Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jackson??

I'm heading out in March (10th - 18th)..........hopefully Feb turns things around but this has be come down right depressing!

[QUOTE=Tommy T.;2700644]Word from the long-timers is that this is the worst snow for first half of January for as long as anyone can remember, or maybe the worst since 1975.QUOTE]

As of Jan 16, the settled snowpack measurement at the Rendevous plot was only 48 inches. That is the 3rd lowest Jan 16 snowpack depth at that stake since 1975. (1977= 36 in. and 1981 = 42 in.) Same for the mid-mountain stake.

Well, they are listening, this is the cheapest lodging deal I have EVER heard of here:
    "Ride. Eat. Sleep for $99.
    Get a full day of skiing, a full meal and a full nights rest for just $99 per person, per day! This is the ultimate deal for the weekend traveler or those that just want to get out for a couple of days. With a daily lift ticket price of $91, this deal allows you to eat and sleep for just $8 per day. Package must be booked by February 10, 2010. Certain restrictions apply. Direct book only. Call Jackson Hole Resort Lodging at 800.443.8613 for more details."
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm seriously depressed about this year... I flipped a coin for Mammoth / Squaw or Jackson Hole and went for Jackson ! Not even going to admit how much it cost's from Europe with a family of 4 and lessons / creche for kids It can change though.. that's what I keep telling myself especially when going for 14 nights... ?

[antijinx]wednesday. that is all.[/antijinx].

have faith, it will happen.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

For a variety of reasons I am sort of stuck going to Jackson in two weeks. Kid, prego wife so can't postpone it any further and dog are going in the car and nowhere short of driving to the west coast has snow anyway and I can't drive that far - flying isn't an option this year for us anyway and we have friends coming to meet us up there.

I will have fun, it is Jackson, it's not like they have no snow. In the seventies my family was headed to JH in the old 412 VW for x-mas when we got word they had no snow, were not even open. We detoured for a week to Terry Peak in S. Dakota, grabbed a slopeside condo and it was one of the best vacations in my memory, ever. I suffered through my teen years with my dad hauling me to Colorado (after he got tired of hauling us to Jackson) over the x-mas holidays skiing 15 inch bases and we always had fun though I did swear off the front range for winter visits longer than a weekend.

I'm assuming at least some folks in Jackson are making the best of it and not walking around town sobbing openly about the snow drought. Not like there isn't a thousand other ways to have fun in that town.

I've heard that there has been a fundamental shift in atmospheric weather patterns that could mean more mountain snow as well.

Everybody just needs to keep their heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysEars View Post
    I'm seriously depressed about this year... I flipped a coin for Mammoth / Squaw or Jackson Hole and went for Jackson ! Not even going to admit how much it cost's from Europe with a family of 4 and lessons / creche for kids It can change though.. that's what I keep telling myself especially when going for 14 nights... ?
    You are coming here while the Alps are seeing one of the biggest winters in your lifetime?

I am going Mt. Biking in a couple of hours.
    Seriously.
    And not even on a winter bike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    You are coming here while the Alps are seeing one of the biggest winters in your lifetime?
    Yeah I know that may seem odd but I booked this trip in August and you dont know what's going to happen then.

This winter in Europe is OK... is not epic yet as it's too early to tell. 98/99 was the best one (but also sad as many people died) and i was working in Chamonix and also in La Plagne and it was incredible.

I'm often pleasantly suprised at the conditions in the US when I get there even when people complaining but this time I can see it's bad. Hell, I have more base in my garden in the UK now than Teton Village !! Aviemore has a better snowpack in Scotland !

Behond 10 days or so the forecast is really not reliable so hopefully we'll get an improvement. Just dont think it will be the same as my last 2 trips where I didn't hit a single thing and my skis looked like they had just been serviced still after 14 days !

Will have another trip to Europe for sure later in March too so not all bad.

I really hope Snow-Forecast is right as there is a few 10+ cm days coming later in the week. I know its not enough to change base that much but at least stuff can get covered I hope

Fortunes Changed?

19" in Jackson and Targhee today

Are you sure...... 19" or was that mm?

Headed there this weekend for the week with fingers crossed!

fucking spammer cunting shit up w/ the needless bumps