Hammock Camping Recs?

So my trusty old Walmart special hammock finally died. I slept in it on a lot of trips over several years. I'm totally convinced that hammock camping is the way to shed weight and sleep more comfortably. All that said, I need a new hammock. I'm seriously considering another Wally special Campers Compact Hammock, but I want to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. Some friends have the Amazonas Traveller Hammock and seem pretty happy with it. I'm just not sure about making the switch from one with spreaders to one without them. Also I typically use a Big Agnes insulated sleeping pag for the R value and it doesn't really move around too much with the mesh hammock. What do the other hammock campers think? I already have a nice lightweight tarp and bug net combo that I'm totally satisfied with, so the all-in-one systems aren't really applicable here. Just trying to get some other thoughts before I head over to the WallyWorld and blow $12 on another one.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I guess for your price range and what looks to be VERY minimalist approach this might not be what you're looking for, but this is simply the most comfortable thing ive slept in. Gets RAVE reviews.

check it out.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ight=hennessey

Yeah, it's not so much a budget issue as it is an issue of being able to use a component system. I have several tents, tarps, and a bivy but in this case I'm just looking for a simple hammock to add to the system. My old Campers Compact Hammock served me well on the AT, in Glacier NP, and all over Colorado. Now that it's time to replace it I want to be sure that I'm going the right way.

The Hennessey system is mighty sweet though.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    You need the buy off the street vendor in Mexico hammock. Cheap and has worked great.

This one keeps coming up on my FB feed. Seems like the seller is a scam, but the concept is super cool. Is anyone aware of a legit seller for this style?

^^^^ on my FB feed a lot too.....I know nothing about hammocks but I’d think it would swing like a mother since you are perpendicular to the lines..

I use a BIAS Hammock. Slightly more money than a walmart set up but a lot more durable and packs up small and lite. If you already have a tarp and net set up this is great, get the two ply and you can slide your sleeping pad in between the two layers. I'm a big guy and have loved this set up, use it to backpack and bike pack. Plus it supports a small company instead of a big box store.

http://www.buttinasling.com/

I been thinking of going this route. Not to hi-jack, any opinions on "fully equipping" a hammock (i.e.: with sleeping pad, mosquito net, winterizing, etc.). Or at that point, do you just keep the tent?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Man, there's no fucking way could sleep more than a drunken midday nap in a hammock. All night in one of those would be miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Man, there's no fucking way could sleep more than a drunken midday nap in a hammock. All night in one of those would be miserable.
    I thought the same thing until I bought a real Mayan hammock and traveled in the Yucatan. Takes a little getting used to, but I slept like a baby.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Babies don't sleep well. Unless you mean crying every 2 hours and wanting to suck some tit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well, I'll grant you the tit sucking, but you must have had a shitty baby, waking up every 2 hours?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hammock camping is the shit. I made my own about 3 years ago and I still use it all the time. It's ridiculously cheap and easy to do and you can customize it to no end with bug netting, tarp, under quilt, over quilt, suspension, etc. Mine is extra long and weighs about a pound and a half including straps.

Check out this guide, and the Hammock Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Well, I'll grant you the tit sucking, but you must have had a shitty baby, waking up every 2 hours?
    Newborn yup. Then a couple wake ups every night until she was 2.5.

So when people use "sleep like a baby" I get a good laugh because it means opposite for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I can only sleep in a hammock with spreaders, but the ones with it are the shit.

I don't save much weight, but the REI QD Air Hammock is stupid simple to use and super comfy.

There are too many cottage manufacturers and I can't keep up with all that hullabaloo.