Mounting Kids Mantra Jr. --> Advice?

Just popped for 138 Mantra Jrs. for my 9 year old ripper (4'5" 63lbs).

Binding choice? Thinking Rossi Comp Jr. Other poss. is Roxy N7 DIN 2-7. Maybe even Salomon C609. Any others?

Mount point? No boot center or true center marked, nor is info at Volkl . Little mark on side wall but that is it. Some searching showed that -1.5cm for big Mantras was money. So I'm thinking mount on the arrow, with heel adjusted up, and then pull back the heel next year for larger boots.

Not expecting much feedback but any thoughts?
    That's Mr. JONG to you, punk!

He's 9. He isn't going to notice much difference. 138 is a good length......I'm assuming he is a decent skiier. If he is trading up significantly (both flex and length) from previous season skis, it may take him a few runs to get used to stiffer and longer skis.

Mount 'em up on the line and let him charge. I don't think the exact bindings matter so much at that age...though 'Roxy' is the girl version me thinks so the colors/graphics may not be so manly.

FWIW, my 10 yr old is on 138 Dynastar troubled youth skis with Rossi Comp Jr. bindings. He is a bit heavier at 80#'s and rips. He did find the first couple days this season more difficult coming off of 120 Atomix SX7 noodles.

Just bought the same skis for my 9 year boy 4'11' 95 lb. He has been on the Dynistar Troubled Youth in 133cm. At 85lbs. and type II skier they set his din last year a 2.5. On these at 100lbs and type III he is a 4 din and type II is 3din. With the old clamps set at 2.5 there has been no pre-release all year that I'm aware of. So the shop is mounting a pair of the Rossi AXM 100 that I have at din 3 and I will move them up to din 3.5. O yaeh he does rip and he is smooth unlike me.

Thanks.
    I figured I was overthinking this but someone has to for the thinking for my nine year old.
    He once put his boots on the wrong feet.
    He is on Rossi Scratch BC which he loves, and some Atomic SL9 that have seen 0 days, both in a 130ish.
    Last day out he was arcing turns in waist deep pow down Dave's at Mammoth and I thought "That kid needs Mantras".
    That's Mr. JONG to you, punk!

About to mount the 2019 Mantra Jr (camber with a bit of tip & tail rocker), the version with the M5 graphic. The mount mark on the sidewall seems really forward. If I center the ski on top of the adult Mantra V-Werks, the Jr mark is more centered by a whopping 6cm. Suppose they assume kids will ski switch when screwing around. The narrowest point on the ski is about 1cm behind the mount mark.

Bought the ski for my beginner girlfriend, who won't ever ski switch intentionally. Tempted to mount back 1 or 2cm, any thoughts?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-11-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Had same issue with latest pair of jr confessions. Marked line was super forward even compared to a couple year old pair of kid gotamas. Wanna say the line was only like-3.5 from true center whereas the gotamas in a 10cm shorter length were -5cm

Mounted -1 and 10yr old likes them a lot but tomorrow will be his first taste of pow on the and we’ll see if the surf like a100cm wide ski should for a 75lb kid

there is a line it's just almost invisible and can only be seen by ski techs at your local independent ski shop (probably volkl dealer)
    the binding choice is probably only really decided by if your kid is in a junior sole or adult sole boot and how much they weigh
    I've put 4DIN kid bindings on and everything in between up to spx 10 or free 10s
    check your screw depth
    kids don't care where they're mounted and rip on the recommended line
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Hmm, don't see a line, just a " ] " a bit forward of the serial number printed on the sidewall (same as on Mantra V-Werks and BMT-109). Will have to look again.

Picked up a 7.5mm drill, so good there. Mounting adult bindings.

Mounting Kids Mantra Jr. --> Advice?

I always had good luck with Junior bindings that would accommodate an adult boot lug. Most of them were release value of 2-7. Second the screw length comment. They need to be shorter, too.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Ground the tips off the screws, mounted at -1 after much measuring. Tips have no taper so the sidecut is further forward than adult Volkls, and since these won't see any pow, being centered on the radius counts a lot more than position relative to ski center.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Ground the tips off the screws, mounted at -1 after much measuring. Tips have no taper so the sidecut is further forward than adult Volkls, and since these won't see any pow, being centered on the radius counts a lot more than position relative to ski center.
    Minus one from that line on the sidewall just ahead of the serial number? Is that the supposed manufactures recommended line?

Why not build skis and then put a fucking line on them or put something on the Volkl website other than 'take them to your dealer' to get mounted.

The line seems pretty far forward for my daughter who is used to traditional mounts.

How did that pan out?

Anyway, measuring them the line on the side of the skis ahead of the serial number is about -4.5 from true ski center on 148 cm skis. I'll probably just mount them there. If she grows out of her boots before she grows out of the skis it'll put her back a little more then when I slide the heelpiece back (Solly L7).

Edit 2...mounted -4.5 from true center next to some 136 SL skis.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 05-29-2021 at 05:04 PM.

I just mounted some older Mantra 148s with tech bindings, went -1 from the line which equates to about -5cm from true center. Just trying to add a data point to this thread, will try to update later in the season.