advres Guest

Question Boston to Europe?

Planning a trip across the pond for this coming summer. I have never left this country, except for Canadia and I have a few questions...

I have been looking at many airlines with similar stops and costs. Any I should stay away from or actively search out over others?
    KLM-Royal Dutch Airlines
    Northwest Airlines
    United Airlines
    US Airways
    British Airways
    Aer Lingus
    Icelandair
    Virgin Atlantic

Will I be able to read the signs in airports for layovers?

Do I need to go through customs at each stop, or do I just deal with checked baggage at my final destination?

This is more of a business trip than site seeing, but is there anything I absolutely shouldn't miss in the UK?

And finally, are there any non-craiglist site for the UK that are like craiglist, only better?

International JONG signing out!

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post

YES, unless you're flying via Greece or Russia... And even in that case, you'll prolly do just fine.

Do I need to go through customs at each stop, or do I just deal with checked baggage at my final destination?

I'm pretty sure you need to go trough customs when ya 1st enter Schengen-area, but your luggage should go all the way to yer final destination.

And finally, are there any non-craiglist site for the UK that are like craiglist, only better?

Natives.co.uk might be worth a check... Depending on what ya really after.
    Oh, and if you have a FF-card, try to use a comp that is part of the same dealio so ya get the points.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

ummmm... since this is your first time, you pretty much have to use Virgin.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

This is more of a business trip than site seeing, but is there anything I absolutely shouldn't miss in the UK?

1. having a drink with the London mags and/or going to a naked lady shop with Hayduke

2. what are you looking for?
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Heathrow and Schiphol are the two airports NOT to do a quick transfer through. Your bags will likely get lost.

In the UK, I would have recommended Lapland New Forest but I think you've missed out.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    1. having a drink with the London mags and/or going to a naked lady shop with Hayduke

2. what are you looking for?
    Honestly I am wondering about job opportunities in my field. It's hard enough getting editing and motion graphics work here in Boston where I know people, the UK would be a bitch!

there is a lot of that sort of work around in London, but would probably depend a bit on your work permit status

have a couple of mates in that line of work - can ask if there are any good websites etc where this sort of thing is advertised

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    ummmm... since this is your first time, you pretty much have to use Virgin.
    you get a 5 on that one

I flew Aer Lingus last summer and was not impressed. Just kinda ratty and worn around the edges.

Austrian Airways was decent, clean and well-ordered as you might expect.

British Airways is meh in economy but nice in business class and up.

Virgin is nice.

All the U.S. carriers are mediocre at best but certainly tolerable if you get a deal. It's just not a super-long flight to Euroland from Boston, so you just put up with it and get there.

just finishing off the airline recommendations - I think Iceland air always flys via Rekjavik so you end up with something like 1 5hour flight and 1 3 hour flight. stop over in Rekjavik might be fun though

BA and Virgin both have premium economy so if you have a bit of spare cash and want some more room, those are good options

What not to miss in the UK in summer ?
    Spain or south western France.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

This made me laugh. If you have a stop in Amsterdam I guarantee you'll get a kick out of how generally, the airline/airport employees speak better english than most airport workers in the US.

The Mirch Masala curry house in Tooting.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

^^Hehe, you said tooting.

I made the mistake this summer of flying Boston -> Philly -> Dublin on U.S. Air. It was the cheapest way to get from Boston to Dublin, but the flight out of Boston was delayed, and I missed the flight from Philly -> Dublin. As it so happens, there is only one flight per day from Philly -> Dublin on U.S. Air, so I had to get a hotel and wait around for 24hrs in Philly until the flight the next day.

So the lesson is: try and fly direct from Boston -> Europe. Do not be tempted to fly via NYC or another U.S. city.

I would consider flying Boston -> Dublin direct, and then getting a flight on RyanAir from Dublin -> London. RyanAir flights are ridiculously cheap, as in, like, $30 one way. No shit. (www.RyanAir.com)

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad in the Worcester Telegram or the Boston Globe the other day advertising cheap flights ($199) from Boston -> Dublin on Aer Lingus, but you have to book very very soon. If you can get to Dublin for $200ish, just hop on a RyanAir flight to London once you're there and you will be golden.
    Last edited by dipstik; 02-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    This made me laugh. If you have a stop in Amsterdam I guarantee you'll get a kick out of how generally, the airline/airport employees speak better english than most airport workers in the US.
    So true. I spent 10 days in Nederland, and didn't have a language problem until I landed in O'Hare

Generally speaking I prefer Euro airlines to US carriers. They actually seem to care that you fly with them. Avoid Heathrow like the plague, they are number one for lost luggage. I never had a problem in Schilpo, but Roo probably knows better.

Don't try and do or see too much, just enjoy where ever you are. The best times I have had in Yurp are just sitting in a cafe and drinking coffee (or in a pub drinking beer).

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A UK Craigslist type site is gumtree.com. A lot of low-level positions but I'm frequently surprised by some of the big companies that use it a lot, even for fairly senior positions.

Signs in every international Europe airtport I've been to are in English as well as the local language. The best Transatlantic experience I've had was with Virgin. The worst have been with United and Continental.

As for Mirch Masala, I was there last week and, damn, that place is on epic form. Best I've ever known the food. That said, I think there may have been a change of management as I didn't recognise any of the staff, service was a lot faster and there didn't seem to be many regular Tooting locals. I got the impression the locals might have followed the management elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    It's not just airport employees. EVERYONE in Holland speaks better English then Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by ass-to-mouth View Post
    It's not just airport employees. EVERYONE in Holland speaks better English then Americans.
    teeheehee

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Avoid Heathrow like the plague, they are number one for lost luggage. I never had a problem in Schilpo, but Roo probably knows better.
    Avoid Schiphol if possible as well, I fly through there every year on the way to Scandiland. I have bags delayed there at least 75% of the time and its a massive airport to get across if you're in a hurry.

I fly NWA/KLM when I fly to Sweden and have had great service from them, that being said, if you can fly some like BA/Virgin/SAS do it.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning