Tahoe Mags - Places to live??

All this chatter about winter housing is getting me anxious.

I'll be moving from Whistler down to Tahoe (north lake) in about 5 weeks. Are there any Tahoe mags that have places for rent or ideas of where to get in? I'm thinking Truckee/Tahoe City area as I'd like to be close to Squallywood. It'll be myself and my girlfriend.

N Shore its either Tahoe City or Truckee.....lots more on west shore too, but TC & Truckee your best bets.

I prefer Truckee over TC (I am biased as I have a palce there) as its an overall mellower vibe, "downtown" Truckee is small and funky, but cool, and not as many tourons on w/e's and holidays as TC, but also, not as many bars and such.....so it all depends on what ya like.

Both towns put ya about equa-distant from Squaw and Alpine (you have to take 89 regardless of which town you are coming from), Truckee closer to SugarBowl and Northstar (not that you would ever want to go there), TC closer to Rose and Homewood.

Housing is generally about the same in both towns, but you can often score a nice house w/others in Tahoe Donner, an area of Truckee up on the hill above town.

Good luck and let us know where ya land!

Cool, thanks for the 411.

Check out www.housingconnection.com for listings (gotta get a membership, but when I was looking they had a lot posted on there). It's tahoe-specific and much better than the newspaper. I'll second truckee. I don't think its feel is much better than Tahoe City, but living in Truckee cuts the drive-time to Reno in half, which is better for movies, dinner, airport, grocery shopping, and everything else. Traffic in the winter might be a little worse returning to Truckee (with everyone fleeing to I-80 and Bay Area), but I do know that I'm 12 minutes from the Squaw access road, and 15 from the turn to Alpine.

Hope that helps.

Freshies, where are you skiing this winter?

Originally posted by 3pin
    Check out www.housingconnection.com for listings (gotta get a membership, but when I was looking they had a lot posted on there). It's tahoe-specific and much better than the newspaper. I'll second truckee. I don't think its feel is much better than Tahoe City, but living in Truckee cuts the drive-time to Reno in half, which is better for movies, dinner, airport, grocery shopping, and everything else. Traffic in the winter might be a little worse returning to Truckee (with everyone fleeing to I-80 and Bay Area), but I do know that I'm 12 minutes from the Squaw access road, and 15 from the turn to Alpine.

Hope that helps.

Freshies, where are you skiing this winter?
    hey 3pin, I am an Alpine pass holder again this winter..how 'bout you?

just hooked the alpine pass.... looking to ski at least a few hours each morning and holding "office meetings" on summit six during pow days. sounds like we'll have to do some skiing.

SCHWEET! You work for AM to get the pass, or did you buy straight up? We will for sure make some turns this winter. I geneally try to be in Truckee for any storms that look to lay 10-12+, @ Summit 6 by 7:45 - 8:15 depending on conditions/lift opening beta, session some fresh until 11'ish, then back to work.