Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Root, those are wood-fired 'artisanal' pizzas...different category.
    If they weren't so yuppie-stingy, they would make those pies 22"...in which case, folding would be appropriate.

OK, let's move local...who does the best proper slice near you, (NOT in NYC or Chicago!)
    I vote Wildlife Brewing in Victor.
    But damn, there was some mobile slice wagon at the Jackson Hole Music Festival last year, I believe outta Bozeman, that did that shit RIGHT. HUGE slice, fold mandatory.
    how good is the pie at Wildlife?

i should get over there, the pizza in JH sucks, with the exception of the VC, which easily gets my vote for best pizza on this side of the pass

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    That is both oxymoronic and moronic at the same time.

I'ma gunna maka the pizza tomorrow nowa too. Ima gunna goa homa ata luncha and starta the dougha.

I'll have to run up to Van after work and get some san marzano and some nice proscuitto. Then I'll be set.
    You can hate on PG's all you want, and I'll admit, their pizza has gone waaay downhill. Ate there for the first time in about 15 years and it wasn't very good. but it was awesome when I was a kid.

But saying that good pizza can't come out of chain is dumb. There are plenty of great pizza places in NY that have multiple locations.

Wildlife is really, really good.
    I am always a little shocked and impressed.
    His beer is getting good, too.
    Worth a road-trip.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Do you know the place I'm talking about?
    No. You can PM me the name....... if you want to live (see below)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I'm not gonna say it was NY good, but it was honestly better than i would have ever thunk. Turns out there is a Jesuit compound there, filled with Italians who train campesinos to make cathedral ornamentation. We stayed at the monastary, and I got to talking with one of the bakers (they make perhaps the best bread in the country) about Pizza dough at altitude, and he suggested I try their bread dough. They had Italian canned tomatoes, made their own mozzerella and proscuitto, and imported their own olive oil. It was cool.
    I'll try to remeber the name of the town...
    Interesting. I would expect the potential for that kind of thing around here with so many families with deep roots back many generations from the old Itialian country. An old lady across the alley's been here forever and I still don't think she can speak hardly any english - grows all sorts of good vegies in the back yard, cooks all the time... and decades ago, I hear her late husband had the pizza parlor.

She also has the fattest dogs I've ever seen.

Amicas on 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Every other pizza place out here is, at best, edible.
    Biga only barely gets the "edible" label? Not even "decent"?

I'm not really an accomplished pizza traveler but my sister in law speaks Italian, lives in Italy right now, and claims Biga is "damn good" (in a thick german accent).

So, for whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Amicas on 2nd
    They were better back when they were Il Vicino when Tom & Sandy were starting the chain thing. Both aspen wood oven hippie-ish/healthy... which is pretty good sometimes, but not really what you think of when you think pizza.

Moonlight in Salida I think has the best crust thing down locally here. Even works on the take and bake.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Biga only barely gets the "edible" label? Not even "decent"?

I'm not really an accomplished pizza traveler but my sister in law speaks Italian, lives in Italy right now, and claims Biga is "damn good" (in a thick german accent).

So, for whatever that's worth.

Biga is awesome - I eat there fairly often, and it is one of the four reasonably priced restaurants in this town that I am happy to pay money to, but its just not pizza. Its fancy yuppy food made up to look like a pizza. Proper pizza needs to be greasier, and it sure as hell should never have (gasp!) fruit on it.

Fair enough. I don't agree pizza should be greasy, but whatever.

What are the other three places?
    Last edited by RootSkier; 03-05-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Proper pizza needs to be greasier, and it sure as hell should never have (gasp!) fruit on it.
    Dood, you keep digging your hole deeper and deeper. Granted, putting pineapple on pizza is asinine, but I've had some killer pizza in italy with apple and gorgonzola.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Fair enough. I don't agree pizza should be greasy, but whatever.

What are the other three places?
    vietnam noodle, dino cafe, mac. river (not actually that good, but I like the lasagna).

Anywhere I'm missing?

Never been to vietnam noodle.

I don't eat many burritos anymore, but I think El Diablo is pretty good for these parts. Homemade salsa and everything. Legit meat that I'm not scared of doesn't hurt, either.

As for the Dino...a shadow of it's former self.

yeah, I hear the dino has gone downhill (I'm too new to know). Its still pretty good though. El Diablo will fill me up, but I'm never that excited to eat there.

Back on topic, I will admit that Snowbowl has the best non-yuppy pizza in town, so that's nice.

On that topic, I totally would've eaten that fallen soldier last weekend.

Wow. Most of you guys are major nerds. For the record I have been to nearly every state and I too have munched on great pizza back East. But giving me the 3rd degree is weak. Also your responses just display how judgmental all you people are. I'm not butthurt, but fuck give it a rest.

Makes you wonder why women don't post here much anymore. All you guys are a bunch of fucking bonobos with your dicks out comparing them to each other.

Hey, I'm just sayin'.

Hopefully I'll have more opportunities to get me some great Eastern pizza when I'm out of grad school and have more time to travel back there!! At least I know who to ask now.
    bc-lovah

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

How many people had to go eat pizza for lunch (or gonna get one later) today after this? I know I ate my lunch by 11:15.

I admit it... I had to go look up "bonobos." Not me. I have the wrong hair color.

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    Makes you wonder why women don't post here much anymore.

I'm positive you being a woman has nothing to do with replies you've gotten WRT your personal taste in the pizza.

OK, while I'll always be jealous that you can take a day off for a powder dump in non-pathetic areas, I can still be at the Fairfield Pepe's in about, oh, 5 minutes. Half pepperoni, half bacon, onion over everything. Hmmm, maybe I'll call, they're open for another 45 minutes....

Oh, and Bar's not so bad if you find yourself on the other side of New Haven (or Bulldog, or Modern, or......)

if its ny style always fold. others it depends on the slice, most gourmet personal pizzas are too small to fold. if the double fold is folding 2 slices, ive definitely done that. sometimes it just has to be done.
    "If you are not nervous about your passion, you are not passionate enough about it."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tionaries3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    OK, while I'll always be jealous that you can take a day off for a powder dump in non-pathetic areas, I can still be at the Fairfield Pepe's in about, oh, 5 minutes. Half pepperoni, half bacon, onion over everything. Hmmm, maybe I'll call, they're open for another 45 minutes....

Oh, and Bar's not so bad if you find yourself on the other side of New Haven (or Bulldog, or Modern, or......)

Its snowing here...

Although I am currently eating McDonald's.

Touché.

This thread inspired me last night - made my first deep dish pizza from scratch. No pictures of the dough, it helps that we have one of those kitchen aid mixers.

Directions:

Layered the pan with dough, added in: Tomato/paste, Canadian bacon, pineapple, mozzarella, cracked red pepper, oregano, salt and a few other light spices.

Laid another layer of dough on top, added in: Tomato/paste, mozzarella, Parmesan .

Pinched the two layers together around the rim to form the outside of the crust and cut the remaining dough off. Poke some holes in the top layer with a knife to let the heat escape from the bottom pouch (I forgot this step and remembered after the center was rising almost over the top )

In the oven (375 for 45/50 min - cool 10 min):

Finished product:

It was great, my only criticism is that the dough wasn't as "pie-crusty" as I would have liked. I think I need to add butter to get that pie-crust taste and perhaps a few more relevant spices to whatever the main ingredients are in the middle. Also make the dough a bit thinner in the beginning. Anyone have any great pie crust recipes?
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde View Post
    Any NY style pizza worthy of the name must be folded.

Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson, NY FTW!!! Man I miss that place

The Scicilian at Colosseo is the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post

CNY style, which means NY style pizza, eaten with blue cheese dressing on the side to dip into. FKNA only way to do it. Usually have to fold to get it into the blue cheese
    Where would one go for a good CNY slice?

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    My God it is. I don't remember if it was the 'Special' or something else, but it was fully loaded with peppers, onions, mushrooms ect...

damn I really miss that place. Colosseo for Pizza and Wunderbar for Deli food...
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post

Where would one go for a good CNY slice?
    It depends on where you are, kind of a spread out region. What town are you looking in? Yesterday I was in Ithaca, there I'd normally say Mama T's, but it depends on who is working, yesterday I ate Collegetown Pizza (I'd say its only OK). In Syracuse (and outskirts) Pavone's is usually a good bet, they've got a few locations. Johnny's is another good Syracuse joint.
    Last edited by dumpy; 03-06-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.