Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Your thoughts...banning resort skier for public comments?

Looking for Maggot thoughts on this topic:

Long-time Sugarloaf (Maine) resort skier gets his season pass "refunded" (i.e. they pull his pass for the year but give him his money back) and also threaten him with trespassing charges if he ever decides to buy a day ticket to Sugarloaf or Sunday River. For what you might ask - because he wrote an internet chat comment about a press release that they did not find acceptable to Boyne management.

I know it is not that simple, but here is the resulting chat in questions:
    Sugarloaf Today - Chat Room Discussion

Short synopsis...a guest of the resort who was there for a racing event died while skiing a non-race trail. The mountain press release added a line at the end that said, more or less, the accident was not the result of trail conditions. The offending comment, which called the "disclaimer" unwarranted and inappropriate, by said Sugarloaf skier on a non-Sugarloaf chat room (like TGR) was not appreciated by management and they tracked him down, called him at home, and told him thet he was persona-non grata at Sugarloaf or Sunday River.

Will JHMR or Alta pull the season pass of a TGR user for comments negative about the resert? Commence discussion...

that's bullshit, if that is the entire set of facts.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

NAZI's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Hugh Conway Guest
    reason #345247895324 the East Coast sucks

thats the most rediculous thing i've heard all day.

No shirt, no shoes, no service. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

So yeah they can do it, but it sure sucks, and is going to amount to a whole lot of bad press for them.

Can Alta or JH do it? Sure, but let's hope they aren't that stupid.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Can Alta or JH do it? Sure, but let's hope they aren't that stupid.
    they wouldn't need too. their battered wife brigade would order a code red first

If the resort is on private land, it's well within their rights. That said, it isn't right either from a moral or business perspective. They will get bad PR out of htis.

If it is on public lands, I'd say they don't have a riight to refuse service purely for exercising the 1st amendment off site.

Also, Keystone is flat. I know VA won't ban me for that. They know it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Just an obervation but Boyne resorts haven't been known for being customer friendly in Michigan for a long time.

Here's his post that got him booted:

Nice work-in at the bottom of the article by marketing to assure potential Cu$tomers that the death was not related to conditions....
    I like how he changed his named to "exiled".
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Does anyone have e-mail addy's for these pin-heads?
    I am planning on writing quite the letter outling my thoughts on this. I have cross-posted to other forums, this is generating a serious conversation on the dynamics of internet nerf/real life. The guy didn't say anything outrageous, in fact, he likely was spot on. I encourage anyone here to fire off an e-mail...that is some serious BULLSHIT.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Lame,Lame, & LAME in no particular order.I hope lots of bad press damages their bottom line.
    Calmer than you dude

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Does anyone have e-mail addy's for these pin-heads?
    I am planning on writing quite the letter outling my thoughts on this. I have cross-posted to other forums, this is generating a serious conversation on the dynamics of internet nerf/real life. The guy didn't say anything outrageous, in fact, he likely was spot on. I encourage anyone here to fire off an e-mail...that is some serious BULLSHIT.
    I would but I don't want to lose my pass

seriously, this is fucked. Talk about a silencing of free speech.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Hopefully, this forum can be one of less irrational conspiracy theory and more objective feedback and dialogue. If it does not it will become shut out, as a source of information and those who participate will be not welcome to enjoy that great mountain.
    posted by sugarloaf management on an unaffiliated forum.

Holy shit, boyne is fucking crazy. Oh, shit, there goes my pass.

http://www.sugarloaf.com/contact.html

Contact John Diller, I would think.

John Diller
    General Manager
    207-237-6903

It's hard to believe that there isn't more to the story.

knarshedmotatoes Guest
    since more people know about this sugarloaf just dug a deeper hole for themselves by pulling that guys pass. you just lost a "potential" customer sugarloaf.

email sent to Boyne Corporate:

My entire family are avid skiers and I recently read this thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=150315

If this is a true representation of how you treat your customers be assured I will never again visit any of your properties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    email sent to Boyne Corporate:

My entire family are avid skiers and I recently read this thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=150315

If this is a true representation of how you treat your customers be assured I will never again visit any of your properties.
    Great, now if I talk shit about SR or Sugarloaf in this thread I won't be able to go there for the rest of my life? LAME.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

just sent them an email stating i will not give my business to a Boyne resort again.
    Their email is info@boyne.com if anyone else wants to email them

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    It's hard to believe that there isn't more to the story.
    Fisrt, everyone in the Sugarloaf community was heartbroken by the tragedy of unfortunate circumstances, and we all are too familiar with the risk involved in skiing, a death on the mountain to anyone is awful.

While I tried to provide a quick summary, there is some more that I can offer in the way of anecdotal commentary on said poster. The patron in question has had more than once been critical of Sugarloaf management, but as pointedly mentioned by others, the comments may be sarcastic but is an opinion. It appears that management has finally had enough and decided to take action.

Yes, as DBS pointed out, Boyne management has chimed in with complete, unconditional support of Sugarloaf management in their decision. Comments on the matter can be directed to John Diller (see web site for addy), General Manager. I would be remiss to say that said poster 'skircher' is Steve Kircher, Eastern US Manager for Boyne USA. I would think that comments to either person would be appropriate.

A Cheryl Fullerton answers (or doesn't) at the number listed above for John Diller. Anyway, I left her a message asking if she would like to publicize their new policy.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That's pretty lame.

I don't think it's right, but technically Sugarloaf can do this I would think. Even if it is on public lands (I have no idea), they can revoke his pass as the company owns the lifts, not the USFS. I would guess he could likely skin up or use the land otherwise as long as he doesn't ride a lift though (depends on general Sugarloaf/USFS policy on this for that particular resort).
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

To any Boyne assholes reading this:

You guys suck herpes laden donkey dick. You did a horrible job running Big Sky, and you seem determined to drive all your customers away.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.