Latin American heritage
    Former AL MVP
    Romantically involved with Madonna
    Member of the 40/40 club
    Admitted using steroids
    Played for NY Yankees

Well, can you guess?
    ......Canseco

Jose is responsible for one of my favorite yankee stadium experiences. I went to see a game from behind home plate the night after he was photographed leaving Madonna's loft at 2am by the Post. He was up in mid game, and rips a drive that hooks down the left field line and was caught in quite dramatic fashion by a young left fielder on the Yanks who wasn't around long - I forget his name. The crowd went nuts, but, then, goes even nuttier as all eyes were on Jose with his finger in a fans face by the visitors dugout right after the catch. He didn't even attempt to run to first - just walked right over and got in this guy's face. Seems the fellow was giving Jose a hard time about his love life in a very boisterous way. The image of this real big, bad ass mofo (Jose was BIG) ready to pounce on bald, bespeckled heckler standing 5'6" was priceless. Security threw the nebbish out of the stadium. Jose went to the showers. Without Madonna.

That's the kind of shit that's missing from the HOF. That's why I think it's a bore.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-09-2009 at 09:28 PM.

I have to hand it to him..

A-Rod has handled this like a professional.
    He could have denied,denied.
    He could have amitted and held a press conference.
    Could have released a written public statement.

He admitted, went on to interview with Peter Gammon, of all people.
    He spoke very forthcoming and candid.

"there is absolutely no excuse"
    "I am sorry, I apologize"

Not "I was duped, It was a screwup with the trainer" no, a full out admittance.
    That was refreshing. Even he admitted in the interview it felt good to admit it.

As a baseball fan, good work in the ownership area A-Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    As a baseball fan, good work in the ownership area A-Rod.
    It's true that Rodriguez handled it better than Bonds, Clemens, or most of the other big names who've gotten caught*, but keep in mind that he just signed a ten-year contract that is potentially worth over $300 million dollars. Clemens and Bonds were beholden to no one, aging players at the end of their (natural) careers. Rodriguez really had no choice but to admit it and move on. The best comparison (former MVP, big market, huge contract, totally busted and- shocker!- then-Yankee) is Giambi, who admitted, in a roundabout way, juicing, and was welcomed back to New York with a standing ovation. I guarantee that's the first thing that Cashman et al thought of when this story broke- "we've done this before."

*although the Juan Gonzalez/Sammy Sosa disappearing act is always a good move.

Now that I watch that whole interview, he should do a remake of The Incredible Mr Limpet. He'd fit that role well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Did Juan Gone sign a minor league deal and attend spring training last year only to be cut? And isn't Sosa trying to find a team to sign him? If they knew what was best for them they'd just disappear.

I want to see who else is on that list of 100 players who tested positive.

Oh, and spot on about why A-Rod had to admit to using roids.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Melky Cabrera should do roids...he sucks
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    It's true that Rodriguez handled it better than Bonds, Clemens, or most of the other big names who've gotten caught*, but keep in mind that he just signed a ten-year contract that is potentially worth over $300 million dollars. Clemens and Bonds were beholden to no one, aging players at the end of their (natural) careers. Rodriguez really had no choice but to admit it and move on. The best comparison (former MVP, big market, huge contract, totally busted and- shocker!- then-Yankee) is Giambi, who admitted, in a roundabout way, juicing, and was welcomed back to New York with a standing ovation. I guarantee that's the first thing that Cashman et al thought of when this story broke- "we've done this before."

I don't remember Jason getting a standing O after that. As a matter of fact, he probably caught a lot of shit until he started hitting massive home runs - and then, of course, all is forgotten.

Let's not forget that A Rod got that 10 year contract because (A) Boreass shopped him around a few years ago and had no other takers and (B) the Yankees thought they had a marketing franchise for that period. You know, the cutesy "clean" player that was going to break Bond's record in Yankee Stadium. That isn't working out too well

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    the Yankees thought they had a marketing franchise for that period. You know, the cutesy "clean" player that was going to break Bond's record in Yankee Stadium. That isn't working out too well

this is what is so awesome about the situation.

BSS Guest
    I'm with Advres. You can stuff your ethics and high horse hand wringing right up in there with your $100 million payrolls and billion dollar stadiums.

Steroids are the best thing that ever happened to modern baseball.

Dave Roberts was on steroids.

So was Ortiz. And Manny.

he learned from Andy's apology

A-Roid had no choice but to admit.

He's a curse and the worse thing ever to happen to the Yanks. I love the Yanks but never liked A-Roid and was so happy when he opted out. We were free of the curse but took him back. Ugh!

Most telling stat the Post has run is his average seasonal games played. In Seattle he averaged 131 games a season. From 01-03 in Texas he averaged 161 games a seasons. Factor in 4 at bats a game and that is like 120 more chances to hit home runs..

All the juice monkeys suck. Out them all. Yanks should void A-Curse's contact!
    Just breathe

I was talking to some people about the PED thing and I say we have a Roidlympics, RoidLB, RoidFL, etc. It would be entertaining as fuck to see how far people will push themselves and their bodies for personal glory. Imagine a 1600m race under 3 minutes where the winner just collapses after crossing the finish line? Or some dude doing a 25m triple jump while rupturing every muscle in his leg upon impact? Humanoidal awesomeness and Darwinism all in one!

I just read that Selig is now considering a suspension for A-Rod because he admitted to using steroids. What the hell? How about the other hundred plus guys that tested positive? I know it's tough to defend A-Rod, but it seems pretty ridiculous he's being singled out here.

Wouldn't it be funny if Sheffield actually tested negative for steroids, that he is just naturally is an asshole with a temper problem?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I just read that Selig is now considering a suspension for A-Rod because he admitted to using steroids. What the hell? How about the other hundred plus guys that tested positive? I know it's tough to defend A-Rod, but it seems pretty ridiculous he's being singled out here.
    Selig is also now apparently saying that Rodriguez "shamed the game." Selig needn't have bothered. I'm pretty sure everyone already knew that Bud Selig is the most shameless, spineless, sleazy, ineffectual person in major league baseball. He really didn't need to confirm it.

^^^ I think that's total horseshit that Selig said that. First, there are 103 other players who should be named in this scandal- soloing out A-Rod because some douchebag leaked anynomous, sealed information to bust him is total crap. Second, I think MLB shamed the game by letting this information out...

And Selig considering a suspension? How is that possible? It wasn't illegal in baseball in 01-03. That guy is a total douche.

Edit- Damn, the AD said the same thing basically.

Selig has no right to speak of anything on the matter considering that the players were told their test results would be destroyed immediately following the survey.

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Selig has no right to speak of anything on the matter considering that the players were told their test results would be destroyed immediately following the survey.
    Selig is a POS. He's been running the league like a jackass IMO. Why did he move the Expos but not consider moving the Brewers? At the time both teams had similar attendance levels and Montreal had actually shown some promise in the near past. Same deal can be said about his idea to eliminate the Twins and the Expos over his Brew crew. Not that I think any of the teams should have gone or should go. But just more examples of how big of a douche he is.

He's not going to suspend anyone. He's an idiot. And if he is really shocked about the list of steroid abusers then he's even dumber than I thought. Guy is dirty and knew all about this long ago. He's a douche.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Selig is also an owner. That, to me, negates all further argument about the man being commish. Although, there are many.

It's like picking out one of those banking CEOs that were drilled by Barney Frank yesterday (heh), and giving him Bernakes job, and another Geitner's.

advres Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Selig is a POS. He's been running the league like a jackass IMO. Why did he move the Expos but not consider moving the Brewers? At the time both teams had similar attendance levels and Montreal had actually shown some promise in the near past. Same deal can be said about his idea to eliminate the Twins and the Expos over his Brew crew. Not that I think any of the teams should have gone or should go. But just more examples of how big of a douche he is.

He's not going to suspend anyone. He's an idiot. And if he is really shocked about the list of steroid abusers then he's even dumber than I thought. Guy is dirty and knew all about this long ago. He's a douche.
    If I'm not mistaken the Brewers couldn't move because of the Sadium deal, which locks them in Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Selig is also an owner. That, to me, negates all further argument about the man being commish. Although, there are many.

It's like picking out one of those banking CEOs that were drilled by Barney Frank yesterday (heh), and giving him Bernakes job, and another Geitner's.

Selig is not an owner unless he bought another team besides the Brewers. He sold the Brewers to Mark Attanasio after Miller Park was built. Look what happened to the Brewers after he left. They made the playoffs!