Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 90's hardcore

no love for converge?

edit to add this awesome late 90's band:
    Last edited by cdlv; 02-16-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by damn texan View Post
    the first hardcore show i ever went to was the strife reunion tour in 01. been sold ever since.

I got tickets to the unbroken show. seeing unbroken, trial, and RTS should be awesome. i'm not even sure if i am going to get to go anymore.

i still like american nightmare, suicide file, hope conspiracy style hardcore better.
    If you make it to the Chicago show, let me know.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    no love for converge?
    The first 3 converge albums were amazing. I saw Converge at Krazyfest 4 in Louisville back in 2001 or 2002. The Saturday lineup was ridiculous. Botch, Converge, Boy Sets Fire, Bane, Poison the Well, Dillinger Escape Plan (right after their first singer quit, the singer from Coalesce subbed for him - FKNA), probably one or two others I'm drawing a blank on right now.

I wasn't as big a fan of the Blood Brothers. I saw them open for Botch at Botch's last show at the Showbox in Seattle. They were okay. All I cared to see that day was Botch though, who killed it. Maybe I should check them out again. If you want to see some good Botch though, check out the DVD Hydrahead released of that last show. It's one of the best quality hardcore/punk videos I've seen, and Botch's set was awesome. They even pulled out Rock Lobster for that one.

I think I was at this show. The Fireside is still my favorite place to see a show of all time.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cptpowder View Post
    Id go see local hardcore bands in Worcester. Dont remember any names.
    Where? I assume The Space, White Eagle, Palladium (when it was EM Loews) or The Esspreso Bar, right? God, just typing those names almost brings tears to the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    Is anyone else still going to shows? I don't go to nearly as many anymore, but terror is playing in my city next month, should be fun.
    I haven't been t a real hardcore show in probably 5 or so years. Since I started the thread, I have been looking at local Boston venues online and trying to find one to go to. Since I have been out of the scene for so long (I'm getting old) I may be passing up so great bands just because I have never heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    no love for converge?
    Being from Massachusetts and into hardcore in the 90's I have to say Converge was a HUGE part of my life. Caring and Killing was an anthem for my day-to-day activities. I must admit though, they went downhill after Petitioning the Empty Sky. Wow, Aaron leaving for Bane fulltime and the band starting to suck? No coincidence there!

This was the real converge... The breakdown at ~1:06 is awesome!

i'm not a huge hardcore fan but i always thought quicksand's "slip" album was incredibly good. it was a regular in my 10-disk changer for probably 3 years straight back in the 90s. i need to revisit that one.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    i'm not a huge hardcore fan but i always thought quicksand's "slip" album was incredibly good. it was a regular in my 10-disk changer for probably 3 years straight back in the 90s. i need to revisit that one.
    They only had two albums. Listen to Manic Compression too, it is very good! Strange how they got so well known with only 2 albums and being together only 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Strange how they got so well known with only 2 albums and being together only 5 years or so.
    I think that was because their guitar player was in Gorilla Biscuits and Youth of Today. Other members had been in Bold and Burn.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

oh man nice thread. I grew up in the '90's hardcore scene as well when I lived in Northeastern PA. Being so close to NY took me and friends routinely into NYC, NJ (RIP Melody Bar) to see all kinds of hardcore shows.

Don't know how many times I've seen Earthcrisis, Snapcases, and Strife play. Good times. My all time favorite show was seeing Lifetime's final show at the Melody Bay in New Brunswick.

I think going forward most of my helmet cam vids are going to be set to '90's hardcore/post-hardcore type stuff. Love it.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Jon Turner - the shows at the fireside take me back. The Chicago scene was always fun. For indie-rock shows, it doesn't get better than the Metro or Schubas. the best hardcore shows were at Fireside Bowl. Krazyfest with botch and Poision the Well - kick ass show. Did you ever go to shows in Goshen / Warsaw / or Indy? Converge kicked ass back then, and I still hate Bane.

jon, blood brothers are basically a disgrace to hardcore. do not listen

in other news, fucked up played denver last week and i forgot to go.

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate View Post
    Jon Turner - the shows at the fireside take me back. The Chicago scene was always fun. For indie-rock shows, it doesn't get better than the Metro or Schubas. the best hardcore shows were at Fireside Bowl. Krazyfest with botch and Poision the Well - kick ass show. Did you ever go to shows in Goshen / Warsaw / or Indy? Converge kicked ass back then, and I still hate Bane.
    Never made it to Goshen or Warsaw, but saw plenty of shows at the Emerson and a couple other places around Indy. Bane's singer got pulled off the stage once at the Emerson and landed on my head. His foot hit one side and the mic hit the other side. I started bleeding all over my face, but it was during "Can We Start Again", so I just kept rocking out until the song was over. I went to the merch booth and they said it was bad, and we couldn't find any paper towels or anything, so they gave me some free bane patches to soak it up.

Avail played that area a lot, and I spent most of college driving all over the place to see Avail. I think I've seen them over 40 times at this point. Love that band.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

Quote Originally Posted by damn texan View Post
    jon, blood brothers are basically a disgrace to hardcore. do not listen

in other news, fucked up played denver last week and i forgot to go.
    Yeah, I kinda thought that about blood brothers. Missed fucked up too. These Arms are Snakes and Git Some are coming around soon. I'll probably go to that show.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jon turner View Post
    Avail played that area a lot, and I spent most of college driving all over the place to see Avail. I think I've seen them over 40 times at this point. Love that band.
    Pretty obvious considering you got the dixie pic as an avatar.

fucked up is pretty fuckin great.
    reminds me of arcade fire being gang raped by negative approach

and blood brothers are a fine band the only thing i can say bad aout them is that bob'what's lowend?" rock was a shitty producer for "bpib"

here is some band i was playing in then decided i had no interest in being in for some reason. we were going for an early 80s boston hardcore (fu's, jerry kids, ssd, etc) / noise punk sound. questionable how that turned out. they are playing with no babies soon though. that band is awesome, and is going black flag and playing a show every night for like five months in basements and other random places. http://www.myspace.com/harshbuzzfu

I nailed Tyrone Shoelaces to the fucking X.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

San Diego show (at The Glasshouse):
    Unbroken
    Swing Kids
    Undertow
    Jenny Piccolo
    Threadbare
    Fast Forward
    Weird, a key member of Unbroken and Swing Kids is deceased.

And those of you who missed Fucked Up, well, you fucked up.
    Last edited by Greydon Clark; 02-18-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Because a guitarist has never been replaced before.

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post

And those of you who missed Fucked Up, well, you fucked up.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's everyone but that guy. They have a myspace page now with all the details.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

Went to one show in the 90s - I think it was Hardball and Dog Eat Dog(?), at some now defunct club (think it was Local 186) in Allston near the Store 24 on Comm Ave. Friends thought I would enjoy it, but wasn't really my scene (I was more of a punk/ska suburbanite pussy type). Only hardcore album I ever owned was Slapshot's Sudden Death Overtime.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Went to one show in the 90s - I think it was Hardball and Dog Eat Dog(?), at some now defunct club (think it was Local 186) in Allston near the Store 24 on Comm Ave. Friends thought I would enjoy it, but wasn't really my scene (I was more of a punk/ska suburbanite pussy type). Only hardcore album I ever owned was Slapshot's Sudden Death Overtime.
    Aghh Bunnratty’s/Local 186! It is now the Wonder Bar. I live literally less than 1000' from the place.

Last time I was at the Emerson, it was still a shit-hole, and some friends got arrested for standing on the sidewalk - outside the theater. I too have seen Avail many many times. Seemed like they played every show in Indy for a while. I do miss Stevie Rays House of Wax in Muncie. The shows there were a big reason I went to Ball State.

Edit: My wife thinks she may have been at that Bane show too. Neither one of us can remember them playing in Indy many times, but we both saw them at the Emerson once. But people get bloody all the time in the pit.

I probably was at some of those shows in Indy.
    Last edited by emtnate; 02-18-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Chicago show (at the Metro):
    Ah memories....I lived at Racine and Waveland in 1991. Only one block behind the Metro and the Gingerman...No need to control the drinking. The Metro's owner beat the living shit out of a friend of mine with a roll of quarters, just knocked him the fuck out and banned him for life. And we were at the Metro's Nirvana show where that evil cunt Courtney Love got her filthy hooks into Cobain. Just think, I could have hit Kurt Cobain with a beer bottle, sent him to the hospital and changed musical history. Who knew? "Nevermind" had only been released two weeks earlier, Nirvana was just a rising grunge band and Courtney Love was just the skanky bitch that Billy Corgan had just kicked to the curb. But she found a ride outta Chitown that night. Boy, did she ever...
    Last edited by neckdeep; 02-23-2009 at 11:34 PM.

anybody ever make it to any of the shows that Josh Grabelle had at his house in the 90s?

nothing like seeing Earth Crisis, Strife & etc in a basement of a house

I guess Gorilla Biscuits was late 80's, as noted above, but it took a while for things to filter down to hick towns in BC. My first exposure to GB was "New Direction" in some old skate video - anybody remember what vid it was?

Kind of threadjack, but for any of you who didn't live in urban areas, remember how fucking difficult it was to find tapes etc? You'd hear something on a skate vid, or at a party, or somewhere, and would spend months trying to track it down.
    I'm taking myself to a dirty part of town, where all my troubles can't be found...