Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Bad wax or am I dumb?

So I had some nice fast fluro wax on some skis. The expensive fluro ran out and wore off my skis so I bought a cheap brick of Pink Swix U20 "All Conditions" wax.

I waxed like I always do and removed as much old wax before I put on the new.

I took the skis to A-basin on my way to denver and they were SOOOOO sticky. Like they barely wanted to slide kind of sticky. Could it have been the snow, or is that wax not really all condition wax?

How cold was it? "Universal" wax usually sucks under ~10-15°.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    It was cold, but I didn't think it was THAT cold. Fuck it, I am gonna sack up and buy the better wax.

I still haven’t bought any of this guys wax but I did download and read his WaxFax whitepaper:

http://www.hertelskiwax.com/Hertel_Ski_Wax_s/68.htm

He basically says that temp dependent colored waxes are money making BS. Take it with a grain of salt, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

^^^
    That's all I use. Buy one big brick a year. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    ^^^
    That's all I use. Buy one big brick a year. I like it.
    I need new wax, and its really cheap.. should i get it? anyone else use it

yea ^
    it works like regular wax

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    yea ^
    it works like regular wax
    Yea but should I get the #/4 pound brick of that stuff, or spend 22 bucks on some cold, some regular, and some warm wax form say toko or swix.

i could care less about variable temp waxes
    i dont race.
    im sure as shit not going to wax my skis because tomorrows snow temperature is going to be 17.34 instead of the 24.54 it was the day before.

if i feel my skis are slow, ill point em and turn less. done and done.

thats just me

I only use universal wax, proper base prep is more important than the actual wax.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    i could care less about variable temp waxes
    i dont race.
    im sure as shit not going to wax my skis because tomorrows snow temperature is going to be 17.34 instead of the 24.54 it was the day before.

if i feel my skis are slow, ill point em and turn less. done and done.

thats just me
    Exactly. Not to mention that the temp also changes throughout the day.

I emailed Hertel a while back about which wax to buy and he pointed out that the Hertel Flurocarbon FC739 Racing all temperature wax actually ends up being cheaper because it lasts up to seven times longer.

Wow; answer a question and have a question answered (is the stuff any good)… placing an order now.

universal here

during the spring I'll throw on a real warm temp wax but thats about it
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Isn't some cold weather wax harder, though? Something? Yeah, supposedly certain waxes are "waxy-er" in certain temps, but I guess you could take that with a grain of salt, too.
    PS: that guys marking is pretty persuasive. Polyethylene: isn't that Styrofoam?
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 02-16-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Like pech et al said. If bases are dry, wax. Scrape thoroughly. Green scrubby then. Don't sweat the rest...

Pink wax sounds close to red, which used to be only for the warmest days. I like the white universal...just me tho...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

For $12, I might as well try some. I like to wax a lot, though to help keep my bases hard (and fast), don't wait till they're dry. Don't for get to brush!
    Weather or not I'll notice the difference remains to be seen. How many applications is 5oz?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Another Hertel user here too. Starting using it because it was cheap (they used to blow out these "blem" bricks for $10-12; haven't seen that in awhile though), kept using it because it seems to work in all temps I get in Tahoe. I've only had the skis feel sticky with the Hertel hot sauce in really warm conditions, like 45 degrees when the snow is very slushy. Otherwise I'm happy with it.

Saw a woman in a store getting her skis waxed for the weekend, with her own wax. Shit was like glue on my fingers.

just get red toko its fast 90% of the time. the low fluro is great, and even the non-fluro (system-3) is not bad

universal waxes are awful, its rare that it is so cold that you need a cold wax. waxing warm in the spring helps.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

You need to check out Wend wax. Inexpensive, excellent universal, cool people. I'm guessing it's www.wend.com but I'm not sure. Or you can buy bulk bars of S.V.S.T. ultra wax from www.race-service.com, the red covers most temps and is a little more durable even know they offer a universal.

warm wax works well when it's warm, but sucks when it's cold.

cold wax works well when it's cold, and isn't that much worse when it's warm.
    plus, cold wax lasts for fucking ages and fills in ptex gouges. what more can you ask for?

also, any fluoro overlay or straight up fluoro wax will stop being 'fluoro' after about an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    I only use universal wax, proper base prep is more important than the actual wax.
    ^^^^1234
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    not when it's <-10C, pow conditions, and you're trying to skate across a glacier or high traverse.

buy swix ch07 in bulk...soft enough to absorb deep into the base, hard enough not to dry out after one run on a cold granular or spring day. reliable racing sells it for like $60 for 900g, which will last about 2 or 3 seasons depending on how much you wax. and hey if you want to get a super slick and sexy gs suit while you are at it you'll save shipping.

For Tahoe, I get racewax.com's warm hydrocarbon wax in bulk. It covers the temps we usually get in Tahoe pretty well.

I second Swix CH7 (purple) for all round winter conditions. When it gets warmer(+5c and up), I mix it with some of my abundance of warm weather OBJ tacky nice smell wax(I bought 1000g a couple of seasons ago for some reason).