Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    But we need doctors (real ones) in the public eye somewhere. Maybe not CNN/Fox doctors.
    Which is why there are public health experts qualified to lead the conversation. Plenty of MDs with an MPH and MBA who seek leadership roles and are qualified to do so.

Associate Prof. of Neurosurgery at Emory who spends the prime of his career running his mouth on cable news isn't the platonic ideal of public health expert. His personal profile for GSM spends more time talking about his Emmy and books than actual work in the field of NS or PH. The JR interview is another way to boost his brand.

If money making is the marker of success, this guy is doing great.
    I don't want the people affecting my livelihood to be the wealthiest, I want them to be the best at what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Which is why there are public health experts qualified to lead the conversation. Plenty of MDs with an MPH and MBA who seek leadership roles and are qualified to do so.

Associate Prof. of Neurosurgery at Emory who spends the prime of his career running his mouth on cable news isn't the platonic ideal of public health expert. His personal profile for GSM spends more time talking about his Emmy and books than actual work in the field of NS or PH. The JR interview is another way to boost his brand.

I don't want the people affecting my livelihood to be the wealthiest, I want them to be the best at what they do.
    JR interviewed one actual expert on COVID/epidemiology as far as I can tell. Osterholm in early spring 2022.

I doubt he wants to actually interview an expert on epidemiology and COVID. He knows his audience.

In the meantime he has had plenty of skeptics who spout the latest disinformation line.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    JR interviewed one actual expert on COVID/epidemiology as far as I can tell. Osterholm in early spring 2022.

I doubt he wants to actually interview an expert on epidemiology and COVID. He knows his audience.

In the meantime he has had plenty of skeptics who spout the latest disinformation line.

"Follow the money", amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Because he is a meathead, duh. And meatheads generally suck.
    Basically this. A truth be told, he is likeable. Back when MMA was interesting, he was a good color man for the UFC. But his rambling dialog and his "oh wow" points are insufferable. If he didn't have such an influence, I think I'd enjoy the spectacle of him on occasion; just like I used to with the Conspiracy AM stuff - Art Bell, etc. Watch the loons do these wild mental gymnastics and avoid obvious holes to their logic - with a chuckle: "Can you imagine that ppl believe this nonsense?". But these days, fantastical conspiracy has been weaponized so lost the luxury of that entertainment.

Edit: I'm pretty judgy about entertainment / ppl regarding what they choose to sponsor and advertise on their program. Last night I looked up JR and sure enough plenty of gimmick crap and snake oil supplements. Personal endorsements of that garbage. He had a few bigger, legitimate advertisers but the crap he is willing to hawk to his audience speaks volumes.

cynical take. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems like a doc actively involved in the neurosurgery functions of a hospital, who has interests in journalism and education, both of the public and in the development of medical students and residents.

It’s one thing to dislike him and/or disagree with his positions on things or his approach to an unconventional career, but it’s also kind of absurd to assume he’s some kind of fake doctor with no credentials. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How would points ever be scored without personal attacks?
    Sh333sh.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Basically this. A truth be told, he is likeable. Back when MMA was interesting, he was a good color man for the UFC. But his rambling dialog and his "oh wow" points are insufferable. If he didn't have such an influence, I think I'd enjoy the spectacle of him on occasion; just like I used to with the Conspiracy AM stuff - Art Bell, etc. Watch the loons do these wild mental gymnastics and avoid obvious holes to their logic - with a chuckle: "Can you imagine that ppl believe this nonsense?". But these days, fantastical conspiracy has been weaponized so lost the luxury of that entertainment.
    Frankly, one of my least favorite developments in modern culture…the spillover of that formerly-fun compartmentalized ridiculousness into consequential contexts. The Weekly World News was always good for a chuckle back when you would never imagine anyone who took it seriously having any influence on the more important aspects of policy or influencing a lot of people about how to live their lives or whatever.

It was better before.

I bet plenty of people felt like this in 1980 when we elected a movie cowboy to be president. Like, this isn’t supposed to be relevant to real life. But real life is what you make of it, and it turns out way too many people don’t actually properly compartmentalize this stuff into art-and-entertainment. Like the people who thought pro wrestling characters were totally real. There’s too many of those people, and they each get a vote, and they each can carry and spread a virus, etc. It’s brutal.

Joe Rogan: spiritual leader

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I was no fan of Sanders, but I definitely preferred this more chill version of him over the wild whacky inflatable arm man the media portrayed him as. He's far more likable in this setting IMO.
    What does "preferred this more chill version of him" mean to you? Did you end up agreeing with his policies once they were explained in full?

Question is not meant to argue politics but to better understand how you consume information and form opinions.

Sanjay might not be your idea of a public health expert, but he or someone on his staff prob knows some.

Joe Rogan? Not so much.

The thing I keep bumping up against in this new Texas era of Rogan is he now seems wholly convinced of his own (limited, suspect) knowledge and intellect, which is a real sea change from how he used to operate. Instead of asking questions and trying to learn, he’s now making a lot of declarations and plenty of them strike me as founded in real problematic, insular, meathead views on life.

This. Inclusive of talkers. People who make a living talking don't have to be right, only believable and unusual--and the latter is harder if you want to be right. Money correlates best with being subtly wrong in an interesting way.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This. Inclusive of talkers. People who make a living talking don't have to be right, only believable and unusual--and the latter is harder if you want to be right. Money correlates best with being subtly wrong in an interesting way.
    Right? Huge entertainment difference between:

Rogan: "Whoa if true"
    Science: "The body of evidence suggests"

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post

Edit: I'm pretty judgy about entertainment / ppl regarding what they choose to sponsor and advertise on their program. Last night I looked up JR and sure enough plenty of gimmick crap and snake oil supplements. Personal endorsements of that garbage. He had a few bigger, legitimate advertisers but the crap he is willing to hawk to his audience speaks volumes.
    We'll have to disagree on the likeability part. I can stand anything about how he presents himself.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The thing I keep bumping up against in this new Texas era of Rogan is he now seems wholly convinced of his own (limited, suspect) knowledge and intellect, which is a real sea change from how he used to operate. Instead of asking questions and trying to learn, he’s now making a lot of declarations and plenty of them strike me as founded in real problematic, insular, meathead views on life.
    I dont listen all that frequently, but he used to seem genuinely curious, like the big dumb ape thing was kinda true.

I think it all changed once he started coming under scrutiny for things like the Alex Jones interview. Maybe this was due to some defensive posturing against all the push back or maybe he just found being polarizing to be much more lucrative. Either way, it's led him to fall more in line with people like the Weinsteins, who may be smart enough but play way too into the whole "I'm being oppressed by the system so you know I'm right!" angle, which is probably emboldening for someone like Rogan. He used to challenge (or pretend to challenge?) his own thinking, but now it seems to be 100% confirmation bias/ deferral to the "experts" he has on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    I dont listen all that frequently, but he used to seem genuinely curious, like the big dumb ape thing was kinda true.

I think it all changed once he started coming under scrutiny for things like the Alex Jones interview. Maybe this was due to some defensive posturing against all the push back or maybe he just found being polarizing to be much more lucrative. Either way, it's led him to fall more in line with people like the Weinsteins, who may be smart enough but play way too into the whole "I'm being oppressed by the system so you know I'm right!" angle, which is probably emboldening for someone like Rogan. He used to challenge (or pretend to challenge?) his own thinking, but now it seems to be 100% confirmation bias/ deferral to the "experts" he has on his side.
    If you think about it, this transformation is symptomatic of the entire far right mutation. Being beaten up and abused by snotty liberal media, they retreat further into obstinate opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    If you think about it, this transformation is symptomatic of the entire far right mutation. Being beaten up and abused by snotty liberal media, they retreat further into obstinate opposition.
    don't let them off the hook

the faults of provoking further entrenchment aren't the faults of the original actions

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post

Agreed. Rhonda Patrick took him to task on covid vaccines a while back and it's like it never happened.

I see Rogan being labeled as far-right or alt-right. I'm no Rogan expert, but my impression is (other than COVID) he is more of a far left populist a la Sanders, Gabbard, and Yang. And this form of far left populism circles all the way around to Trump populism on the right (what Trump says, not what Trump does). And as the popularity of Trump and Sanders have shown, populism is strengthening, particularly with America's youth. This is why Rogan is popular and financially successful. Main-stream America is desperate to have an ear to this emerging market.

I think Dr. Drew has been inappropriately ignored in this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I think Dr. Drew has been inappropriately ignored in this conversation.
    I'm willing to bet Dr Drew agrees with this assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    don't let them off the hook

the faults of provoking further entrenchment aren't the faults of the original actions
    I'm not, but if we ignore our root problem, there won't be root solutions.

Rogan is an entertainer. I spend far more time with you buffoons any given week than I do with Rogan. We all pick how we spend our time.

agreed

root problem being “conservatives” want the social cache & prestige of “liberal” media & other “liberal” cultural institutions but largely aren’t willing to put in the work to create conservative versions?