Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: A-Fraud

Selig worked for the owners he had to sell his share of the brewers to get the gig. The comissioner in any sport works for the owners.

Now that Im off my high horse about steroids...what was selig supposed to do in 1998, concerning steroids. Noone thoguht it would get this big...it was saving the game after the players strike in 94...mcgwire/sosa/summer of 1998, it was america's pasttime again. Steroid use became more noticeable in 2001 w Bonds and his fucking huge head...but the owners were making money, baseball was exciting, chicks digging the long ball...we can all look back and say hey---wait---sosa and mcgwire were juicing! but what could anyone do about it? start testing? thats what they were implementing but its tougher with a strong players union who doesnt want testing because they want a 'baseball bull market' to increase pay across the board. more viewers watching 70 home runs, more revenue, more pay for the players

Still douchey that he says rodriguez could get suspended- thatll never happen.
    Decisions Decisions

If Selig suspends A-Rod he'll have to explain why he didn't suspend Petite or Giambi...although, I guess Giambi never really admitted to roid use straight up.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Yeah thats the thing- he would be suspending arod for his admission, not for getting caught. seems screwy. pettite admitted too... just suspend the yankees. dont suspend cc that fat fuck is going to get lit up anyway
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    dont suspend cc that fat fuck is going to get lit up anyway
    If his arm doesn't fall off after a few games...guy throws a lot of pitches...and with the crappy BP that the yankees have it could be a short season for the trillion dollar pitcher. It'll be funny watching CC and AJ go to the DL within three months of the season starting.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Selig worked for the owners he had to sell his share of the brewers to get the gig. The comissioner in any sport works for the owners.
    Not this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenesaw_Mountain_Landis

February 14, 2009
    Amid Scandal, ‘Alex Rodriguez Park’ Is Unveiled

By KAREN CROUSE
    CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The centerpieces gave off the scent of innocence in bloom. At every table on the baseball field Friday night there were glass vases filled with unshelled peanuts, Cracker Jack and toy baseballs, with miniature bats rising like stems and capped by University of Miami batting helmets.

What was meant to be a celebration of Alex Rodriguez’s ties to Miami became an awkward dance for the baseball program in the wake of the revelation that Rodriguez’s baseball legacy includes the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

When his turn came to speak at the Dinner on the Diamond, the Hurricanes’ annual preseason banquet, Rodriguez spit out the wad of gum he was chewing and stepped to the lectern. After the cheers died down, he acknowledged the awkwardness of the situation by giving a shout-out to the phalanx of cameras.

“I want to welcome my friends in the back,” he said. “We travel together just like a family. A dysfunctional family. As you know, it’s been a really quiet week for me, so it’s nice to get out on a Friday night.”

The Dinner on the Diamond has been held before the start of the Hurricanes’ season since well before Rodriguez, the Yankees’ third baseman, began hopping the fence as a kid to attend the games at the field. The difference was this year’s event was a sellout. What elevated this outdoor dining experience from routine to a South Beach-like scene was the invitation that came with Rodriguez’s stamp on it.

The facility was being formally unveiled as Alex Rodriguez Park to honor the ballplayer who turned down a scholarship at the university to sign with the Seattle Mariners but who has been one of its most generous benefactors.

In 1999, the year the Hurricanes won the third of their four College World Series championships, Rodriguez delivered a 90-minute pep talk to the team. As Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris recalled before practice Friday afternoon, Rodriguez talked about hard work, goal-setting and visualization being the key components of his success.

Afterward, Morris said, he asked Rodriguez to close his eyes and visualize being in a major league clubhouse with a television set turned to a Hurricanes game and having the camera pan to the scoreboard and seeing “Alex Rodriguez Park.” Morris said Rodriguez opened his eyes, smiled and said, “I’d like that.”

It took 10 years and a $3.9 million contribution by Rodriguez to transform the visualization into a reality. The ballpark was originally dedicated in 1977, two years after Rodriguez was born. It was named Mark Light Field by the main benefactor to honor his son, who died of muscular dystrophy.

The Hurricanes’ annual banquet turned into the Sinner on the Diamond with Rodriguez’s admission this week that he used performance-enhancing drugs for three years starting in 2001, when he was with the Texas Rangers. He confessed two days after a Sports Illustrated article revealed he had failed a test for banned drugs in 2003. Until 2004, there were no penalties in Major League Baseball for using performance-enhancing drugs.

Morris said the baseball office did field a few negative phone calls in the wake of Rodriguez’s admission. But the voices expressing outrage at the ballpark being named after an admitted steroids user were drowned out by those offering support of the program and of Rodriguez, he said.

“I think the people who are coming here tonight are going to be positive,” Morris said, “or they wouldn’t be here.”

Jim Berlin, who attended the dinner, said of Rodriguez’s use of performance-enhancing drugs, “We’re all disappointed in the behavior.” But he added that Rodriguez had “done so much good.”

“What’s a little bad?” he said. “I’m tolerant of these things.”

Morris said his players knew he would not tolerate the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

“With my players I’ve only addressed the fact that Alex is probably the hardest worker of anybody around,” Morris said.

Speaking to a group of reporters after a two-hour practice, Morris said, “I know it’s been a tough week for Alex. To his credit, he’ll be out here tonight, face this, keep his head high.”

Toward the end of his eight-minute speech, Rodriguez talked about how it is human to make mistakes. “Unless you’ve been in a cave the last week, you know I’ve made some,” he said. “But I understand only in America can you dream big, work hard and be rewarded beyond your dreams. There will be adversity along the way, but regardless of the challenges that lie ahead, move forward, address your errors and right your path.”

Earlier, landscapers from a local company were cleaning up after a day of digging holes and planting trees. They will return Saturday to continue their work. The ballpark, like the man for whom it is now named, is a restoration in progress.

Anyone watch the news conference? I thought he did an OK job addressing what I got to watch.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

like the swallows headed south and the colors changing in VT...steroid press conferences in Tampa
    Decisions Decisions

I miss Robin Yount and Paul Molitor.
    another Handsome Boy graduate