings on the Thunders and again, never had any issues with them and the Thunders are what I pushed the hardest in my quiver. I know I don't rip the gnar like many here, so if your doing expert stuff/hucking, etc, look elsewhere, but for normal alpine applications, I thought they were a great binding. Easy to travel with, as you can slide them off the track to fit more skis in your bag, easily adjusted forward or back of center and easily adjusted for different size bsl so you can let a buddy try your skis. The extra height was good for the Thunders, as it may have acted like a carving plate? It made it very easy to get the skis on an edge and they were very quick edge to edge.
    Last edited by liv2ski; 03-10-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Bump - Any shop mags care to comment on the matching of the mounting holes between the various bindings lines. That could be helpful to the mags out there with used ski purchases. Railflex plates pretty much are the exception since they can be adjusted once the plate is mounted without redrilling.

Fischer bindings are also just rebadged Tyrolia bindings. Biggest problem with them is that there is no toe height adjustment (difficult to get Vibram soled boots in there), and if your boots don't have replaceable toe inserts (like Salomon boots don't. Fischer boots do), then the active AFD will definitely spit you out fast.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

ninthward will have salomon bindings for 2009-10.

i have a tyrolia jig. i'll look in the morning to see if its labeled for which bindings. i would image it would mount all bindings without a plate/rail.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

^^^^^I think the pattern is the same for all non-rail bindings. Even with the freeflex plates.
    SL toe is shit. Real intermediate binding with least boot contact and elastic travel of the brand. I think the main difference between the LD and HD toe is the upward release pressure. There may also be a few 14 DIN's around with the LD toe, not sure. None of them are particularly torsionally rigid. Not at all, but they seem to release consistently.
    The lateral heel only start to move sideways later in the elastic travel of the heel, so you already have to be on your way out for it to work, although I'm pretty sure I felt it do something once(?)
    That's all for now.
    btw, I have LD12's mounted without the extra lift (LD12S) on a pair of first year (06-07?) Pipe Cleaners. They pwnt face on the east coast. I just used them as my all mountain ski. Think lighter, faster PE. Didn't notice any torsional slop on the 85mm waist. Not sure I would anyway.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Tech Manuals:
    2008-09 2007-08 2006-07

Spare parts

Technical data 2008-09 Searchable technical data database going back to 1996-97

The corollary being, of course, that with properly set forward pressure, they rock.

I've had prerelease issues -- particularly as the bindings get older -- with Salomon 810 and 912 bindings, with Look P-series, and of course with Markers. Never with Tyrolias. YMMV, of course.

even the LD is dicey on wide skis due to the diagonal toe release (wide skis put a large torque on your bindings).
    That's probably fair. That said, I have a pair of Fischer-branded demo-track LD12s on AMC 79s, and have had zero issues. 205 pounds, usually set DIN at 9.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    ^^^^^I think the pattern is the same for all non-rail bindings. Even with the freeflex plates.
    Not quite, but almost all. Check the tech manual.
    Last edited by alpinedad; 03-31-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    not counting days 2016-17

Ok, so question. I used some 4Frnt VCT's with the new DBL binding from 4Frnt on it..the DBL 15. This was the Tyrolia one..not the Vist one for sure. It was one of the heavier bindings I had ever felt. They, a guy I know put some Tyrolia peak 15's on his Bibby's and they were one of the lightest bindings I had ever felt. Why the difference?

The newer high DIN mojos have no diagonal heel release and seem real burly.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Just bumping this because of some research. I found a helpful thread on here from a few years back (2005) discussing the jigs reported by Core Shot:

Drill template 92 (162 588)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, found some google-cached tyrolia mounting manuals that confirm that a 92 template mounting jig is the only one that will work (and seems to have been around and unchanged for quite a while).

Basically, the only jig you need from Tyrolia is a "92" except for the "Drill Template Railflex" which started in 2003/04 (but railflex is its own jig).
    the new binders (mojo) and the Fishcher X14 and X17 all seem to be the same classic pattern.
    Why don't all binding companies keep it this simple?

I'm posting it here for posterity.

Here's the list as of 2004 for "Drill template 92 (162 588) "
    This jig has BLUE handles.

2003/04
    Free Flex Plus 10 (X), Free Flex Plus 8 (X), Free Flex Plus 10, Free Flex Plus 8 LD, Free Flex Plus 7, LD 12 Cyber, LD 12 S, LD 12, SL 110 Carve ABS, SL 110 S ABS, SL 110 ABS, SL 100 ABS, SL 100, SL 100 Carve, SL 70 Carve ABS, SL 70 ABS, SL 70, TD 8, T 6 Speed Plate 15, Carve Plate 13 SLR, Carve Plate 9 SLR,

2002/03
    Free Flex Plus 10, Free Flex Plus 8, Free Flex Plus 7, Power Select Freeride 8*, Cyber Carbon D 9 SX, Cyber D8SX,TD8TS, LD 12 Cyber, LD 12, LD 10, SL 110 ABS, SL 100 Carve ABS, SL 100 Carve, SL 100 ABS, SL 100, Symrent 4, SL 70 Carve ABS, SL 70 ABS, SL 70, T 6, Carve Plate 13 SL, Speed Plate 15, Carve Plate 9 SL

2001/02
    Free Flex Plus 10 Free Flex Plus 8, Free Flex Plus 7, Power Select Freeride 9*, Power Select Freeride 8*, Cyber Carbon D 9 SX, Cyber D 8 SX, Cyber SL 110, TD 8 TS, SL110 Carve ABS, SL 110 ABS, SL 100 Carve ABS, SL 100 Carve, SL 100 ABS, SL 100, Symrent 4, SL 70 Carve ABS, SL 70 ABS, SL 70, TD 9 T, T 6, Super Carve Plate 23 X, Carve Plate 13 SL, Speed Plate, Carve Plate 9 SL, Carve Plate PS,

Earlier lines prior to 2001
    Free Flex Plus 10, Free Flex Plus 8, Power Select Freeride 9*, Power Select Freeride 8* Power Select Freeride 7* Power Select 9*, Power Select 8* Power Select 9 Rent*, Power Select 8 Rent*, Power Select Freeride SL110*, Power Select 8 Rent* Demo, Cyber Carbon D 9, Cyber D 9, Cyber D 9z, Cyber D 8, Cyber 8, Cyber 7, Cyber 6, Cyber 4, Cyber Free Flex, TD 8 TS, SL 110 Carve ABS, SL 110 ABS, SL 110, SL 100 Carve ABS, SL 100 Carve, SL 100 ABS TS, SL 100 ABS, SL 100 TS, SL100, SL 70 Carve ABS, SL 70 ABS, SL 70, TD 9 T, T 6 (99), Symrent 4, Free Flex 9 World Cup, Free Flex 9 Racing, Free Flex 8 Racing, Free Flex 9T, Carve Flex 6, Carve Flex 4, T 7, T 6, T 5, T 4, T 6.7, TD 9T, TD 9, TD 8, T 6.5, T 5.6, T 5.6i, T 5.6, T 5.6i, Super Carve Plate, Speed Plate, Carve Plate TS, Carve Plate PS, Carve Plate 9, Carve Plate, Easy Carver
    Full thread discussion is here:
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39249"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39249[/ame]
    Last edited by RShea; 07-15-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Elan ELD 14.0, 125mm wide skis, 100kg dude. Usually I ride din set to 12. Does that binding have that diagonal release? Little bit worried that it might be too sloppy binding, but I could get really good deal on it.

Lots of deals around on the 15's-any preferences between older diagonal heel and newer
    heel?
    I'm sorry, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonBand View Post
    Do you really think that McCain would havfe been better I mean he was old and if he died palin would have taken control witch would have been unaceptable for this country it would have fallen apart! Obama is doing quiet well in my opinion he is trying to get healthcare for everyone that needs it and is dealing with other stuff to the only reason you hate him is because black

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Ok, so question. I used some 4Frnt VCT's with the new DBL binding from 4Frnt on it..the DBL 15. This was the Tyrolia one..not the Vist one for sure. It was one of the heavier bindings I had ever felt. They, a guy I know put some Tyrolia peak 15's on his Bibby's and they were one of the lightest bindings I had ever felt. Why the difference?
    No diagonal release on the heel saves a lot of weight as the mechanics are simpler.

The other difference is the base plate. Much lower to the ski and screw length has been shortened (the bit outside the ski) to make the mount stronger.

Holds the heel down a bit too much for my liking, but is one of the most solidly built bindings out there. IMO.

Some other Tyrolia stuff that I found helpful

Tech Manuals
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56329"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56329[/ame]

New MOJO
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=tyrolia

Brake Bending
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=tyrolia

EDIT: bad link
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

More info on brake bending thread:

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176041"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176041[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Sillygoat View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the choice of an "inferior" or lighter weight, or lower din or anything when in comes to bindings... that is until they fail you. These failures can be isolated incidents/bad luck... or possibly you just rip too hard and broke them to shit, either way definetly a personal preference thing... and normally based on one's own experiences also. That being said I wouldn't regret your choice for the RFD 12... that is unless or until you break them... in which case hopefully your not injured, and you can just smile and pat yourself on the back because now you break shit! ... and most probably shred some serious gnar.

More importantly tho... I was wondering if there is a Tyrolia product that will give the locked in feel of a Salomon 916 ... or the Look PX15 or PX18... basically metal-heavy-duty type feel. I currently don't like my Fishcher FX17s all that much and I know I've seen Mojo 20s and FX18s that seem to be beefier in the heel section at least... Anybody know for sure?
    FreeFlex 20's. All metal construction (toe and heel).I use 'em on my Fatypus Alotta's & have had no issues with them.(I even ran them through a set of gates to show-up a CSIA examiner)

Are there any maggots out there still riding on old ass tyrolias. I'm talking about the same way people like old sallys and rossis... If the FKS and the 997 have pretty much changed cosmetically, I was basically figuring the same for old tys. I have some 790s that go to a DIN of 13 and are metal heels and some even older 590s that have metal toes and heels and go to a DIN of 14. The heel looks to be pretty much the same, and the toe of the 790s too... 590s are a little funky looking in the toe but I'm thinking I'll still give them a shot.
    The 790s I've skied and are on some sick sally equip gaper skis... no problems so far.
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

Pretty sure all of the x90 series Tyrolias are off the indemnified list (not an issue if you're mounting up yourself) and that's a pretty good indicator that you probably shouldn't be trusting these models at this point. There were major changes in the design of the current models over the x90 stuff. Keep in mind that the current model designs have been around for at least 10 years with pretty much only changes in paint and model designations over the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    Fischer bindings are also just rebadged Tyrolia bindings. Biggest problem with them is that there is no toe height adjustment (difficult to get Vibram soled boots in there), and if your boots don't have replaceable toe inserts (like Salomon boots don't. Fischer boots do), then the active AFD will definitely spit you out fast.
    Is there any problem using something like a Garmont Endorphin (with alpine soles) with the active AFD? I've had no problem with them on Fischer X17 (or whatever the 8-17 DIN binding is called) with a flat AFD, but I'm not so sure about my Mojo 15's with the tank track AFD. I was able to rip the Endorphin out of the toe sideways with my hands at 12 DIN - didn't test it with any other boots though.

If the flat AFD works, I can't imagine any reason why the tractor tread wouldn't.
    not counting days 2016-17