Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MBSC and GB road trip to MT and BC (2/23 - 3/8/09)

So, goldenboy and I have known for a while that we've wanted to do a trip during the last week of February and first week of March. Those dates mesh with my work schedule and some of my ski goals for the season. After pretty much being set on a road trip to interior BC, our plans were thwarted by the less than desirable season many of the places up north have had. "Maybe we should go to Europe instead," GB said. "Okay, let's look at it." So, we did. We decided the cost of a trip to Europe would be more than twice the cost of a road trip. With our more or less ski bum lifestyles, with the waning economy, and assuming that the world will not end in 2012 as the Mayan calendar suggests, we began to think the better of it. So, road trip it is, for us! No matter what, we are bound to have fun.

Coming from Colorado, we plan to stop in Montana along the way. Jackson and Salt Lake are not out of the question, but we will hit those if it's snowing. We figure that JH and SL are more or less places we could go to in a weekend if we wanted. This road trip is destined for us to hit those far away places.... places we've never been and places we want to go.

Right now, our itinerary is relatively loose. We have ideas of where we would like to go, but snow will be our dictator. Below is a VERY ROUGH idea of where we would like to go and when we would like to be there.

Mon. Feb. 23 - Drive to Bozeman
    Tues. Feb. 24 - 25th- Ski possibly: Bridger, Moonlight, Big Sky, backcountry
    Thurs. Feb 26 - Drive to Fernie
    Fri. Feb. 27 - Ski Fernie, drive to Golden
    Sat. Feb. 28 - March 3 - ski possibly: Kicking Horse, Rogers Pass, Revy, backcountry
    Wed. Mar. 4 - Drive
    Thurs. Mar. 5 - 6 - Ski possibly: Red, Whitewater, backcountry
    Sat. Mar. 7 ??? up for grabs... extra time up in interior BC or MT, or even head down to SL
    Sun. Mar. 8 & 9 - drive back to Crested Butte.

Goldenboy and I know that conditions at many of the places where we want to go are not necessarily optimal. But, we hope some of these conditions will change. We are also hopeful that in places where the inbound skiing is not so good, the backcountry will be nice and stable, allowing us to hopefully be able to ski some bigger lines. Nevertheless, we are destined to have fun no matter what we do.

We are looking to the maggots for suggestions: Where to eat? Where to ski in the backcountry? Where can we get discounts on lift tickets? Where to stay? If anyone can give us a hookup somewhere, we would be deeply indebted and do our best to repay the favor. After all, we do live in a ski town ourselves We would love to hook up with other maggots- whether it be for skiing, eating, or granting us a space on their floor. We would be forever grateful.

We also want to let the maggots know that our schedule is still flexible. And we may or may not be going to all of the above mentioned places. As I said before, snow will be our dictator. We will be flying by the seat of our pants. And if the snow tells us to go somewhere, we will
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 02-12-2009 at 01:18 AM.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

For the record, here in Revy and at the Pass we are having a perfectly average snowfall year. I have a few people visiting just before then I think, I'd be happy to give you guys a tour of Rogers. I also highly recommend eating at Woolsey Creek if you're in Revy, but I'm somewhat biased...
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

Wiilbert- Good news about Revy and Rogers We'll be in touch Thanks!!!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

I'm not really a maggot but here's my contribution for your trip.

There's just no easy way to say this except to be blunt. The interior is very expensive. Even with exchange rates. Plan to spend spend spend. I can easily spend $100-$200/day traveling there -by myself-. And the $100 reflects when I stay with my friends or family. Maybe in the towns off 97 you can spend less, but traveling around Revelstoke or Powder Highway is not cheap. Grocery stores aren't so expensive but prices are what you'd expect in upmarket California, Seattle, or Van. On non-ski days, I spend much less, but even when touring, I find all the costs just add up. Lodging is mostly $100/night. Or maybe $80 to $100 for some motels. There are hostels in various towns if that is your cup of coffee.

Revelstoke: Woolsey ... an odd restaurant with interesting decor and good food. Used to be a German place or something. The Modern is good, Regent i$ excellent, Kawakubo i$ excellent. Coopers is a good market if you want to buy food. Beef tenderloin is very inexpensive, although I don't care for most of the chicken you can buy in the interior. Lamb is decent. There's a rather horrid nightclub in town. Avoid it. Don't buy lift tickets or eat at RMR if you're trying to conserve money. It's quite easily $100 CAD / person / day. ( RMR might have the highest vertical in NA but the entire bottom half of the resort is utterly dull. Not a jab, just a basic truth for skiers like mtnbikerskierchick and goldenboy. The entire bottom half of the mountain is dull groomers and CAT tracks with bad snow. MacKenzie is frequently shrouded in clouds. Sometimes very chilly at the top. Terrain is incredible in places and the snow is often indescribably fun. It's not champagne powder, it's better somehow. Carry food if you're skiing upper mountain. You can get water at the tiny warming hut at the top of the Stoke lift but no food. )

Nelson. Far too much fun for just one visit.
    Kicking Horse is fun. Lower mountain is boring.
    Golden is fun. Good energy, odd place.
    Tour off Revelstoke Mountain Resort. In-bounds is especially fun if you bring skins. There are some long ski outs.
    The new lift at RMR is dull. So is the terrain. It's not a jab - just the truth relative what these two skiers might expect.
    Mt. Begbie or Macpherson are good if you don't want to buy tickets. Ski the womb.
    97 takes you through beautiful and strange places like Grindrod.
    Osoyoos border crossing is rough. I cross there frequently and they're not nice. The US side is especially not nice.
    If you have time, and like something odd, I recommend driving from Revelstoke to Golden in moonlight. It's quite an experience.
    There are lots of neat slide paths from Rogers Pass to Revelstoke. No stopping!
    There are lots of neat slide paths from Revelstoke to Sicamous. Sicamous has a nice Tim Horton's. TH does not take VISA.
    I'm trying to think of something else nice I can say about Sicamous. No, that's all.
    The mountains in the interior are highly aesthetic. It's quite painful in fact.
    You will have to pre-pay for gas everywhere.
    Don't show up in a town expecting that there will be a room available. You might end up sleeping in the car. Make reservations.
    The cheapest places fill up first. There's a cheap place in Big Eddy that's has been full all winter.
    Probably goes without saying, but DO NOT drink and drive. It's serious trouble in Canada.

If you have time to spare, drive from Revelstoke to Sicamous. There are some very odd tourist traps to see. These are all closed in winter but it's almost the strangest section of road in the world. ( With some very nice slide paths if that's your thing. ) The road between Cache Junction and 100-Mile House is similarly strange. My car was stuck there once and had to dig out. Some guys showed up and offered to help but then sort of wanted money. So I dug myself out. The Cariboo Plateau is mesmerizingly beautiful for a flat place. I'd like to tour there one day, maybe on the west side of the Cariboo Mts.

Anyway, you'll have fun no matter what. Roads get quite icy at night. Enjoy yourselfs thoroughly.

We got a bed for you in Missoula, about halfway between Bozeman and Fernie, if you need it.

Cookie Monster, have you put something in those cookies, cus that's a lot of spew.

A. Why would they go thru the Osoyoos border, they're coming from Colorado thru Montana to Fernie. Roosville makes more sense.

B. Why are you talking about highway 97, they aren't going to the Penticton, Kelowna or Vernon, read her itinery. Ditto with Sicamous. And why would you even talk about 100 Mile House, they aren't going Terrace.

C. I bet they could find a room in any of the towns they are planning on going to, just showing up.

If you need a bed when your in Nelson, pm me and I'll make it work, if I'm here.

Lift tickets are about, oh, $50 of something at WW, and you are getting an even better deal bc of the exchange rate. The hotel in Ymir is about $35 a night, 20 min from WW. Last time I was in Seattle pretty much everything was way more expensive than it is here.

Should the snow steer you further west, know that there is a bevy of stashes and crash space in the PNW.

Also, if the snow is decent around there, Discovery Basin is a really fun little area just W. of Butte and Anaconda with surprising wads of gnarl.

I'd also recommend hitting Montana Snow Bowl out of Missoula. Not too much exstreamo stuff, but some really good skiing and great vibe.

Then there's Turner by Libby.

As for places to eat, I thought ther food @ Whitewater was great, like the best I've ever had at a ski cafeteria and reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I did read her itinerary. She mentions having some extra time. I discussed some places in the region.

It's just information.

I should have the March 5th off, and might be willing to show you around at Red or the b/c... might also be able to hook you up with a deal on tickets.

"The entire bottom half of the mountain is dull groomers and CAT tracks with bad snow." not when your maching it and know the rollers and cat tracks......If your into going fast and getting air.

"The new lift at RMR is dull. So is the terrain. It's not a jab - just the truth relative what these two skiers might expect." The lift's terrain is dull but it's what it allows you to ski without skinning out that is good about it, opened up a lot of alpine above that used to require a slog out.

Everything else is pretty spot on. Wiibert's restuaruant is really good!

Bed,shower,and some beers with the locals in Whitefish if you want.

Could be down for a Glacier National Park or Jewel Basin tour as well.

PM us if interested.

If the snow gets good in Banff/Lake Louise I have a b&b in Banff with some availability in early March and a maggot deal.

I'll throw in with Ashean above. If you guys end up in the valley (whitefish, Kalispell), we can help with housing and would love to get in on the touring.

I expect a sick TR, that is all...
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice, tips, and offers. GB and I are so grateful! Maggots rock!

Looks like we'll be fitting in Whitefish near the beginning of our trip!!!
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 02-13-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    -
    14erskiers.com

At Bridger, you have awesome access to big lines a twenty minute hike from the lift with the ability to glide back to said lift.

Snow has been minimal allowing our deep weak layer to adjust but a new layer from our drought could be a problem in the future when we get more snow.

If conditions are good when you are here, you will see the Bridger sidecountry along with the new inbounds terrain is second to none.
    It's like a mini Europe, right up you and Goldenboy's alley. Be happy to show you around.

Even after a foot of snow in a month, this is what we were skiing the other day.
    A miracle, really. I still can't believe it myself.

Droppin' in on Saddle:

A little further out:

Perfect north facing pow:

Saddle peak:

So yeah, things can turn around here pretty quick. Hopefully you get here when it's good, but I have a feeling were due.
    Last edited by tone capone; 02-13-2009 at 12:22 AM.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Yeah, Tone Capone, looks good. Haven't been to your neck of the woods in a tleast 10 years, so I'm stoked. Should be fun

Actually, we got a dusting and a little wind and some surface hoar and it was like another pow day on Saddle.

You could rip it any way you wanted in the good spots.

Even south facing was pleasant with a little snow bonded to the crust.

A great day I didn't expect.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

How to get to Bozeman?: We'll more or less be coming through SLC, so heading north on 15 to Idaho Falls. What should we do after that? Keep taking 15 to Butte, then east on 90 to Bozeman? Or should we take 20 up, then 191 or 89. We're not really interested in the scenic drive. The drive that takes the least amount of time is what we want. We've both been to Yellowstone a few times already.

Also, about how many hours of driving is it from Bozeman to Whitefish? How is driving on 93? (is it a fast or a slow road?)
    -
    14erskiers.com

Go up past targhee and up over Raynolds pass to 287 through the Madison Valley to MT 84 to Bozeman.

Or go through West Yellowstone up 191 along the Gallatin and past Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    As for places to eat, I thought ther food @ Whitewater was great, like the best I've ever had at a ski cafeteria and reasonably priced.
    This bears repeating...gourmet all the way.....and the bc access is gnar!!!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Make that was reasonably priced. They jacked the prices and cut the portions. There isn't really anything under 10 bucks now.

sounds like the maggots are willing to help you guys out. i'm glad to see others going on this type of trip, i had a great time on mine. If you really want to keep it cheap, i would highly recommend doing all your food shopping at the beginning of the trip at a costco or similar store and living of just that. we managed to travel all over the rockies for 3 weeks for a total cost of 650 a person in january. gas has gone up a little, but there is no reason that isn't possible for you guys either.

Maggots rock. Thanks so much for so many of your offers. Unfortunately, I think GB and I are going to have to cancel our road trip. When landing a jump today I felt that all to familiar movement of two bones going the exact wrong way. When I tried to stand up, my knee went kaput. So, I think I'm probably done for the season. It's too bad. I was really looking forward to meeting and skiing with all you maggots in some really cool places that I've never been. Oh, well, maybe next year. For now it's time to focus on recovery and work and saving up for a ski trip to South America this summer

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=102850
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 02-15-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    -
    14erskiers.com