Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alpine bindings w/ AT boots?

I have a pair of Rossignol axis bindings that I want to mount on some Solly Czars but the only boots I have are AT - Scarpa's with vibram soles. Can I ride this set up and is it safe? Wondering...

grasshopper, much is seen when your search follows the righteous path.....

Absolutely not, you can use alpine boots in most at bindings but you should never put an at boot in alpine bindings. The rockered sole sits higher than alpine sole and pushes up on the toe piece of alpine binding which is pre-set for the standardized hehgt of all alpine boot soles.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by summer_teeth View Post
    Absolutely not, you can use alpine boots in most at bindings but you should never put an at boot in alpine bindings. The rockered sole sits higher than alpine sole and pushes up on the toe piece of alpine binding which is pre-set for the standardized hehgt of all alpine boot soles.
    The obligatory "you'll die" answer

A friend of mine who has no real clue about ski equipment does it. He has some Garmonts in some Marker Free 12.0 bindings. He says it works just fine, but i cant give you any personal input.

as long as the boot soles are DIN certifiied, you should have no problem with alpine bindings.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    as long as the boot soles are DIN certifiied, you should have no problem with alpine bindings.
    which ISO/DIN?

will they fit? yes/maybe
    will they work? yes/maybe
    is it safe? not really but if its your only option and you promis not to sue, go for it...

in a new feat of coolness i saw a kid on Armada fat somethings last week with Salomon 916s and Scarpa tele boots, that setup must give maximum performance...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I think you're a little safer if the binder you're using has an adjustable toe height screw ala salomon.

Another thing ive noticed is some manufacturers, Garmont in particular, have a flat "smooth" spot even on the vibram (caveat this would be any boots they sell with swappable soles)that meets directly with the afd on most binders. Now it IS still rubber so I doubt the DIN rating would be the same due to compression of rubber, but i've run mine with sallie binders without issue.

Would I do it with the binders the OP mentions? NO WAY!

Good luck with your knees

Wasn't Splat using an AT boot/alipne binding setup when he blew out his knee last year? I might be wrong.

edit: he was on an alpine,not a AT binding.
    Last edited by harpo-the-skier; 02-15-2009 at 09:42 AM.

The official answer is no. But... all I have to say is that some alpine binding/AT boot combos work better together than others.
    Hint: Harder rubber soles and gliding AFD's!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

as others have said it is not safe...but depending on the alpine binding there are varying degrees of unsafe. Fixed, teflon afd plates (older looks, sally, etc.) are the worst. Gliding afd tracks (look/dyna px bindings, head/tyrolia) are much safer. This is b/c although the AT boot will still grip the afd, the afd will at least slide so the toe can release (the reason the marker dukes have a sliding afd plate).

regardless of sliding afd, if the toe height isn't adjustable there may be too much upward pressure on the binding toe piece preventing the boot to release properly. Unless the at boot has specific iso/din sole like the Scarpa Tornado or interchangeable soles like BD boots or Dynafit Zzeus then it shouldn't be used in alpine bindings.
    "The light at the end of the tunnel is a train." Justin Trosper

last year at the world cup I seen alot of course workers on AT boots in fact I would say the boot of choice seemed to be garmont AT's in some kind of alpine binding by a wide margin,but that was for cycling around the course carrying stuff just using the skis for transportation

for real skiing ...I wouldnt

If it you were seein the Garmont Endorphin (grey/red) it has interchangable sole so no problem with compatability
    "The light at the end of the tunnel is a train." Justin Trosper

Ya I also have the convertible soles so I know about that but I am pretty sure they were most all using an AT sole in an alpine binding .

Really there was not much skiing and you don't bother with poles cuz you are carrying stuff so no worries about release ...just getting from here to there

Hugh Conway Guest
    I love the "not safe" bullshit

HC- Any chance you could give us the evidence for it being safe? I can see why it might not be, but I'm interested in why you believe that it is.

You see lifities in Europe do it all the time, proper old school vibram soles in alpine binders, as suggested though more for transportation and then comfort when standing around all day...
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Somebody here actually did a test of AT boots in alpine binders. Measures torque, release tension, and all that nerdy shit. If I recall the answer was "Don't do it." The release was too inconsistent, and you risk injury. But hey, it's your knee, if you have good insurance go for it .

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Somebody here actually did a test of AT boots in alpine binders. Measures torque, release tension, and all that nerdy shit. If I recall the answer was "Don't do it." The release was too inconsistent, and you risk injury. But hey, it's your knee, if you have good insurance go for it .
    You are right. I have torque tested many different AT/AT and AT/Alpine combos. All I have to say is that AT boots crammed into alpine bindings will release, but always WAY off the chart! A setting of 5 will often release more like a 12! They are just not designed to work together.

If the boot fits it works ,I would use them if I was just cycling thru at a resort on shitty skis ,carrying shit & getting from here to there

I wouldnt use them on a super fat ski in 2 feet of heavy new snow trying to keep up with the ski to die club

FWIW, I have been using my Scarpa Typhoons with my Lhasa 186s and Rossi Axial 2 14s (DIN at 11ish) and I've been perfectly happy with them. I've been doing most of my resort lapping with this setup and it rips. I'm on the aggressive side so a light AT boot for me is just fine. They've released when they should've and didn't when they shouldn't...no complaints here.

that looks an AT boot with a pretty DIN like sole to me BH ,you can even enlarge the sole and it looks DIN

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SCR...oon|3035006144