Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Revy Mags: Anyone know this guy?

Geez, 24 years old, pilot with a stolen helicopter hangs himself in jail. Sad story.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-suspected-of/

Jail suicide victim was B.C. man suspected of transporting pot

A Canadian man who hanged himself in a Spokane County Jail cell Friday was there on suspicion of delivering 350 pounds of marijuana to undercover DEA agents in northern Washington, federal authorities say.
    Samuel Jackson Lindsay-Brown, 24, of Revelstoke, B.C., had been charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, said Tom Rice, criminal chief assistant U.S. attorney.

Authorities say Lindsay-Brown delivered the drugs via helicopter to a pre-arranged, remote spot in the Colville National Forest. The DEA agents did not think the shipment would be delivered because of bad weather, but “the helicopter came through the rain, fog and darkness,” Rice said.
    Lindsay-Brown was arrested Feb. 23 as he unloaded the “BC bud,” Rice said. He was alone.

BC bud – a potent variety of marijuana grown in British Columbia – is a multibillion-dollar industry in Canada, Rice said. The seizure of 350 pounds of the cannabis is about average for a DEA bust, he said.

The $1 million helicopter, which a Malakwa, B.C., man reported stolen to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, was seized by the DEA, authorities said.

Lindsay-Brown was not known to law enforcement, according to the RCMP in Revelstoke. The 24-year-old’s suicide prompted a five-hour lockdown in the Spokane County Jail on Friday. The Spokane police major crimes unit was investigating his death.

According to the autopsy, Lindsay-Brown died from strangulation, said Spokane police Sgt. Joe Peterson. Lindsay-Brown, who was alone in the cell, “jammed” a bedsheet into a wall light fixture and hanged himself with the sheet, the detective said.

The last suicide at the jail occurred in February 2004, when an inmate used shoelaces to hang himself, said Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Jay Hughes. In March 2006, another inmate attempted suicide by jumping off a second-story catwalk onto a mezzanine floor, he said.

Lindsay-Brown was not on a suicide watch, jail officials said. “We removed their shoelaces. We removed their cable television,” said Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Dave Reagan. “But we can’t very well remove their linens.”

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Geez, 24 years old, pilot with a stolen helicopter hangs himself in jail. Sad story.

BC bud – a potent variety of marijuana grown in British Columbia – is a multibillion-dollar industry in Canada, Rice said. The seizure of 350 pounds of the cannabis is about average for a DEA bust, he said.

This is awesome!!, goes to show how knowledgeable the DEA is.

Note to DEA: BC is short for British Columbia i.e where it was grown.
    live in a van! That way the snow is always knee deep and fresh at home.

No, but I know a guy named Jackson Lindsay Samuel-Brown. What are the odds?

Love the part we remove their "Cable TV". WTF its jail & they get cable TV, what BS,do the cells have Wifi as well?

Whoa, that is a sad story.

Sidenote: My mommy works for an office in N. ID. that handles this stuff. Seriously cracks me up when she mentions a case with "that strong BC Bud".

No cable TV??

WTF...I'd kill myself too.

Legalize, Regulate and Tax.

What's so hard about that. Make it a source of revenue rather than wasting taxpayer dollars on something that a significant amount of the population uses, and is less harmful than tobacco or alcohol.

/soapbox

Yes. Very sad, bizarre, and just... hard to understand and fathom. He's more from the Nelson area than Revy, I guess he's been living up there though. A nice guy, great mtn biker, which is how first got notice from a lot of people in this area... 10 yrs ago doing big airs at the Fat Tire Fest on his hardtail.

What a week it's been around here.

this is truly sad. the young man at question is a remarkable mtn. bike athlete and his family and himself are more intertwined in the fathom of skiing then any of you F*ks well ever know. God bless u bro, you will be missed!
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-03-2009 at 11:17 PM.

this is a major fucking bummer. TD ditto on your statements. sam was a great kid and this is just fucking wrong.

So Sad.

Yet another victim of American Drug Policy.
    "FKNA man, that is some master looking carpentry skillz yo." - FreakofSnow

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    this is truly sad. the young man at question is a remarkable mtn. bike athlete and his family and himself are more intertwined in the fathom of skiing then any of you F*ks well ever know. God bless u bro, you will be missed!

I fail to see where calling people in this thread "fucks" helps the situation. The fact that he can ride a bike has no bearing on the fact he was a drug smuggler and couldn't deal with getting caught so he killed himself.

Stringing yourself up in a jail cell gets no sympathy here.

I feel bad for his family.

MF

The fact that he can ride a bike the way he did speaks volumes to Sam Brown's character and talent. The fact that he was transporting BC-bud across the boarder - in a stolen helicopter...in a storm...350lbs...alone - fits with his character as I remember it. I don't know what he got up to in the past few years, but I remember meeting him as a trail building teen and being impressed with his sincerity, conviction, vision, and work ethic. I don't agree with what he was up to but it seems as though he went out in a way that was consistent with his character. I admire that and I will remember and respect the Sam Brown that I knew.

The fact that you, Eastside, view a complex situation in such simple terms, with so little empathy, proves that you are a F*k.
    "FKNA man, that is some master looking carpentry skillz yo." - FreakofSnow

I have more empathy than you will ever know. The fact that his friends are grieving because he was a selfish turd and killed himself is why I have no sympathy.

Yeah maybe he journeyed through the heart of darkness to deliver much need weed to the U.S in a stolen helicopter, but when it came time to pay up, he did not have the stomach for it.

I have the luxury of not being emotionally involved in this particular story and I certainly am not out to piss people off. However, for those who knew the dude, remember what good things you can about him and I will be the one to say he is a coward for taking the easy way out a leaving everyone who loved him to pick up the pieces

MF

Sad story.

Wish he had made different decisions all around.

Does not compute:

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I have more empathy than you will ever know.

Weed is a controlled substance? Doh.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Quote Originally Posted by SJP View Post
    The fact that he can ride a bike the way he did speaks volumes to Sam Brown's character and talent.
    It may speak to his talent, but his character?

Anytime a 24 yo's life ends, it's a sad thing, regardless of the choices he made in life. His family & friends must be devastated. It's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleHoar View Post
    No cable TV??

WTF...I'd kill myself too.
    No kidding, how the hell is a man supposed to spend his incarceration if it isn't watching Law and Order?

That sucks on many levels. Condolences to those who knew him.

I'm sure the prospect of many many many years (mandatory minimums? life?) in a US prison for a victimless crime would be incredibly hard to bear.

I'm not so sure it's a 'victimless crime', Rootskier. I agree the consumers generally aren't victims nor are those around them. Sometimes but probably less than with alcohol. However, since it is considered a criminal activity and there are billions of contraband dollars at stake, it attracts an element of society and organized crime that certainly can't be described as leaving people they touch 'victimless'. I don't think Sam was delivering out of the goodness of his heart. Stealing a helicopter, smuggling large quanities of pot across the border isn't an act of being a mellow pot-smoking hippy. He was in it for the money and was likely tied into a net of people who probably aren't of the best character. He probably got greedy and was willing to knowingly break the law in order to make money. That is the obvious basis of SJP's comment about him being a victim of American Drug Policy. I understand that comment but don't really agree. The drug policy facilitated the greed but I wouldn't call him a victim of it. He was a victim of his own greed and willingness to break the law to satisfy it. The fact he could get caught should have been recognized by him and there should have been a willingness to face it, if he did get caught. Taking his own life under those circumstances is a poor choice, leaving his family and friends to have to deal with it. All in all, it's a very sad outcome, not only for his family and friends but for all of us. He obviously had some true talents and skills (24 y.o. heli pilots aren't that common, for example) that are now gone and not benefitting anyone. He made some bad choices but could have turned that around and been a contributor to the greater good. The whole scenario simply sucks.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 03-04-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Should have said SJP, not Eastside. Sorry!

The D.E.A. have blood on their hands, yet again. What a waste. NORML Now!!

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    The D.E.A. have blood on their hands, yet again. What a waste. NORML Now!!
    Bullshit. Blaming the DEA for this dude is fucking stupid and you know it. Fact is if this had happened on the southern border and the suspect had been a Mexican hauling meth, no one here would give two shits.

Whatever you think about weed is irrelevant. The dude went big time, smuggled drugs into the United States and was caught. I would say the blame rests squarely on the suspect.

MF

Sad, sad story.

I didn't know what Sammy had been up to the past, few years and now I don't really care to. Whose to say why he ended things this way, but other than spending a long time in an American jail, things could possibly been more dire if he got out on bail and returned here to Canada. Gangs run the trade up here and one only has to turn on the news to hear how fast they're "offing" each other.

The Sam I want to remember is the kid nicknamed "The Worbler" for his soft high pitched voice, who rode and built trails, such as "The Monster" in Kaslo and this amazing piece of artwork near Nelson, known as "The Wheel"

This is Sam riding his creation, that had a gap in one side to ride into tripping it to free up, so you could gerbal the gap to the other side, then ride out the gap onto a bridge. It was weighted so the gap would return to start.

Godspeed Sam!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Bullshit. Blaming the DEA for this dude is fucking stupid and you know it. Fact is if this had happened on the southern border and the suspect had been a Mexican hauling meth, no one here would give two shits.

Whatever you think about weed is irrelevant. The dude went big time, smuggled drugs into the United States and was caught. I would say the blame rests squarely on the suspect.

MF
    Fully agree

When I was young I got caught up with the wrong crowd & did some things that I regret. I got in trouble with the law & was well aware of the consequences. I like him had no record so it ended up not being a big deal. I did however turn my life around & dumped my old friends. Maybe he did not have the same options I did but his story could have had a happy ending years down the road. I also think that he probably enjoyed the rush from taking big risks as a lot of us on this board do. He just took it to another level. My condolences to his friends & family
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations