Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    To straighten out mildly bent derailleur hangers, remove the hanger from the bike. Lay a loose piece of vinyl/laminate tile on a flat concrete area like a basement or garage floor, and then lay the hanger on the tile, so that it is resting on the ends of the hanger (the middle part of the hanger is raised). Retrieve hammer from workbench. Pound living shit out of hanger until it is straight. Reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Back to the top. BTW any one got any good ideas for removing a headset besides hammer and old screwdriver?
    Get about a 12-18" length (long enough to go through the headtube and leave enough pipe to grip) of 1" copper pipe. Use a hacksaw to make two perpendicular 2-3" cuts down one end, splitting the pipe into quarters. Bend the quartered ends out a bit so that they are about as wide as the inside of your head tube.

Feed the uncut end through your headtube until the split end passes the cup you are removing, at which point the cut part should pop out, if not use a stick to push a cork or other wedge up into the pipe to force the fingers out. Push back down on the pipe until the quartered bits engage the cup, then apply hammer until removal is achieved. Flip frame and repeat for the other one.

On the headset thing, the suggestion of an old handlebar works way better than the screwdriver. But might have to try the copper tube trick since I cant decide which headset I want to leave in my bike
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

Plumbing tape on the BB threads for mystery creaks.

Stripped bolt heads. Find the smallest open end wrench you have and dremel two "sides" on the bolt head that the wrench will fit on.

Wine bottle corks whittled down and used for bar plugs.

Put a zip tie on your seat stay with the "tail" of the tie next to your rim for a truing guide. Works on the fork too.

A little piece of sandpaper in between the stem and handlebar if it slips. Most of the modern stems don't slip though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by drsmonkey View Post
    Get about a 12-18" length of 1" copper pipe.
    That right there is RAD.

Quote Originally Posted by GapersGoHome View Post
    I once repaired a buddy's FSR linkage cartridge bearing with naught but a zip-tie, McGuyver style.
    zip-ties are useful for many things and you should always have a few in your pack. i've rigged a broken rear derailleur, a snapped brake lever, and chainguide wheel on the trail to get me back to the car.

Use your roommates toothbrush to clean your cassette. Then put the toothbrush back.

Disclaimer: Only do this if said roommate has eaten all of your frozen pizza and drank most of your beer the previous day.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'll have to try this I've had a mystery creak in my BB since I first got my road bike and I have done everything aside from replace it to try and figure out how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDubz View Post
    I'll have to try this I've had a mystery creak in my BB since I first got my road bike and I have done everything aside from replace it to try and figure out how to fix it.
    Make sure it's faced properly too. That's not a ghetto fix though. If you don't have the expensive tool, a shop will have to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Make sure it's faced properly too. That's not a ghetto fix though. If you don't have the expensive tool, a shop will have to do it.
    This is the ghetto fix thread, man. Hammer, chisel and a straight edge and you're good to go.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Found out one of the screws from my FSR stem worked nicely as my Juicy front brake caliper positioning screws last weekend when I lost one. Good in a pinch to get you out of a trail with a functioning brake.
    It's like I died and went to heaven, but then it turned out it wasn't my time, and they sent me to a brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Tire tear: A folded dollar bill does a great job of supporting the tube against a tear, and it'll last forever. If you use a fiver or larger, it's no longer a ghetto fix.
    paper gasket seals works even better for this (ie engine gasket seals). looks like thin cardboard/thick paper but is strong as shit.

Will this work with the outboard BB as well? Truvativ GXP on my stumpy just WILL NOT shut up.

Edit: for funny

If you get a flat and don't have any way to repair it, it is possible to stuff your tire full of leaves and ride out on it. You'll have to restuff a couple times to start off with as the leaves break down.
    how about taking your clothes off and stuffing that in your tire?
    Last edited by snoweater; 05-08-2009 at 04:27 PM.
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

Wine bottle corks whittled down and used for bar plugs.
    Can't tell you you how many times this has saved me out in the middle of the woods.

I'm chugging a bottle of wine, mid ride and when I look down at my bike ......no bar end plugs!

It's a scary situation to find yourself in. That's why I always carry a bottle with me.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

laugh

^^^^ damn I always ride with bagged wine
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Can't tell you you how many times this has saved me out in the middle of the woods.

I'm chugging a bottle of wine, mid ride and when I look down at my bike ......no bar end plugs!

It's a scary situation to find yourself in. That's why I always carry a bottle with me.
    My new bar plugs....

Replace all bottle cage bolts with cleat bolts...they're the same threads. Since many/most people don't run water bottle cages anymore anyway, not a huge loss. A lot of new bikes don't have mounts...in which case this won't work.

Was riding Slickrock last year and came across a woman that had lost a cleat bolt. I ended up short one water bottle cage bolt (I don't run cages anyway) as that fit her cleat and got her going again. Initially we tried to tighten the one remaining bolt to the point that it would work...but there was no chance of that working out.
    [This Space For Rent]

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingBear View Post
    Replace all bottle cage bolts with cleat bolts...they're the same threads. Since many/most people don't run water bottle cages anymore anyway, not a huge loss. A lot of new bikes don't have mounts...in which case this won't work.

Was riding Slickrock last year and came across a woman that had lost a cleat bolt. I ended up short one water bottle cage bolt (I don't run cages anyway) as that fit her cleat and got her going again. Initially we tried to tighten the one remaining bolt to the point that it would work...but there was no chance of that working out.
    I've discovered out of necessity that rotor bolts work for this too....
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    My new bar plugs....
    trainvain wins

By a mile.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

i am totally down w/ ghetto fixes for on-the-trail repairs.

but sometimes you just gotta consider getting the right tool for the job if you're working on the bike in your garage.

fer example, a cassette lockring removal head costs $5. five dollars. i've used mine a thousand times since i bought it 10 years ago. that works out to be half a cent per use. outstanding. also means i haven't fvcked up lockrings. one lockring > the price of the goddamn tool.

re: creaky BB's -- yep teflon tape works, but Ti anti seize paste works well too. and Ti anti seize is one of those wonder materials -- one small tube seems to last a century even when you use it on all kinds of metal interfaces on yer bikes. it's like the opposite of toothpaste tubes, which immediately become near-empty for some reason.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Shoulda checked this thread before i did a recent star nut install (socket trick) on the new fork, but discovered that a section of old aluminum ski pole (cut flat) works very well for pounding in a star nut. it is exactly the right width to hit the middle of the star nut and still let the points bend evenly. just make sure you are holding it parallel with the angle of your fork!

edit: if you cut the pole off about 3-5" below the grip, you can use the grip to hold the pole, and is actually quite a nice star nut installing tool! If the end that contacts the star nut gets bent, just cut a 1/2" off the pole and start over.
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    i am totally down w/ ghetto fixes for on-the-trail repairs.

but sometimes you just gotta consider getting the right tool for the job if you're working on the bike in your garage.

fer example, a cassette lockring removal head costs $5. five dollars. i've used mine a thousand times since i bought it 10 years ago. that works out to be half a cent per use. outstanding. also means i haven't fvcked up lockrings. one lockring > the price of the goddamn tool.

re: creaky BB's -- yep teflon tape works, but Ti anti seize paste works well too. and Ti anti seize is one of those wonder materials -- one small tube seems to last a century even when you use it on all kinds of metal interfaces on yer bikes. it's like the opposite of toothpaste tubes, which immediately become near-empty for some reason.
    x100 on antiseize.

I take back my ice/heat method for crown races; too much work. The padded end of just about any tool you can pound on works, just move it around the race and do it bit by bit.

20 mil PVC tape from the hardware store is a must-have. If you don't mind black tape with white lettering, it's great for cable rub, chainstay protection, etc.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
    Not really "maintenance" but a spare makes a great compression bandage 'til you get your bloody gash out of the woods.
    Gaffers tape.. Lots of it..

Sticking to the theme.
    Using two sticks of wood, duct tape and zip ties to get my buddys broken frame rideable. Got him home.

Using a piecenof old inner tube as a lower headset sleeve.

Slice an old innertube down the middle and slip it inside your tire for more pinch protection, albeit at a weight hit. But for downhillers and freeriders this works a treat.. Not so ghetto when we use old maxxis dh toobs though.. More than 5 bucks in one tube there..
    Last edited by tjomball; 06-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjomball View Post
    Gaffers tape.. Lots of it..
    If only you'd given that advice 4 years ago...