Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Edge compressed inwards, how to fix?

Hit a rail yesterday, there was a part sticking up, no my edge is compressed straigh in towards the center of the ski, not up towards the topsheet like usual.

Here are some pictures

How should I got about replacing this, i like these skis. the fix has to be strong, it is right under foot, and I hit rails regularly as these are my park skis.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

The only way to fix that effectively is to do an edge replacement. That i think is best done in a shop. You cut out the edge and base in the bad area. You obtain a piece of edge and trim it to fit right. gets some edge screw and screw it in and then base patch or base weld over the edge.

duker speaks truth, although if that was my ski I would just dull and deburr the edge right there, flatten the base bulge and give'r.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    although if that was my ski I would just dull and deburr the edge right there, flatten the base bulge and give'r.
    +1 Detune the shit out of it and flatten the base.

I think this is one of those times you're better off half-assing it. With heavy rail abuse, I'd think an edge replacement would fail before you want to retire the ski.

hammer it down so its flat and fill the sidewall with epoxy and call it good. replacement will cuase more damage and more durability issues than jsut rallying them.

if the are park skis and you hit rails alot, then this is only the first of many anyhow.

less is more.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Theres nothing really to hammer. the edge stayed flat, just the inward force caused the base to bubble up. I think also, that if i just ground the base there, it would be pretty close to base when done.

How bout cutting some of the base out, and bending the edge as close to straight as I can get, then filling with epoxy/Ptex
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post

How bout cutting some of the base out, and bending the edge as close to straight as I can get, then filling with epoxy/Ptex
    that's exactly what I would be doing

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    hammer it down so its flat and fill the sidewall with epoxy and call it good.
    x2. just did the exact thing with my neighbors ski this weekend and it came out really good. I put a thin piece of wood over the base and pounded against that. if you doing park stuff, you won't even notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Yes do that.
    I would try it this way:
    Remove the heel piece
    Remove some base material.
    Get a couple of pipe clamps, and clamp one on either side of that bent edge. (clamp goes from one side of ski to other)
    Get a hammer and punch, and attempt to get a localized hit on that bend.
    Keep a close look to be sure you are not making it worse.
    You won't get it perfect but you might straighten it a bit
    File down the remaining burrs/high spots.
    Dry the damaged area out real good
    fill with epoxy and or ptex. clamp with scrapers if necessary.
    After a couple days of curing file/ sand the high spots.
    Install heel piece and go.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Quote Originally Posted by 1wsguy View Post
    Yes do that.
    I would try it this way:
    Remove the heel piece
    Remove some base material.
    Get a couple of pipe clamps, and clamp one on either side of that bent edge. (clamp goes from one side of ski to other)
    Get a hammer and punch, and attempt to get a localized hit on that bend.
    Keep a close look to be sure you are not making it worse.
    You won't get it perfect but you might straighten it a bit
    File down the remaining burrs/high spots.
    Dry the damaged area out real good
    fill with epoxy and or ptex. clamp with scrapers if necessary.
    After a couple days of curing file/ sand the high spots.
    Install heel piece and go.

I tried that on a ski with thinner edges and I snapped the edge. You could make it worse.
    These are park skis for rails? Keep hitting rails, who cares.

would a vise be a better way to bend things back and when you do start skiing this ski again mark your skis left & right

make that damaged edge your OUTSIDE edge at all times ...the outside edge doesnt have to take much force ,
    unless of course you tele

Resurrecting this old thread with the same issue the OP had— edge compression inward toward the center of the ski, base bubbled up. Must have hit a rock from the side. No edge or top sheet cracking, doubt there is structural from what I can tell. Not a park ski, but a beloved thrice drilled Praxis MVP rock ski. Could I just cut out the raised base, epoxy any area that could let water in, ptex, detune and call it a day? In hindsight it did feel a little grabby in certain situations on the ruts/flats as-is. Might notice it more on a groomer, not sure. Didn’t notice it in softer snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5226.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	909.1 KB 
ID:	309797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5224.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	309798
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 01-08-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Don't remove base material. Cut the base perpendicular to the edge about 20mm, peel up two triangular flaps of base, hammer edge back into shape, heat/glue/clamp everything together. Base grind if you're picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread with the same issue the OP had— edge compression inward toward the center of the ski, base bubbled up. Must have hit a rock from the side. No edge or top sheet cracking, doubt there is structural from what I can tell. Not a park ski, but a beloved thrice drilled Praxis MVP rock ski. Could I just cut out the raised base, epoxy any area that could let water in, ptex, detune and call it a day? In hindsight it did feel a little grabby in certain situations on the ruts/flats as-is. Might notice it more on a groomer, not sure. Didn’t notice it in softer snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5226.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	909.1 KB 
ID:	309797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5224.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	309798
    That ski fell over and hit something or something fell on it, resulting in the side damage.
    Fix your own edge compression thread.
    You need some base material, not just ptex.
    Give'r eh
    Last edited by tuco; 01-09-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Don't remove base material. Cut the base perpendicular to the edge about 20mm, peel up two triangular flaps of base, hammer edge back into shape, heat/glue/clamp everything together. Base grind if you're picky.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    That ski fell over and hit something or something fell on it, resulting in the side damage.
    Fix your own edge compression thread.
    You need some base material, not just ptex.
    Give'r
    Thanks guys. Think I’ll bring them into the shop if that is the proper fix, I don’t trust my skills and I really hope I can keep these skis in the rotation for a few more years.

Tuco- interesting theory, didn’t think of that. It’s been a bony year in NE, as usual, so I’m constantly checking for damage throughout the day. I am sure this happened from either the last few runs of the day, or somehow in my ski box on the way home (?). Toward the end of the day were some mega wind gusts coming through that were flinging the skis around our Gondi cabin ski rack, it was so bad that we unloaded at mid-mountain station and brought our skis into the cabin for the rest of the ride. Maybe it happened then by slamming against another ski, or the skis themselves slamming into each other? But if I were forced to guess, I honestly think I just schussed or aired into a rock from the side in a tight situation in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Thanks guys. Think I’ll bring them into the shop if that is the proper fix, I don’t trust my skills and I really hope I can keep these skis in the rotation for a few more years.

Tuco- interesting theory, didn’t think of that. It’s been a bony year in NE, as usual, so I’m constantly checking for damage throughout the day. I am sure this happened from either the last few runs of the day, or somehow in my ski box on the way home (?). Toward the end of the day were some mega wind gusts coming through that were flinging the skis around our Gondi cabin ski rack, it was so bad that we unloaded at mid-mountain station and brought our skis into the cabin for the rest of the ride. Maybe it happened then by slamming against another ski, or the skis themselves slamming into each other? But if I were forced to guess, I honestly think I just schussed or aired into a rock from the side in a tight situation in the trees.
    C'mon man! I laid you the blueprint in the FYOFEC thread. If you have tools already, just order the material you need and go for it. I believe in you doood.

Maybe I should start a mail order ski repair business.

I’d take that ski in for a grind to get it flat and that’s about it with it only being a rock ski. Or depending how frugal you are and if it’s truly a rock ski, I’d sand it flat at home. Cutting out edges and base material and replacing it won’t be any stronger than thinner base there. If it starts getting too thin, you can cut it out and replace any way.

Keep it simple for rock skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I’d take that ski in for a grind to get it flat and that’s about it with it only being a rock ski. Or depending how frugal you are and if it’s truly a rock ski, I’d sand it flat at home. Cutting out edges and base material and replacing it won’t be any stronger than thinner base there. If it starts getting too thin, you can cut it out and replace any way.

Keep it simple for rock skis.
    It'll grind through to the edge tab that is bent up(the bubble). Edge does not need to be cut.
    Cut out damaged base(cut base &patch @ same time, clamp peependicular to running surface @ bent edge area, tap edge straight. Clean all surfaces and flame treat base material epoxy it, put in patch and clamp that shit with a little heat blowing on it while curing.

Thanks guys. I don’t have all the tools and I’m a milennialoser with my hands compared to you lot, working on that. Will report back with the shop recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    It'll grind through to the edge tab that is bent up(the bubble). Edge does not need to be cut.
    Cut out damaged base(cut base &patch @ same time, clamp peependicular to running surface @ bent edge area, tap edge straight. Clean all surfaces and flame treat base material epoxy it, put in patch and clamp that shit with a little heat blowing on it while curing.
    Might hit the tab, might not. I’d still hand sand it a little. If you get in to the tab, go with what you recommend. If it gets flat enough to ski, throw some wax on it.

If those were my rock skis, I’d put a piece of 4x4 under the damage and whack the trouble spot with a 2 lb mallet and go skiing.

If they were not rock skis, I’d put more time into a repair.

To each their own I guess. You still have a delam in that area.

Still a rock ski. I agree with your fix...I'm just lazy when it comes to skis I don't really care about.

These are rock skis but I consider all skis shades of rock skis. These are the kind I’m hoping to still be riding 3-4 years from now if possible. They’re only rock skis because I got them cheap, they’ve been really durable IME and they’ve got a bunch mounts. This is the only real issue they have besides the holes.

Then Tuco has the fix.

Thanks dewds