Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    While we're on the subject of asshole drivers--passing me on Donner Pass Rd along Donner Lake--double yellow the whole way when I'm doing the (dry pavement) speed limit on ice. I've been hit by someone who spun out doing that. It's a residential street and the 35mph speed limit is too high but I do it to keep from pissing people off, except when I slow down so I don't spray walkers and runners. For that matter, speeding on a residential street is not cool. I do the usual 5-10 over on business streets and the freeway--but respect people who live on a street and do the limit, or less.

Years ago, me and my wife and 2 small kids on 89, quarter mile backup up at Squaw road, asshole passes the line on the wrong side of the road (double yellow again) and pulls in behind us. We go on to AM, turn in, road is solid ice, the idiot passes us on a blind curve, and gets to the lot a good thrity seconds before us, gets out of his car and puts on a helmet. I went over and advised him to wear the helmet while drivving (and a few other things not fit for a family internet forum).

Then the guy who thought I was going too slow lieaving the AM lot, passed me on a blind curve on ice (sense a theme here?) and spun out, somehow skidding between two oncoming cars, missing both, and winding up deep in the ditch. Maybe there is a god.

And then there's this--when I was working in the ER guy comes in with two beoken femurs and two beoken tib-fibs. Drunk loses control on the freeway, rolls on the right hand shoulder, winds up back on his wheels, flies across 4 traffic lanes, the median, four more lanes and winds up on the opposite shoulder. No injuries--my patient was the homeless guy who was sleeping under the oleanders on the median.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Cars today are much too safe today. Bring back steel dashboards and pointy, metal tipped steering columns and watch courtesy return to the highway. And to the OP others, a turn signal means I'm moving into your lane. RIGHT NOW. I'm not asking permission because I found that the assholes around Seattle speed up when I signal.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451426276.056479.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	174135

No arm signal necessary

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Cars today are much too safe today. Bring back steel dashboards and pointy, metal tipped steering columns and watch courtesy return to the highway. And to the OP others, a turn signal means I'm moving into your lane. RIGHT NOW. I'm not asking permission because I found that the assholes around Seattle speed up when I signal.
    I'm guilty of pointing to the lane I'm changing into when I'm near seattle. I start with my turn signal, and if they speed up, my arm means that 8400 lbs of rompin' stompin' Cummins turbo diesel is headed their way.

They tend to get the point and get out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.