Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 90's hardcore

advres Guest

90's hardcore

A friend sent me a link to an Overcast show we went to from youtube. It brought the memories flowing back and I have been doing some searching and found a ton of shows I went to back then. Man, those were the days.

That's some good shows. I grew up on the 90's hardcore scene. There's actually a new book coming out on the 90's hardcore scene called burning fight. They're putting on a couple shows in may for the book release. Unbroken is reuniting. I was able to get tickets to the Chicago show (they sold out a few months ago within a day or two of going on sale). Should be sweet. Here's the lineup and the link to the book:

http://www.burningfightbook.com/

Chicago show (at the Metro):
    Saturday
    Thought Crusade
    Convicted
    Soul Control
    Damnation A.D.
    Betrayed
    Ringworm
    Guilt
    Underdog
    Killing Time
    Trial
    Disembodied

Sunday
    Harm's Way
    The Killer
    Blacklisted
    Have Heart
    Threadbare
    Split Lip
    Reach the Sky
    Bane
    Converge
    Unbroken

San Diego show (at The Glasshouse):
    Unbroken
    Swing Kids
    Undertow
    Jenny Piccolo
    Threadbare
    Fast Forward
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

I do miss the Sunday Matinees at CB's. Sick Of It All, Rest In Pieces, Murphy's Law......

I've been playing the hell out of the Cro-mags today.

Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    Underdog
    Worth the price of admission right there.
    Last edited by Tunco; 02-13-2009 at 07:27 PM.

I just saw how Converge was playing at this festival and got quite pissed since I would be missing out. Then I decided to check their myspace and noticed they're coming to Boston in about a month. Oh my dear god am I pumped!

90's hardcore that would have loved to have seen: Spazz, Charles Bronson, Infest.

there are others, but those are at the top of the list
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    That's some good shows. I grew up on the 90's hardcore scene.
    http://www.burningfightbook.com/

Chicago show (at the Metro):
    Saturday
    Damnation A.D.
    Betrayed
    Killing Time

Sunday
    Threadbare
    Split Lip
    Reach the Sky
    Bane
    Converge
    FKNA! Wish I could go to that show.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    I just saw how Converge was playing at this festival and got quite pissed since I would be missing out. Then I decided to check their myspace and noticed they're coming to Boston in about a month. Oh my dear god am I pumped!
    Fuck Converge. I was a loyal follower for a long time. Would go see them when there was 40-50 fucking people there. Then they nicely "asked" Aaron to leave the band just because he was working with Bane.

Quote Originally Posted by angelina12 View Post
    I like most of them.
    This is just ones I could find. Damn, HC was such a big art of my life back then. Everyweekend was a show at least. I wish I could get some of the footage.

In my storage unit, I have an old Hi8 camera I used to film shows with. I have tapes of many shows from The Espresso Bar, Lupos, Middle East, The Space, etc. The camera doesn't work anymore but obvoiusly the tapes are still good. Makes me want to rumage through the unit, and find someone with an old camera and upload those shits to youtube. aghh.... someday.

Might be showing my ignorance of the genre here and maybe my tastes are a bit mainstream:

Ministry - particularly their tune 'So What?'

Helmet - album 'Betty'

That shit rocked and still does

The UK Crustcore punk scene with bands like Concrete Sox, Doom etc shouldn't be overlooked. They fused anarcho punk with speed metal. I'm not a fan of the death growl delivery and reckon it made them less accessible and made the social/political message of the music harder to understand.

advres Guest
    of yeah... and for those who don't know. Overcast got back together and did some reunion shows. Looks like they will be doing sporadic shows when Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage doesn't get in the way! Brian is the fucking man!

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Helmet - album 'Betty'
    Fucking FANTASTIC album!!! Saw them open for Faith No More during Faiths Angel Dust Tour right about the time Meantime came out.

best band to come out of SLC:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceburn

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    best band to come out of SLC:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceburn
    I def have to check them out. Any band with listed with these genres must rule:

Avant-garde metal
    Math Rock
    Jazzcore

Edit: Do you know where I could download this album or at least listen to a few tracks. I can't find anything except a few live clips on youtube.
    Last edited by awf170; 02-14-2009 at 04:50 PM.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post

Edit: Do you know where I could download this album or at least listen to a few tracks. I can't find anything except a few live clips on youtube.
    Two albums of theirs...
    Firon (1992): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P211QWVC
    Poetry of Fire (1994): http://www.mediafire.com/?y12jynqj240

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Two albums of theirs...
    Firon (1992): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P211QWVC
    Poetry of Fire (1994): http://www.mediafire.com/?y12jynqj240
    thanks man,saves me having to transfer them from cassette

Good times. I miss the shows every weekend with 6 or 7 bands for a $2 cover. The northern Indiana scene kicked ass back then. Once the ceiling of the Emerson in Indy caved in during Cave In's set with Earth Crisis. My best friend and I promoted a ton of shows for local bands and a few of the more popular groups. In 99, we had entirely too many people in a rented community room for Zao / Blue Skies Burning plus a bunch of local bands. It was one of the best hardcore shows I can remember.

One of our local bands called At Peace While Burning. I think this was taken during their last show around 2001 or 2002. The fireman's building held about 100 kids and only cost $50 to rent for the night. Too bad the Warsaw Parks Dept fucked us over in the end.

edit:

Last edited by emtnate; 02-14-2009 at 11:29 PM.

FKNA after the five (or more) page thread where everyone was wetting themselves over a pedophile, a smack addict and a couple other guys that need a haircut getting back together, I never thought I'd see this thread on here.

Snapcase was the shit, I've seen them live at least 15 times, always a good show, talked to Daryl a few times, seems like a pretty cool guy too. I was having a weird sad/pissed off night a few weeks ago, I put "Drain Me" (first song on Lookinglass) on repeat and it did what I needed it to do.

Helmet's "Betty" album was my gateway drug. I heard some Helmet on (IIRC) a snowboard video my friend had (I think it was Unsung from a previous album), bought Betty and really got into it. I was maybe 15 and living in a hick ass town where no one had really heard any of this music, but what was only a 1/2 hour from Syracuse NY, which at the time was hardcore Mecca. I went to see Helmet when they came to town, Quicksand and Orange Nine opened, that was my first real show and a hell of a one at that.
    This quickly led to me being a Quicksand fan, which led to my first SOIA show, by the end of it I was fucking singing along with a band I had never heard before that. Shit had an affect on me.

That was just such a great scene and time. At times it may have been overly political and cliqueish, but the bands always knew why they were there and who was supporting them. No rock star egos, no real pretentiousness (other than on political/personal beliefs), just people doing what they loved and what they believed in.
    The 90's Hardcore scene and segments of the 90s skate punk scene have to be two of the most genuine times/genres of music. A lot of the bands may have sounded the same and may not have been that inventive, but the DIY ethics and the community were incredible. Living out of vans and selling t-shirts to be able to eat and pay for gas to the next show, everything just felt real. I don't get that same feeling from a lot of the tight jeans/myspace/teased hair bands of today.

I remember seeing H20 at a show that maybe 30 people went to (they were already pretty big at this time, not sure why such a low turnout) and they just fucking killed it. They gave the 30 of us there as good of a show as I've seen them give a thousand people. They weren't pissed off or upset, they were just happy to be up on that stage. I'd like to see how Underoath or any of these other newer bands would respond if only 30 people went to see them. Everything was just so positive then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

June of 44

the Jesus Lizard

Kepone

KARP

Underoath are pretty decent guys, at least they were when their first CD was released. Some of them went to school with my cousin, he said they were very supportive of the scene, even when noone came.

One band that pissed me off was NIV, about 200 people showed up, and they still had the "rockstar" attitude. They were pissed at the crowd and broke some of our shit. The opposite of that is Hatebreed. The first time I saw them, they had just played the 2nd stage at Oz Fest, then drove to a nearby city for another show that night for about 60. Even though they've gotten big, they seem to have stayed loyal to the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    Underoath are pretty decent guys, at least they were when their first CD was released. Some of them went to school with my cousin, he said they were very supportive of the scene, even when noone came.

One band that pissed me off was NIV, about 200 people showed up, and they still had the "rockstar" attitude. They were pissed at the crowd and broke some of our shit. The opposite of that is Hatebreed. The first time I saw them, they had just played the 2nd stage at Oz Fest, then drove to a nearby city for another show that night for about 60. Even though they've gotten big, they seem to have stayed loyal to the scene.
    My bad I think I chose a bad example, don't want to bad mouth a band I know very little about, just pulled the name of a newer band out of my ass. From the few shows I've been to in the last few year, I have seen just a shittier attitude from both fans and bands than I used to back in the day, but I shouldn't generalize that all newer bands are like that. Maybe I'm just becoming the old guy that wonders what's up with the kids these days.

Thats pretty fucked up about NIV, HC is supposed to be about supporting each other and the scene, not being a complete cock munch with an achy vag. I think Ian McKaye needs to sit some of these fuckers down and explain what being in a band is all about, I mean fuck how many bands have ever set a price cap on what their albums can sell for? Say what will you will about his other politics and beliefs, the guy knows how to be in a band and not be a rockstar dickbag.

I'm not hating on NIV for their political / personal views. A lot of christian hardcore is really good, and the Zao guys were always good friends. Punk was and is about saying what you want, and fuck those who bitch about it. I had seen them plenty of times before booking them, and who knows if they had a bunch of shit happen, but they weren't welcome back to our scene after that.

We stopped booking shows because the new group of hardcore kids. They wanted bigger and bigger shows and wanted cheap covers. They didn't appreciate the work and sacrifice it took to put a show together. We didn't always break even, and at the very least the bands deserve food, a couch to crash on, and enough gas money to get to the next town. We also had problems with the city. The cops were usually on our side and looked the other way so long as people weren't causing trouble for anyone else. The parks dept where we rented the rooms, thought that the way we looked were scaring away other park users. (who else is in the park at 10pm?) Also were lots of complaints from a campground that charged by the season, I think we were distracting their meth cooking. One show they came in around 10pm, with the room rented until 1am, turned the lights on, and threw a sign at the band. A room full of punk / hardcore kids vs. angry redneck janitor - figure out what happened. We were lucky, an off duty cop was at the show with some friends and made a report that said redneck started it all, we escaped any fines, but lost the venue. None of the new kids would back us up. Guess they were scared everyone could have been arrested.

[/blog]

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    Punk was and is about saying what you want, and fuck those who bitch about it.

Gorilla biscuits, Chain of strength, Judge, Youth of today, Bold. Fuck those were the days. Guess it was more late eighties and early nineties though. Never saw any of these live. But they were the soundtrack of my life for awhile.
    Id go see local hardcore bands in Worcester. Dont remember any names.
    Fugazi and shelter were pretty badass too.
    It been too long. I need to dig some of this up.
    Thanks for this thread advres.

GB
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We don't make those skis specifically for Andy, but we make them specifically for kick-ass skiers like Andy who use them in freeride comps and the everyday comp where they compete against themselves.

Agreed, this thread got me to dig out some old cds, 90s indie rock and hardcore, and makes me wish I hard a working turntable to listen to the 7"s my wife and I collected long before we met.

Is anyone else still going to shows? I don't go to nearly as many anymore, but terror is playing in my city next month, should be fun.

I go to a fair number of shows still. There is a decent punk/indie/hardcore scene in Denver. Tim Barry (from Avail, but playing folk music solo) will be here later this month as well as These Arms are Snakes. Some local Denver bands like Eyes & Ears, Git Some, Ghost Buffalo, and others aren't necessarily hardcore but share a lot of the same ethics as the 90's hardcore scene. I've seen Hot Water Music last time they came through. I still have a hard time paying more than 5 to 10 dollars for a show and more than 10 to 15 for a t-shirt. I remember the first punk show I went to the bands sold their CD's for 5 and t-shirts for 6. It wasn't about making money. Somehow making money off of music seemed to devalue the music in a way for a lot of the bands. If you had food to eat and gas to get to the next show, it was all good. I made some awesome life-long friends through the hardcore scene, and some of my best memories were going to shows, making flyers, learning every word to every song so I could scream along at shows.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

the first hardcore show i ever went to was the strife reunion tour in 01. been sold ever since.

I got tickets to the unbroken show. seeing unbroken, trial, and RTS should be awesome. i'm not even sure if i am going to get to go anymore.

i still like american nightmare, suicide file, hope conspiracy style hardcore better.