Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tell me about Vancouver (visiting for two weeks)

Looks like I'll be in Vancouver starting next Monday for two weeks. Never been there before. Probably staying downtown near our office, no car (but might get one for the weekend).

So tell me, what should I see and do? What shouldn't I miss? Is there decent skiing closer than Whistler? Can I bring tele boots and rent skis somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Go to granville island. If the weather's nice, run the seawall. Run the seawall even if it isn't. Bring your tele gear and hit Baker for a day. Go night skiing on the north shore. Use the search function and find more.
    Living vicariously through myself.

You HAVE to cruise east Hastings street and observe
    So local it hurts...

Do what HotCarl says!!
    Also Granville is a good suggestion. Vancouver is one beautiful city.

find some pickup ultimate (hard)
    listen to someone complain that the Olympics are the root of all that is wrong with Vancouver (easy)
    have a Bennys bagel (yum)
    don't go to Whistler
    troll UBC for hotties
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

We've been through this many a time. Most recently with Tyrone. I think we ended up with at least a page or two of everything you want/need to know.

Search.

Come here to UBC and hit on the honeys.

Stanley Park, Granville Island (watch out for drunk 18 year olds driving stolen SUVs at night), Walk around Kits and the beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Come here to UBC and hit on the honeys.

Stanley Park, Granville Island (watch out for drunk 18 year olds driving stolen SUVs at night), Walk around Kits and the beaches.
    hahaha, you need to get out around ubc and "hit on the honeys" keegan. you want to get beers tonight? i'm fried from midterms....

oh and east hastings is beautiful, make sure to walk it at night when it really comes alive.

The aquarium is fantastic.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Hit up bingo at the cobalt, you'll never forget it. Unless you drink to much of the cheap beer.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

the cambie, on cambie.

carve your name in something

wake up with a raging hangover, and a t-shirt

Forgot about Hastings, definitely check it out if you have the time.

Vancouver:

• beautiful city
    • terrible, terrible drivers (no matter the age, sex, race, whatever)
    • people are not very sociable (nice people if you get the chance to get to know them, but that isn't easy)
    • Hastings is so fucking sad you'll stab your eyes out later
    • Granville Island has a nice history and is a nice place to chill, as is
    • Stanley Park
    • Jericho Beach
    • English Bay
    • the million gardens

and so on

but watch out for the drivers, they're bad.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

I should be around during the next couple of weeks... Shoot me a PM once you fly in... Fun city, not the craziest night life in the world though...

Fun city and Vancouver females really know their hockey, which is fairly hot, imo.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

go to stanley park and canada place on the waterfront, granville island and the market thing there, gastown and chinatown night market if its going on.

If you have a chance to get to north van, check out lynn canyon park and deep cove. You can rent kayaks in deep cove and paddle up indian arm, also there are obviously tons of mountain bike trails on all the north shore mountains. Snow cover may be a problem for that though.

Under no circumstances should you go to the capilano suspension bridge, its a complete ripoff tourist trap. lynn canyon is much better and free.

bouldering and top roping in lighthouse park in west vancouver if you are into that. you can do bouldering traverses that you'll fall into the water if you don't make it. squamish is really the mecca for climbing though. apparently the rock is very good right now. that tells you all you should need to know about ski conditions.

Food wise, there are lots of good restaurants in vancouver. commercial drive and denman street are full of good places of all kinds of ethnicities.

Particularly strong food genres for vancouver are asian foods of every category and seafood (SALMON). You should probably go to all you can eat sushi while you are here.

Also, 49th parallel coffee roasters at west 4th and arbutus supposedly has the best coffee in canada. I couldn't tell you if its the best, but I can tell you its damn good. don't just limit yourself to espresso either, try different stuff made with the clover.

Weak food genres for vancouver are mexican (overpriced and bland) and pizza. You should not be eating pizza while you are here unless you bought it for a dollar on granville street at 2am. If you want mexican food, go down to washington.

Also, compared to western states in the u.s., there aren't that many local microbreweries in vancouver. that kind of thing hasn't caught on so much here I guess. Granville island is decent (you can tour it when you are at granville island and get a beer sampler) but its not really all that "micro". That being said, you won't have a problem finding places to get blitzed.

^^^^Personally,i'd rather do the Hastings St. shuffle
    So local it hurts...

Good info from most. Thanks!

Any restaraunt recommendations?

burgoo, the original near ubc, not the new one, is great for just soups and sandwiches. They have a grilled cheese that, although just a grilled cheese, is perhaps the tastiest food on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by todug27 View Post
    burgoo, the original near ubc, not the new one, is great for just soups and sandwiches. They have a grilled cheese that, although just a grilled cheese, is perhaps the tastiest food on the planet.
    I can vouch for this. He spends too much time there

Check out Vij's for amazing Indian food.

Memphis Blues
    Reef
    Topenga
    Guu
    Eatery
    Foundation (vegetarian)
    Wazubees or Subeez

Breakfast:
    Elbow Room
    Bon's Off Broadway

Restaurant recommendations:

French: Boneta (in Gastown)
    Sushi: Honjin (Lonsdale or Yaletown) Eatery is decent, but the variety is INSANE which is pretty cool
    Italian: Umberto's (Pacific & Hornby)
    Brunch: Nu (under the Granville St bridge)
    And if you're strolling around Robson area and want a quick bite (during the week), the Family Gourmet Deli (underground, in Royal Centre)

Also, agreed with avoiding Capilano Suspension bridge, it's a tourist trap for sure. Lynn Canyon is almost as cool, and it's free. If you feel like getting up early, the sunrise from the Cypress Mountain lookout (halfway up the road to the mountain) is wicked.
    Last edited by wren; 02-13-2009 at 06:27 PM.

definitely try to hit up east hastings. the nightlife is incredible, just has a certain 'buzz' you can't find anywhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

if anybody named Jesse Jones tries to sell anything to you while you are there, don't do it- turn him in to the Vancouver PD.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

I led you astray, apparently the Cobalt is no more. Listen to the rest of the pussies and have fun on the safe side.

Or get pissed on east Hastings, do shitty blow and nail a couple whores. The choice is yours.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.