need some "job" advice...

so i'm planning on taking (at least) fall semester of next year off to work and save up some money so i hopefully won't have to take out too many college loans in the next few years, but i don't know what i'm going to do yet. i've applied for a bunch of wildland firefighter positions, but right now i'm realizing that i should look into other jobs just in case it doesn't work out. being the dumbass that i sometimes am, i didn't really stay on top of getting in touch with all of the places that i applied to and i'm starting to think that most places have done all of their hiring for the season.

now i'm trying to find some other jobs where i'll be spending most of my time outside and i'll have some money in the bank when i head back to school. i am a wfr and by the end of april i should be a w-emt, so i may try to find some guiding-type positions. i've looked into being a raft guide, but since most people don't make much money their first season that doesn't really work for me.

while i would like to make some money, i just really want to take some time off from school to work outside and get out of new england for once. if i wasn't completely broke and had a car i would just dirtbag it for a few months and travel around the west.

Blurred usually needs help in the summer. Seems like the potential for decent $$$ is definitely there.

BSS Guest
    I think you could probably make a bit of money raft guiding if you wanted to really bust your ass all summer (especially on the holidays,) and getting a gig is pretty easy if you aren't a complete tool. Or even if you are. Problem is, you need to get out west on some bigger rivers where there is a bit more money flowing with a better clientele. You usually also need to front the $$ ($500-1000) first for your outfitter's guide school. All said and done you really don't need to be a great guide, you just really need to make sure everybody has fun and are a great host and you kiss their ass = tips will rack up pretty fast.

If you don't have a way to move west, you might want to look into an outward bound type program or something along those lines near you. Although the earning potential is way less.

i've heard of guys clearing 40 grand tree planting one summer. you have to work hard but if you have the drive it's possible. also jobs of that type are always hiring. not sure how common they are where you live but up here (PNW/interior BC) lots of people do it as a summer thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

BSS Guest
    There are also these types of jobs all over the place, along with camp hosts, etc. Not sure what kind of dollar amount you have in mind, but I don't really know of any seasonal type jobs with a WFR that you're gonna get "rich" doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    but I don't really know of any seasonal type jobs with a WFR that you're gonna get "rich" doing.
    i don't expect to get "rich" at all. i'm used to going back to school with about $600 in the bank, i'll feel like a king if i have around $3000 saved up.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    $600 in the bank

-Originally posted by somebody else on TGR