Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Ya really tough to figure out who , between gupta and rogain, is doing the most damage to people

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Did someone say Ben Carson?

Guess who's classmates from the P.T. Barnum School of Ethics?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Did you eat lead paint chips as a kid?

Sent from my SM-N986U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Hey that's my line you just poached. Please send the royalty check to Splat's GoFundMe. You can round up to nearest hundo from $0.37.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Surgeons famous for their humility and absence of extracurricular activities
    wait are you talking about old goat here ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    The really great ones aren't taking interviews on CNN because they're too busy working. Just because someone is at a big name institution doesn't make them god's gift to medicine, no matter how they carry themselves.
    I agree. Personality & Publicity first Doctors are always suspect in my book. That said, it doesn't take a perfect messenger to show Rogan is completely out of his depth and a moran.

I hate the narrative that if you are critical of someone it's because you are jealous of their success. Their success isn't the discussion; its whether their product is harmful to society...like to the point of shameful negligence in the pursuit of $.

If you are unburdened with ethics or guilt and experienced with clever grifts - making money isn't the 'monument to the person' some are making it out to be. The world is littered with wealthy but otherwise worthless people.

I think Rogan is more careless / cocky / broken than a pure grifter. But as someone else put it, he's wrapped up in the whole scene of smelling his own farts and others smelling his farts for one big moran fart smelling fest.

life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

Respectfully disagree with some of these points

Doctors come in all different shapes, sizes, types

Some need to be head down saving lives in the operating room or emergency room

Some need to be sitting in a clinic mainly talking

Some need to be public figures helping guide society as the experts that they are - otherwise it's idiots like Rogan, celebrities like Jenny McCarthy, politicians like DeSantis, NBA players etc who are the public health figures of authority

I'm not saying that Gupta does a god job of this or not - he is just a specific example - I don't really follow him or listen to what he says.

But we need doctors (real ones) in the public eye somewhere. Maybe not CNN/Fox doctors.

---

But to equate him with Dr Phil because they are 1) both on TV (that isn't necessarily bad) and 2) they both have doctor in front of their name is disingenuous. You don't have to love them both or think they are doing a good job - and you shouldn't discount them just based on suspected wealth - but there is a clear difference between Dr Phil's snake oil circus act and Dr Gupta's shtick

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Did you eat lead paint chips as a kid?
    ]
    I am REALLY surprised anti-vax clowns don’t defend eating lead paint chips as a PerSoNAl lIbERtY! MUh FReEdOmS!
    Forum Cross Pollinator

What he said. I love me some
    B-Mac tutorials!

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Doctors come in all different shapes, sizes, types
    But we need doctors (real ones) in the public eye somewhere. Maybe not CNN/Fox doctors.
    I agree. And ultimately that's the handicap we face in disseminating proper information. Goons are unbound by any standard or mission and strive solely for (and have built) huge audiences and, with that, influence. Whilst it's extremely difficult to build an audience from dry information. So the experts we are exposed to in entertainment are hawking products and their brand - which undermines credibility & motives. So what communication vehicle is suitable for evangelizing science literacy and useful education outreach with enough sizzle to capture an audience while not becoming all about the personality? That was a mouthful. It ain't easy.

I'm sure there's something like this, but I could envision a public funded consortium of science educators with good communication skills and some with name recognition. Maybe give some PSA credits to networks/outlets that put them on as guests. Tie it with all the usual media outreach channels - podcasts, yt, npr shows, speaking engagements, mashups. Build the 'brain squad' as a thing without a single throat to choke. No shilling or marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    I agree. And ultimately that's the handicap we face in disseminating proper information. Goons are unbound by any standard or mission and strive solely for (and have built) huge audiences and, with that, influence. Whilst it's extremely difficult to build an audience from dry information. So the experts we are exposed to in entertainment are hawking products and their brand - which undermines credibility & motives. So what communication vehicle is suitable for evangelizing science literacy and useful education outreach with enough sizzle to capture an audience while not becoming all about the personality? That was a mouthful. It ain't easy.

I'm sure there's something like this, but I could envision a public funded consortium of science educators with good communication skills and some with name recognition. Maybe give some PSA credits to networks/outlets that put them on as guests. Tie it with all the usual media outreach channels - podcasts, yt, npr shows, speaking engagements, mashups. Build the 'brain squad' as a thing without a single throat to choke. No shilling or marketing.
    I don't disagree that this would be a worthwhile effort, but I am skeptical of the utility it would have. I think it is just too easy for these loons to find an echo chamber on Facebook, fox news or numerous other outlets to validate their outlandish views. It is just too easy to find another quack to reaffirm your ridiculous viewpoints these days.

The only thing I envy about JR is the 1969 Camaro he just had the Roadster Shop build for him.

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    I don't disagree that this would be a worthwhile effort, but I am skeptical of the utility it would have. I think it is just too easy for these loons to find an echo chamber on Facebook, fox news or numerous other outlets to validate their outlandish views. It is just too easy to find another quack to reaffirm your ridiculous viewpoints these days.
    There will always be a certain percentage of adults that are unreachable. Some of them make that decision to be unreachable inside some middle ground between conscious thought and subconscious instinct or ego. Good luck cracking that with facts and common sense.

Social media gives them a larger community to feel supported in (and to be fed lies to by bad actors/profiteers) - and some of us (myself included) have some faulty unhealthy wiring that gets something out of pushing back against this ever strengthening unmovable wall.

The reason it often feels futile is that, in that moment, it is. Maybe a few of them will eventually abandon their bullshit out of boredom (and move on to the next hot button topic they misread entirely)

As frustrating as it is to have these people dragging the public discourse off the rails their presence shouldn’t dissuade us from progress. The most important part of that is in the hands of the true front line heroes of society = public school teachers. But they’re not well supported (and I’m guessing the curriculums are slow to respond) so then it falls on politicians to fix that…but they’re too busy insider trading and ensuring they win the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    As frustrating as it is to have these people dragging the public discourse off the rails their presence shouldn’t dissuade us from progress.
    Any other option is to give up on Democracy. That's what Putin, The Murdochs, The Adelsons, The Kochs and the Mercers hope for.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Rogan haters, other than his position on COVID related issues, why do you hate Joe Rogan? He describes himself as Democrat on everything except gun control. Here's one journalists' description of Rogan's politics:

Rogan is a fairly basic political liberal on almost every issue: He believes in the need for greater social spending for the nation’s poor and working class, opposes war and militarism, favors drug legalization, is adamantly pro-choice and pro-LGBT rights, and generally adheres to liberal orthodoxies on standard political debates. That is why he was so fond of Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard, and why Andrew Yang — whose signature issue was the universal basic income — was one of the few candidates he deemed worth talking to.

Joe Rogan: spiritual leader

For me, it’s the transparent veneer of thoughtfulness
    Backed, when challenged, by “don’t listen to me; I’m just a moron [wink wink millions of listeners who i understand hang on my every opinion]”

[“hate” is way too strong of a word here in my own case, tho]

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i dont hate joe
    i pity the fact that he probably just doing the joe
    that sells the most joe and garthers the most fart sniffering followers
    if thats who he wants to be thats fine
    i doubt he cares that i ski and fly fling better than he ever will
    i care cause its what i do and spend my time doing
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Tulsi Gabbard is a freaking lunatic. Invoking her is not going to win any friends among progressives and definitely not with me. She is a Trump and Putin apologist on top of that. Andrew Yang has some good ideas. However, he's a businessman so I don't completely trust him. Bernie is aight. However he is what we needed 30-40 years ago. Even 20 years ago. I hope he doesn't run for president again.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Rogan haters, other than his position on COVID related issues, why do you hate Joe Rogan? He describes himself as Democrat on everything except gun control. Here's one journalists' description of Rogan's politics:
    rogan launders all kinds shitty ideologies and people, whatever he describes himself as.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    rogan launders all kinds shitty ideologies and people, whatever he describes himself as.
    and this

Your "journalist" makes no distinction between Assadist mouthpiece Tulsi who was beaten so bad in the primaries of her abortive reelection bid that she went into exile on one of her oligarch sponsors' yachts... and those other two guys who, in rare moments, sometimes sorta almost believe what they say?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Tulsi Gabbard is a freaking lunatic. Invoking her is not going to win any friends among progressives and definitely not with me. She is a Trump and Putin apologist on top of that. Andrew Yang has some good ideas. However, he's a businessman so I don't completely trust him. Bernie is aight. However he is what we needed 30-40 years ago. Even 20 years ago. I hope he doesn't run for president again.
    In case you missed it then, this one was worth listening to. No matter what your opinions on JR may be, it was cool that someone gave Bernie a long-form format to get some of his points across better than any short sound bites could do. I was no fan of Sanders, but I definitely preferred this more chill version of him over the wild whacky inflatable arm man the media portrayed him as. He's far more likable in this setting IMO.

Because he is a meathead, duh. And meatheads generally suck.
    Forum Cross Pollinator