Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop View Post
    And trees, I can smoke any of my ski buddies in tight trees.
    That's cause boarding is so easy.

i couldnt keep up with the fashion requirements of a snowboarder.

that and traverses suck. i find snowboarding to be less versitile all around. any kind of crud or moguls are easily doable on a board but i just dont feel any flow or see any grace in doing so. sounds ghey but its true.

that being said, slaying it in the woods or a lift access pow day on a board is almost always wicked fun.

tried it back in 97. first day was fantastic. 18 inches of fresh. rode the face all day and it was great. next day was a firm day at the wood. caught my toeside doing mach .75. went back to the car, grabbed my skis, and never looked back.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanMtnMan View Post
    I rode a board back in the 90's for a while after growing up on skis. I enjoyed the new challenge quite a bit. There is absolutely no ride more unique and soulful as deep pow on a snowboard in my opinion. I also realize the many contributions of snowboarding to skiing (deeper sidecuts, twin tips, fatter skis...) a true symbiotic relationship.

Three issues became apparent after a while though:

1. Resting involved sitting in the snow, heat loss acceleration.

2. Non-releasable bindings. An avy or a real nasty spill and I want all equipment away from me (I also don't wear pole straps).

3. The straw for me though, was a complete lack of mobility and versatility. As I got more into mountaineering, and general out of resort travel, I realized that a snowboard was far inferior. We all notice this on any cat track without enough downhill to carry the flats. Consider a 300 meter traverse in deep snow to the next downward pitch.

I recommitted to skis with a vigor after this revelation.

Last opinion, snowshoes are terrible in the mountains.
    I'll concede points 2 and 3. But I'm not much of a mountaineer. Someday I'll have my own heli just like Travis.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Seriously, why have you never tried snowboarding?
    It may have to do with the fact that I am sexually attracted to women.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I gotta agree with you a bit. I think of it as a broadening of the total ski experience (actually, I almost think of them as one and the same now). It definitely taught me to look at terrain a bit differently and you could argue it makes you a better skier.

I'll always be a skier at heart but fuck if it isn't a blast haulin ass through fresh powder on a board sometimes.

The time / gear thing is prolly what deters most rippers who don't necessarily want to give up skiing, that and the whole "inferior mode of transport" thing.

this just seems fitting here...

i considered picking up skiing again, but i decided that i just might as well push myself and become an even better snowboarder. traverses and flat spots are pains in the ass, but i can deal with them. i considered going back to skis because it's hard to be a snowboarder here in vermont that doesn't go in the park and can't do tricks. i always get funny looks when people find out that i suck in the park and can barely ride switch even though i've been snowboarding for 14 years. i'd much rather ride in the trees or just lap the steepest groomers i can find (there wasn't much else to do for the 6 or so years that i rode at loon) than hit up the park any day of the week. it also kind of sucks not to have anyone to ride with because i don't know many boarders who like to ride outside of the park and can keep up with me.

i find it funny how many people here rag on snowboarding, saying that it's too easy and not challenging enough. i will admit it's pretty easy for beginners to pick it up, but i'd say that it's probably at the same level as skiing in terms of how much it takes to truly be able to do it well.

I guess brett doesn't want free bindings. That, or SheRa already has him strapped in.

"a yin without a yang"

Tried it for a couple days. It sucked.

It sucks to have to unstrap / restrap every time you get on and off the lift.
    It sucks on flat stuff and traverses where everyone else is skating / poling past me to the good stuff.
    They suck in moguls. Even if I don't want to ski moguls, moguls are often necessary for access.
    I don't like being the douche that side slips down something, ruining it for everyone else.
    I don't like being the douche that makes half of his turns blindly, hoping that there aren't any little kids behind me.
    A fast snowboard is still slower than a decent pair of skis (in terms of basic groomed run straightlining).
    I'm not fat enough to be a snowboarder.

Anyway, blurry, if you will give the old heel toe an honest go I've got a free pair of burton cartels with your name on em. You got your little road gap out the way, how bout something new?
    Something "new" you say?

I first learned on a Black Snow snowboard in the mid 80's. Thing was so ghetto,
    they didn't even fill in the base of the board where the nuts of bindings were.

I was in heaven when my buddy lent me his Gnu Kaos board.

I always wanted a Gnu AntiGravity...never happened.

Anyway, the only boards available back then were:
    Barfoot
    Burton
    Kemper
    Gnu
    Simms (halfpipe and switchblade)

I forget a few others, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I can snowboard fine. I can even ride switch and throw methods.

I went to school with Lisa Kosglow, so yes, snowboarding was a pretty big deal.

Been a long time, but if you or anyone else can supply all the gear, I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A fast snowboard is still slower than a decent pair of skis (in terms of basic groomed run straightlining).
    May I kindly refer you to the barking bear forum. I think the might understand wtf you are talking about.

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Something "new" you say?

I first learned on a Black Snow snowboard in the mid 80's. Thing was so ghetto,
    they didn't even fill in the base of the board where the nuts of bindings were.

I was in heaven when my buddy lent me his Gnu Kaos board.

I always wanted a Gnu AntiGravity...never happened.

Anyway, the only boards available back then were:
    Barfoot
    Burton
    Kemper
    Gnu
    Simms (halfpipe and switchblade)

I forget a few others, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I can snowboard fine. I can even ride switch and throw methods.

I went to school with Lisa Kosglow, so yes, snowboarding was a pretty big deal.

Been a long time, but if you or anyone else can supply all the gear, I'm down.
    I knew you weren't a complete tool blurry. If you want the bindings they are yours. No extra boards, but it's a start. Drop me your addy in a PM.

"a yin without a yang"

May I kindly refer you to the barking bear forum. I think the might understand wtf you are talking about.
    If I have to go fast to get up a rise in a groomed run (which is necessary to access a lot of the goods on the local hill) I can either: 1) strap on skis, make it most of the way up the rise because I'm going fast, and then maybe skate a little bit, or 2) strap on a snowboard, go half as fast, not make it up the hill at all, unstrap my boots and then hike for a couple minutes.

I'm not talking about carving high speed race turns here, I'm talking about simple utility. Snowboards are great for rich fat kids with helicoptors. When I'm rich, fat and have access to a helicopter, then maybe I'll reconsider.

I snowboarded 3 days last week. Great thing to at Mt. Hood when it hasn't snowed in forever and it's sunny. It had been 7 years since I'd last been on a board. Got it back pretty quick.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

When I'm rich, fat and have access to a helicopter, then maybe I'll reconsider.
    I have always wondered how those skinny, malnourished poor kids managed to swing a lift ticket. I guess giving blow jobs in the parking lot has its advantages.

"a yin without a yang"

I really could care less what people choose to do to get down the mountain...I've been known to straightline a mean avy shovel. I do find it interesting that there are not more boarders on TGR forums...but I don't really care...most everyone here seems to get that it's about a lot more than what's on their feet.

Splitboards are definitely sub-standard mode of backcountry travel...but with good route selection can often become a non-issue. Problem is in mixed company (ie. skiers & snowboarders). Some resorts suck for boarders but JH is not one of them.

I like boarding 'cause I think it is a lot easier on my knees...which suck to begin with. Definitely harder on the skull...but helmets are easy to replace.

The key for me is that snowboarding is much more zen. No wiggle wiggle. Just smooth flow. Haven't skied in 15 years.

As you can tell from my username, I ride and love every second of it. I started skiing, but the first time I started to link turns I was hooked.

People have said it already on here, skis are tools, while a board is a toy. Think back to the childhood days, would you rather play with your pops router or drill press, or your kick ass GI Joes. Thats the feeling riding gives me, I feel like a kid again. I have a ton of fun, and thats really all that matters.

Ill agree that skis are more versatile in the backcountry, cause it sure sucks to fuck around with the pins from my Voile hardware when its negative 10 and blowing snow. But at the same time a board is better in cream cheese, crud. and powder IMO so its give and take. Sure I cant make it to the furthest stretches of the cirque via the traverse here in Jackson, but Id rather hike the headwall anyway if I'm going through that much effort in the first place.

Plus, skiers with a busted ACL are a dime a dozen, I know of only 1 snowboarder with the same issue. The speed thing is relative if you ask me, there are few people that I cant hang with that ski, and for a bunch of people who have only tried riding a few times to say they aren't as fast is like a second grader grading a calculus test. If you had two exact talent levels, with one on a board and one skiing, Im sure the skier would probably win, but when your talking speeds of 50 plus, who gives a fuck? Its still fast as hell.

Each one has their pros and cons, and each one can scape off a ton of snow in the right hands, but its what you like that matters.
    Last edited by AdironRider; 02-08-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Live Free or Die

I have always wondered how those skinny, malnourished poor kids managed to swing a lift ticket. I guess giving blow jobs in the parking lot has its advantages.
    Huh, and I always wondered how those fat kids got so fat. I guess you've got to swallow a lot more to get into the A-star.

I gotta get to sleep blurry, offer's open, cheers turd burglar. And I want to see Max hitting that gap soon.

"a yin without a yang"

Another very part time boarder.... Things have come a long way since my first board, a Burton Performer with f-ing skegs. If the gear gods could improve the whole split board system, I'd board more. I tele and alpine as well but have mainly focused on tele the past 15 years. I dig all three but its confusing to decide which toys to take on a given day, not to mention the cost of owning/maintaining all this shit.

If I have to go fast to get up a rise in a groomed run (which is necessary to access a lot of the goods on the local hill) I can either: 1) strap on skis, make it most of the way up the rise because I'm going fast, and then maybe skate a little bit, or 2) strap on a snowboard, go half as fast, not make it up the hill at all, unstrap my boots and then hike for a couple minutes.
    imo that sounds more of a problem with your ability than the sport itself. don't knock it just because you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    imo that sounds more of a problem with your ability than the sport itself. don't knock it just because you suck.
    I do, without a doubt, suck at snowboarding. Apparently everyone else in Montana does too, since none of the snowboarders here can make it up the hill I referenced above. On the upside, Montana has lots of good skiers, because the skiers make it up the hill without much trouble. Hell, my buddy that's been snowboarding for 7 years could never make it up the hill, but he strapped on some skis for the first time about a week ago and managed to make it most of the way up the hill. He must already be better at skiing than snowboarding (I do admit, he hardly ever "pizzas" anymore, he mostly "french fries")

But you are right, I suck at snowboarding.

The question in this thread isn't 'why does snowboarding suck' or 'why don't you snowboard,' it's, 'why haven't you tried it?

So far the answers sound like:
    • What's the point when I can already ski?
    • Don't want to fuss around getting into more gear
    • Don't like going sideways/like to face downhill
    • Afraid of hurting myself

Re: what's the point - it's a different sensation and if you like skateboarding or surfing it's got a very surfy feel, and it's ridiculously fun in powder. It's also way more manageable on breakable crust heavy powder creamed corn mashed potatoes, and better for certain types of ski mountaineering descents (because your hands are free to use ice axes and other equipment)

Re: don't want to fuss with gear - there are a lot of boarder maggots here who probably have extra loaner gear that's a) free and b) way better than rental gear if you ever want to try it

Re: don't like going sideways or afraid of hurting yourselves - yep, those are issues and I feel yah

And some people who have tried it and choose to ski only, say that
    • I wasn't feeling it
    • I hurt myself
    • I felt unchallenged

Re: wasn't feeling it - sweet, you were open minded enough to try it and you like skiing. Good on yah.

Re: you hurt yourself - bummer, hope that doesn't keep you down. If you want to try it again with lessons/advisement from maggots I'm sure there are plenty here who will give you some pointers

Re: you felt unchallenged - I was bored and unchallenged for a while until I stopped boarding with my college crew and started riding at real mountains. I tried to follow a grad school buddy around Kirkwood and realized what a total gaper I was. Just having someone to help open your eyes about what it means to be able to ride certain lines is a very big thing, and challenging yourself on the terrain is a big thing too.

But I think the real reason for not having tried it, that no one has had the cojones to list is:
    I don't want to look and feel like a gaper at my local hill

So here's a flip side response. Why haven't I tried skiing?

I haven't tried it in a few years. I keep telling myself I'm gonna wait for spring conditions when I'm not "wasting powder" and not gonna break myself on bulletproof, but who knows I might just want to be touring all spring. Plus I keep telling myself I'm gonna hook up with maggots offering to throw me a basic lesson, and it never happens. I think it's a major issue of motivation if you can already do one thing well and enjoy doing it.

I did borrow a pair from a buddy a few years ago to ski a cheap day at Flatstar and I was on the green chairs trying to work the same type of carve lines that I work on my board on these skis. Except with none of the understanding of the mechanics or muscle memory ... and it was painful and frustrating. Really, I just need to set aside time to mentally *not board* and get a lesson from buddies or the ski school. It is definitely difficult to mentally start over but that's where one needs to be at first I think.

I want to learn to ski for certain types of lines that I think would be more fun on skis, and I want to learn to freeheel because splitboards can be a real PITA for certain types of touring. Ultimately though, I think I will always primarily be a boarder for two reasons: a) my knees are shit, b) I love the surfy feeling.

But if this thread is going to devolve into the same stale arguments about snowboarding sucking though ...

Quote Originally Posted by DARYLL View Post
    Skis are a tool a snowboard is a toy
    Both are capable or ruining the snow go to Alta for proof. In response to the guy from America Jr aka Canada.
    Is my meter broken? Because every sentence in this post sounds lame.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

i tried snowboarding once, at wolf creek. i got tired of having to walk five miles after every 200 foot steep shot and realized i'd never get in any vert if i couldn't skate back to the lift.

Snowboard , realize your skateboard dreams.

I like snowboarding to do stuff I could never do on my skateboard. Skateboarding hurts when your old. I still skate a little and I love it. Just way too dangerous for my livelihood if I fall. I still fall snowboarding. It doesnt hurt as much. I'm trying to maintain a level of flying off shit sometimes everything in sight. To an ability of ripping but not blowing up. That is my look at why I snowboard.

Ski or Board.The percentage of real rippers out there is small. Some mountains the percentage is higher.

Anyone can rip in your 20's but after you blow up a couple times you tend to rethink things. Some of the best who blew up too many times are back home on the farm never to be in the mountains again. Just cant do it anymore.

I wanna go fast when I'm old and still catch air.

Skateboarding isnt really a Maggot thing. On the internet when they were kids maybe, but real life ripping not so much. Esp 30 and up crowd.