Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will 4ft x 4ft Sheets of OSB Fit in the Back of a Chevy Trailblazer?

If the past has taught me anything (and it may well not have), it's that coming to tgr to answer random questions is often more efficient than trying to find them on my own on the vast internet. So...

I need to rent a vehicle to transport 15 sheets of 4ft x 4ft OSB (or plywood). Will the standard SUVs available at all car rental places be up to the task? I'd rather not go the pick-up route cause I'm too lazy to tarp em up and tie em down (traveling quite a ways on possibly wet highways).

Hit me with your insight.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and throwing that in there for old times sake),
    d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Rent a Suburban. 4x8 sheets fit in fine. Get 8 full sheets and you should be good to go.

i don't know if this is an option where you live, but home depot rents big flatbed pick-up trucks for a very reasonable rate.

edit: missed the "no truck thing"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

or get a minivan. 8ft sheets will fit just fine

If you are doing it all in one day and locally you could just rent a U-Haul for $20 plus 89 cents per mile.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

See? I knew this place would come through. It's a multi-day thing. Last minute trip up north for work and I need to bring these specific boards. It's about 500km north and I'll be there for most of next week so local options don't really apply.

Suburban was my first choice (despite the cost), but they're sold out at the place nearby. If I need to, I'll start looking elsewhere but still holding out for a positive response on the Trailblazer...
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Minivan. And if these sheet goods will be exposed to weather or water in any way, shape or form, get CDX plywood instead of OSB.

Well since your obviously building a meth lab, I wouldn’t worry too much about the boards getting wet. They are going to get wet when you build it in the middle of the woods that you’re driving to. Just say fuck it and get a Focus then tie that shit to the roof.

p.s. congrats on winning random Q of the day
    Last edited by Mr. Belvedere; 02-19-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added p.s.
    “I will give you a million Stanly nickels if I never have to talk to you again.”

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Minivan. And if these sheet goods will be exposed to weather or water in any way, shape or form, get CDX plywood instead of OSB.
    He works for a company that makes OSB, he'll probably want to bring that I'm guessing.

Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
    Just say fuck it and get a Focus then tie that shit to the roof.
    FAIL

Although to be fair the above guy also had 2x4s and 2x6's not to mention the bags of concrete in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
    p.s. congrats on winning random Q of the day
    Sweet. In all my years here, I think that's only the second time I've won anything "of the day." I'm going drinkin' tonight!

In other news: not sure my young, manliness can handle driving a minivan for 500km, but I may have to concede...
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal View Post
    FAIL

Although to be fair the above guy also had 2x4s and 2x6's not to mention the bags of concrete in the trunk.
    That is awesome. The guys at the mill will be so impressed when I roll in like that.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

I think the trailblazer is smaller than my explorer and I cannot get full sheets in my explorer. So, I'd say you need the pick-up and a $10 tarp from the hardware store.

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

You can't get them in lengthwise or widthwise (Firefox says I invented that word)? Because he is only talking half sheets.

OSB is kinda heavy isn't it? Will a Trailblazer be able to handle that much weight?

What aboot a shipping company?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I think it would work int he extended Trailblazer (Trailblazer EXT I think) but most likely not in a "regular" Trailblazer. Like MNflyfish, I too have an Explorer (current body style) and it would be a tough fit (Trailblazer is even smaller I think). If I lay my Big Daddies in the back (193cm) they hit the back of the front seat and just about touch the tailgate.

Rent a chevy express van? Id have to assume they would fit, they are the contractor/creeper vans. Much manlier than a minivan.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    I think it would work int he extended Trailblazer (Trailblazer EXT I think) but most likely not in a "regular" Trailblazer. Like MNflyfish, I too have an Explorer (current body style) and it would be a tough fit (Trailblazer is even smaller I think). If I lay my Big Daddies in the back (193cm) they hit the back of the front seat and just about touch the tailgate.
    Yeah, but what about the width? I'm only bringing half sheets so I'm not too worried about the length. I'm worried about the width of the back door and the spacing of the wheel wells.

No Trailblazer owners on here, huh? Guess that's why they are in the rental fleet...
    - Kurt Vonnegut

How many sheets are you buying? If its a handful then I image you could McGuyver the sheet in there on an angle, with the seats folded down. If it is 20+ sheets, you might have some issues, and may need a few trips (or X-treme McGuyvering). I an skeptical that there is 48" between the wheel wheels of a Trailblazer.

------------------
    More info:
    The web site says Cargo area length is 39" and width is 46". So fail in both dimentions. But with the seats folded and the sheets standing on an angle it should work.
    Last edited by This End Up; 02-20-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: More info

What if you shrink-wrapped them and put them in a pickup covered by a tarp? That should keep the moisture out.
    -Death

Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    ------------------
    More info:
    The web site says Cargo area length is 39" and width is 46". So fail in both dimentions. But with the seats folded and the sheets standing on an angle it should work.
    Sweet. Thanks. My interweb skillz weren't strong enough to find that info I guess. Worse case scenario, I can cut off a handful of inches.

Good to go.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

You're trying to do a pickup job with an SUV.

Just rent a truck, lay down a tarp/ropes, stack sheets, fold tarp up, place scrap piece on top, tie ropes securely.

Most people wouldn't even bother with a tarp. It's not going to get that wet from road spray in the bed of a pickup. Besides, it's OSB, not oak panelling. If it gets a bit dirty you brush it off. Odds are it will sit at the job site outdoors any way. As my construction buddies always say, "ya ain't building a piano."

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    As my construction buddies always say, "ya ain't building a piano."
    We use to say "Are ya building a piano or a banjo?". Made lots of sense until I worked with a guy that used to repair pianos. Apparently pianos aren't as complicated as we thought.
    -Death

Kaz is my co-pilot

Can't see it from my house.