Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Official TGR Traveling Rod Sign Up

So let's get some names and dates set for those who want to get in on the TGR traveling rod program. I'll start out the 6wt TFO sometime in mid-March. I'll have it in a rod tube and include a journal to go along with it as well. We can use this thread to keep track of who wants it and when.

HFB, Michigan, March

My prefered dates are:

Rod1: HFB 6wt.
    Dates: June 5th -14th

Rod2: Ramblin Maggot Switch
    Dates: Early October

I'll support the idea of two different styles of rods traversing the country. i'd only ask for the 9' for the June dates and the Ramblin Maggot Rod for some time in the fall, maybe late Sept. early October.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

I could prolly start this thing off, since my season should get rolling again in a couple weeks. Maybe send it to Schwerty to use on his vacation down here, and he can get it to me afterwards, or pass it to me if he gets to fish off my boat.

Really cool idea. I hope I catch more than Sea Trout with it.

Warthog - still working on some trip logistics. I will get in touch soon!

As far as the rod goes for me I'll fish it anytime except January. Too fuckin' cold around here to motivate in Jan. Is HFB the point man on this? Who's keeping track of where the rod is going? How long are we gonna allow each person to keep it?

I'd say we should limit the "keep time" to a week or two, no more than that.

I live in Southeast Wyoming and would like to get it later in the summer if possible (around August). I will either try to take it over to the North Platte or hit the high alpine lakes in the mountains around here.

I can handle the tracking. I think two weeks is fair to keep it before moving on. Unless there's some sort of circumstance that keeps it from being fished.

I'd vote for a 2 week max also. The idea being that you fish it once or twice, toss it in the mail or hand it off.

Might be too much work but could we coordinate it by state or region? The handoff idea has been mentioned and seems to be the most logical. Regional shipping will take up less time and cash. As of now, requests are all over the board.

This won't happen but it'd be a hoot to try and never use the mail for this. Mandatory in person pass off via car, plane or bike. Some good stories would rise from that method. Sorry to make it more confusing...just daydreaming while at work.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I'd vote for a 2 week max also.

This won't happen but it'd be a hoot to try and never use the mail for this. Mandatory in person pass off via car, plane or bike. Some good stories would rise from that method. Sorry to make it more confusing...just daydreaming while at work.
    I dig that idea
    what about regional mini summit's? group overnighters? party on a particular river then it's off to the next, do it by river to river, lake by lake across the country from where ever happy fun ball lives. where is that HFB?
    Last edited by yonskion; 02-20-2009 at 11:05 AM.
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I'd like to get in on this, maybe Group me in sometime with Mush and Likwid since i think we are all in the general area.

This sounds fun as shit--and the mini summit/in person pass off seems like a great idea. I'm in the process of moving to Anchorage and would be happy to get in on this sometime in the fall.

This has probably been discussed somewhere . . . but what about the reel? Since we're going with a TFO blank, maybe we can get TFO to comp us a reel if this becomes featured as an article? If we can't get comped, we should at least be able to scrounge up a pro deal reel for this thing.

I would like the 6wt TFO in May and the maggot switch in Sept. I could hand off the switch to mush at the end of sept. in the catskills or out on the coast.

Format wise

L8APX
    schenectady, NY
    6wt - mayish
    switch - late sept

I'll connect the dots on a map once all have signed up.
    Harvest the ride.

I should probably lump in with the Jackson/Riverton and any Colorado guys, especially on the off chance that I can do a hand off rather than ship. I still prefer August if possible though.

I might be able to meet up with L8 mid way from Schenectedy to NYC on one of the many rivers in between for a mini mini at the end of May for the 6wt.

If there's anyone in between, maybe NW CT or south of Albany, it would make a better go between, but I'd travel a bit to fish and swap.

then the rod travels to RI for a week (June5-14) of the spring run and somehow handed off to the yahoos in MA.
    Last edited by mushmouth; 02-20-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

I feel so lonely. A mini mini would be with myself. What ever happened to Hook?

If anybody is interested in making a trip to the upper great lakes region that's where I'm at. I always have an open seat on the boat or in the truck on the way to the river for those who are interested or in the area. I don't mind shipping it to where ever it needs to go after me. I'm pretty isolated up this way. I need to start up a spreadsheet and track this stuff down.

As far as reels go I don't know if that would work or not. I would most likely fish it with my centerpin early in the spring or a chuck and duck rig if conditions are right. Anyway, more to work on. I'll make sure I document the assembly of the rod along the way as well. More to come.

I could be into this idea as well. Some time in August would be ideal. The handing off of the rod would be pretty easy in the Jackson area.
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

Either Rod or both July 15-29th
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Either Rod or both July 15-29th
    This thread is only for the 6wt "the official tgr traveling rod"
    There can only be one "official" tgr rod I was late......
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

If the rod is done and able to get down there, I'll be in for a mini-mini on your boat with it!

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this guys.

I'm in SW Montana and can pretty much take it just about any time of the year.

I'm in for a week or two with one or both rods, I fish year round so it doesn't matter a twit to me when I get to exercise them.
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

(Maine) ...anytime after May 1st;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    I might be able to meet up with L8 mid way from Schenectedy to NYC on one of the many rivers in between for a mini mini at the end of May for the 6wt.

If there's anyone in between, maybe NW CT or south of Albany, it would make a better go between, but I'd travel a bit to fish and swap.

then the rod travels to RI for a week (June5-14) of the spring run and somehow handed off to the yahoos in MA.
    Any non-taken time...May, June, or July/early August is fine up here.........can get down into Mass to pickup..or if anyone wants a little vacation time...up here, along coast... am versatile.
    Last edited by steved; 02-24-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Another Mainer here. I'll play. I'm still figuring out exactly what we're talking about based on this thread, but it sounds great.

Are we looking to add more rods to the rotation?

I am soo in! I can pretty much work around the schedule.

Dude, any time you want to schedule a mini I will come down and show you how to get skunked!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

1st/2nd week of June would be sweet for me. I have a nice annual trip planned around then. (Colorado).