Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Rogan is an entertainer. I spend far more time with you buffoons any given week than I do with Rogan. We all pick how we spend our time.
    Funny how?

He openly loves weed. All weed people are good, happy and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Funny how?
    Not sure what you're getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    the social cache & prestige of “liberal” media & other “liberal” cultural institutions
    The what now?

is he like a clown?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    is he like a clown?
    Kind of.

^ Does he amuse you??

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I see Rogan being labeled as far-right or alt-right. I'm no Rogan expert, but my impression is (other than COVID) he is more of a far left populist a la Sanders, Gabbard, and Yang. And this form of far left populism circles all the way around to Trump populism on the right (what Trump says, not what Trump does). And as the popularity of Trump and Sanders have shown, populism is strengthening, particularly with America's youth. This is why Rogan is popular and financially successful. Main-stream America is desperate to have an ear to this emerging market.
    Populism almost always leads to fascism.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    The what now?
    “Former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson”

root problem being “conservatives” want the social cache & prestige of “liberal” media & other “liberal” cultural institutions but largely aren’t willing to put in the work to create conservative versions?
    Not what I meant.
    And I'm guessing you know that.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

“Former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson”
    I don't know if its necessarily about the social cachet as much as "those liberal fags wont be able to refute this guy! he was one of them before he got smrt!"

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Which is why there are public health experts qualified to lead the conversation. Plenty of MDs with an MPH and MBA who seek leadership roles and are qualified to do so.

Associate Prof. of Neurosurgery at Emory who spends the prime of his career running his mouth on cable news isn't the platonic ideal of public health expert. His personal profile for GSM spends more time talking about his Emmy and books than actual work in the field of NS or PH. The JR interview is another way to boost his brand.

If money making is the marker of success, this guy is doing great.
    I don't want the people affecting my livelihood to be the wealthiest, I want them to be the best at what they do.
    Again my points (as I stated) were not focused just to Dr Gupta. I believe someone (and I think it was you) said the best doctors are too busy working to be out in the public eye like this - that’s what I was responding to.

And it sounds like you agree - but that they need a MPH (useful for sure but not disqualifying if not held) or a MBA (? - a public relations degree or an education degree would make more sense to me than a MBA in this instance)

You know.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    ^ Does he amuse you??
    make you laugh?

here to fuckin' amuse you?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I see Rogan being labeled as far-right or alt-right. I'm no Rogan expert, but my impression is (other than COVID) he is more of a far left populist a la Sanders, Gabbard, and Yang. And this form of far left populism circles all the way around to Trump populism on the right (what Trump says, not what Trump does). And as the popularity of Trump and Sanders have shown, populism is strengthening, particularly with America's youth. This is why Rogan is popular and financially successful. Main-stream America is desperate to have an ear to this emerging market.
    Well said. Agree 100%. History shows this form of populism doesn't usually end well for the populous.

Joe Rogan isn’t that influential, except when top NFL players with millions of dollars and access to the best doctors in the world are taking his advice on COVID treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    Well said. Agree 100%. History shows this form of populism doesn't usually end well for the populous.
    Um, no. The word originated in a much different time, or, should I say, recent history as something else. Read Thomas Frank's new book. https://us.macmillan.com/books/97812...10/thepeopleno Elites are now using the word as a slur, which suits them just fine, because they want to remain rich elites, in political power.

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Joe Rogan isn’t that influential, except when top NFL players with millions of dollars and access to the best doctors in the world are taking his advice on COVID treatment.

I would think that Joe is very influential, considering that millions tune in to his words, and he is a very wealthy man, because of that. What's ironic here is that Rodgers totally fucked his earning ability for probably the rest of his life with this moronic move, unless he runs with it and becomes a right wing personality and milks that thing for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Again, https://us.macmillan.com/books/97812...10/thepeopleno

So, you're implying that the people's will is toxic? Only elites deserve to rule?

edit: Oh, and you should do some research on that fascism word. That gets thrown around in the wrong way a lot, too. Start with Mussolini, the Big Daddy of fascism. The people had to acquiesce to it, not the other way around.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 11-06-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

The words of an out of touch, irresponsible, scumbag resonate loudly when discussing other out of touch, irresponsible scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Um, no. The word originated in a much different time, or, should I say, recent history as something else. Read Thomas Frank's new book. https://us.macmillan.com/books/97812...10/thepeopleno Elites are now using the word as a slur, which suits them just fine, because they want to remain rich elites, in political power.
    Lonesome Rhodes agrees with you.

I would think that Joe is very influential, considering that millions tune in to his words, and he is a very wealthy man, because of that. What's ironic here is that Rodgers totally fucked his earning ability for probably the rest of his life with this moronic move, unless he runs with it and becomes a right wing personality and milks that thing for profit.
    Rodgers is close to retirement and has earned over a quarter billion $ on salary alone over his career. Not sure how much more State Farm money was rolling in but I don’t think he gives a shit either way.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Rodgers is close to retirement and has earned over a quarter billion $ on salary alone over his career. Not sure how much more State Farm money was rolling in but I don’t think he gives a shit either way.
    The history of pro athlete management of money is a horror show. S.I. wrote a really good article about it some time ago, I'm too lazy to find it, but here's a nice paragraph summary:
    "Sports Illustrated once estimated that 78% of NFL players file for bankruptcy or are broke only two years after retiring, and after five years of retirement, 60% of NBA players suffer the same fate. Close to 16% of NFL players filed for bankruptcy within just 12 years of retirement, according to a 2015 study by the National Bureau of Economic Research."
    It's a very well done piece of research that you should try to find. I think it's about ten years old, but, I don't think things have changed.
    Now maybe Rodgers is ok. Not everybody falls into the 14,000 sq ft mansion with a garage full of exotic cars and an expensive crew hanging out at the pool while the second of three wives calls for child support syndrome, while the boredom around the coke mirror comes up with, "hey, let's open a restaraunt!", or, really, any other business a cousin convinced the athlete is a great idea, a business that the athlete has zero clue how to run and make profitable. But, hey, he's a winner, right? Right! Says the crew and hookers in unison. Tap another line there!

Ok, anyway, even if he hasn't lost most of his money to stupid shit and taxes (that's a bad one, too, for short term riches), he has spent years now cultivating his cutesy brand and done quite well with that, right? I mean, besides selling products for years to come, he could join the broadcasting club, like mediocre QB Tony Roma, and milk millions from that. Nope. Bye bye. I'll bet he's recieved some stern calls from present sponsors hinting at broken contracts. So, yeah, hope he isn't knee deep into a few restaraunts and child support and fishy crypto schemes, because future income looks bleak.

Jocks always bring the dumb.

Pretty much has always been my experience with a few exceptions. Looking at Payton M
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The history of pro athlete management of money is a horror show. S.I. wrote a really good article about it some time ago, I'm too lazy to find it, but here's a nice paragraph summary:
    "Sports Illustrated once estimated that 78% of NFL players file for bankruptcy or are broke only two years after retiring, and after five years of retirement, 60% of NBA players suffer the same fate. Close to 16% of NFL players filed for bankruptcy within just 12 years of retirement, according to a 2015 study by the National Bureau of Economic Research."
    It's a very well done piece of research that you should try to find. I think it's about ten years old, but, I don't think things have changed.
    Now maybe Rodgers is ok. Not everybody falls into the 14,000 sq ft mansion with a garage full of exotic cars and an expensive crew hanging out at the pool while the second of three wives calls for child support syndrome, while the boredom around the coke mirror comes up with, "hey, let's open a restaraunt!", or, really, any other business a cousin convinced the athlete is a great idea, a business that the athlete has zero clue how to run and make profitable. But, hey, he's a winner, right? Right! Says the crew and hookers in unison. Tap another line there!

Ok, anyway, even if he hasn't lost most of his money to stupid shit and taxes (that's a bad one, too, for short term riches), he has spent years now cultivating his cutesy brand and done quite well with that, right? I mean, besides selling products for years to come, he could join the broadcasting club, like mediocre QB Tony Roma, and milk millions from that. Nope. Bye bye. I'll bet he's recieved some stern calls from present sponsors hinting at broken contracts. So, yeah, hope he isn't knee deep into a few restaraunts and child support and fishy crypto schemes, because future income looks bleak.

Jesus fuck Benny, you do understand the difference between a bunch of guys with a 3-5 year career making league minimum and one of the longest tenured and highest paid players of all time? One that hates his entire family too, so probably not funding their restaurant ideas.