Number of binder mounts?

I poked around a bit and couldn't find an answer or strong opinion on this (although I'm sure it's out there!), so here it goes...

I have a slight dilemma. I have a pair of boards that I picked up used a couple of years ago with two (I think) mounts already in them. I needed them re-mounted to fit my boot. I just picked up some AT boots that I'd like to have the option to use on them as well, but they don't quite fit. Ideally I'd like them re-mounted so that the binder range can fit both boots - alpine and AT. I'm not sure if that'll work. But also wanted to check how many mounts you can get away with. I 've heard three and I've also heard more. Don't know if three is a general shop rule? And if that rule is usually pretty un-breakable? I'd just stick with the old alpine boots, but they have a crack and are about to die, so I really want the AT boots to fit these skis... Thanks, S

Well you obviously didn't search that well, but here ya go:

It depends on the ski and if there is overlap. As long as there is no hole overlap, 3 is almost always fine and can often get away with four. At that point hole overlap is usually the problem- not ski integrity.

As far as the integrity of the ski, a stiffer ski with metal will be able to take more than a soft wood/foam ski.

Also do a search about using AT boots in alpine bindings if that's what you're planning on doing.

Try epicski.com. This has never been discussed here - you'll have better luck over there.

Thanks...

That makes sense. As for the AT boots, at least I'm talking the iso swappable sole kinds which I know isn't perfect, but I'm thinking is better than my non-releaseable tele's... Thanks again, S

I would have no problem remounting a ski 6 times. Like bfree said, it depends on the ski. I would redrill an Explosive until I ran out of places to drill. I mounted some Scratch BC's that were on their 4th or 5th mount.

Eventually the number of holes will create stress focal points that could lead to cracking in the core...but it would take a lot of holes and some really hard skiing...IMO

i would mostly be more worried about how close the holes are together....i have a rule of thumb at my store, if your new hole is gonna be closer than a centimeter the a previous hole, then its a no go....i would rather turn the people away and explain then have the ski blow out and them kill themselves, even more if its something like a cheap foam core salomon

Quote Originally Posted by P J Shaker View Post
    i would mostly be more worried about how close the holes are together....i have a rule of thumb at my store, if your new hole is gonna be closer than a centimeter the a previous hole, then its a no go....i would rather turn the people away and explain then have the ski blow out and them kill themselves, even more if its something like a cheap foam core salomon
    A rule of thumb? You mean an industry wide standard? That's like saying "at my shop we use this chart to set your DIN".