Coldsmoke Powder Fest Nelson Feb 20-22

Anyone coming from away for this? There's a nice-sized handful of Kootenay people on here... how about a hang out? I'm thinking I'll check out the movies Friday night, maybe the party Saturday. I'll probably be around WW for the weekend, might be into doing some tour guiding on-hill/backsides. Maybe some side country. I want to do some board demos, so on at least one day I will be sticking close to the hill. It all depends on the alleged snow.

Post #100. So special.

I'll be here, I believe I am one of the judges for the photo shootout (open for bribes )

Cool. What's up with the rest of yous?

Definitely putting this on my radar..interested in the event and would greatly appreciate a WW tour

So. It "looks" like there "might" be an "actual" "system" of "snow" moving in!

I am guessing I will be out of commission Saturday due to a Friday night party, but Sunday should be good.

I'll heading that way on friday, going to check out the movies, for sure. Not sure why, but going to try that race Sat morning... Demo, tour sat/sun also...

I've gone the past two years and was just whining about missing it this year... Have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    So. It "looks" like there "might" be an "actual" "system" of "snow" moving in!

I am guessing I will be out of commission Saturday due to a Friday night party, but Sunday should be good.
    Pfffft, that'd be right, snow the day I leave town.

King of the Cold Smoke... It's going to be a busy weekend.
    "FKNA man, that is some master looking carpentry skillz yo." - FreakofSnow

Yeah, we shoulda kicked your bunny ass out of town weeks ago. Who knew?

alive we could meet up at the movies. I can take you to a party after, or we can do beers in town at Mike's, or whatever. You too addict.

I was thinking about going for the Queen of the Fest, but it seems like an awful lot of work. Instead I think I will demo skis on Sunday. I wanted to try Prior's Khyber but without pow it's a bit pointless, and since I still have a new board from last year that I've been scared to take out this year due to the rocks, I really shouldn't be looking at yet another one.

Sounds perfect sparle. Going to be comming in from kelowna. Just tring to figure out who's in or out right now. Any Idea if the Villa motel is decent? The cool hostel is booked.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    Yeah, we shoulda kicked your bunny ass out of town weeks ago. Who knew?

alive we could meet up at the movies. I can take you to a party after, or we can do beers in town at Mike's, or whatever. You too addict.
    Beer sounds good. I gotta date saturday night as a result of ymirfest

Can I wear the 3 piece suit I got from the thrift store while shopping for knives and forks today?

I'll PM my # (see it only took you a couple months to get it)

Quote Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
    I've gone the past two years and was just whining about missing it this year... Have a great time!
    secoonded, I loooove Nelson. bummed I am missing this in 2009.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by powderpyg View Post
    I'll be here, I believe I am one of the judges for the photo shootout (open for bribes )

Jordan Manley will win.

Great day up on Upper Powder Keg today. Rosco and I showed those kids how it's done!

Old-School power skiing overcame New-School trickery.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Jordan Manley will win.
    Yes he did...but it was a lot closer than you obviously thought. All 5 shows were very strong & Kari Medig/Steve Ogle were only a couple of points behind in the end. We were considering a tie for second, but hashed it out and gave Medig 2nd, Ogle 3rd. Props to all 5 guys (and athletes) for putting in four hard days of work to present. As a presenter last year I know how much effort goes into putting on a show in a short time and all of you get this from me

Way better venue than the Rod & Get Gunned Up Club. They had 5 screens around the room, so there were no bad seats & it was way bigger. The Selkirk Colllege Culinary Class put out an incredible spread of food. Mitch Scott M/C'd & kept the crowd in stitches all night with his commentary. Excellent night!

Well, that was pretty good. I met alive in the funniest way. The seats at the theatre are assigned and these two guys were sitting in our seats. After giving them the boot, I borrowed my friend's phone and said I needed to call this internet friend who I'm suppossed to meet. So one of the guys leans forward and says "sparkletarte?". Classic. And it's probably good you didn't come to the party, we didn't leave it until 4:20. How did the races go?

SJP, I believe, is in contention for the King of the Kootenays, nice one!

Met shirk when I demoed some of his skis. Got to try 4. The K2 Missbehaved scared me the most, so they are the most intriguing. Must go shorter than a 69 though, at 5'4 and coming off Euro carvers that was a whole lot of ski.

Never have I seen so many tracks in the bowl. You came, you mogulled. I'm so glad it's snowing.

Yea, Good times!

That was pretty funny. Trying to figure out some way to find sparkletart and other TGR folks and I end up sitting in her seat before the movies. I actually wished I did leave early, and check out the party though. Next time, for sure... Felt so great to get out of the Okanagan and into Nelson. Such a great town, great vibe. Where to move, Nelson or Revelstoke??

Early the next morning, thought I'd try a rando race. Not sure why, thought it would be a fun way to check out some of the touring terrain around Whitewater... So pulled up to the start line just behind some guy by the name of Benedikt Boehm? Hmmm... I've seen this guy somewhere before. Oh yea, his picture is on the back of my Manaslu skis and all over the Dynafit web site. Felt a bit out of place. Anyways, I had no idea that it would hurt so much. It was great weather though, sunshine and great veiws. Finished somewhere in the middle of the pack. Benedikt won, 4500 ft in 1 hour 15 min.

Tried out few new skis Saturday afternoon. I met up with Shirk as well, and took out the Movement Flyswatters. Some more snow would have been nice, but took them on a bit of a boot pack and had a lot of fun with them. Back on the groomers, they worked fine, which was a surprise. Then tried a few from BD. The new Zelot was the highlight. Very solid.

Sadly missed the party Saturday night as well... I heard it was a great time. Again, going to do things different next year. Amazing food and drink at WW, though... Such a great hill.

Found an armchair floating around baker st. Sunday morning. Addict? Looked familiar...

The next day was planning on doing the poker run, but eyed some nice north facing snow on the backside, so ended touring there all day, then back down the bowl to the parking lot. An amazing day, considering ints been ages since theres been any fresh. While at the bottom, I was putting the skins back on when Benedikt passed by solo. Thats it, had to chase him down on the skintrack. I was red lineing it for 20 mins, but he still had a gap. Crazy euros...

Up top before the crowds

John on the way up

Can't wait until next year...

Alive,

I like your style... chasing down Euros just for the challenge of it.

Nice perspective on Ymir peak from the top of Half Dome.