Fuck you Cypress.

I just missed my run because the super supportive staff here at cypress (not the vanoc vollys, they've been amazing) towed my truck from the road. I was running 5 minutes late this morning, so I offered to pay the 10$ for pay parking to which the guy says no, park down the road at team parking. I ask him if I can unload my gear up top, since I've got a few pairs of skis and braces, boots etc. He says no. So I drive down the road and park nose in to a snow bank about 1km from the lodge. I put my gear on and carry all my skis and start walking. When I get past them he then tells me I can't park there either, to which I ask him if he wants to walk my dog then inbetween runs. I'm running late and my coach is already mad at me for stacking it yesterday in training. So I go put my boots and braces on, and a lady comes running saying that theyre towing my truck, so I run down and its already gone. I'm sitting in the athletes lounge, missing my run and trying to track it down. Now I now why everyone hates cypress

That blows...

Is the dog in the towed car?

Good luck!

I worked there one winter and they are so unorganized its not even funny. Everybody that works there seems depressed or suicidal. Maybe its cause they pay & treat their employees like shit. Seymore rules, Grouse sucks terrain wise but the employees are way better!
    Just fucking point it and shut up

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    I worked there one winter and they are so unorganized its not even funny. Everybody that works there seems depressed or suicidal. Maybe its cause they pay & treat their employees like shit. Seymore rules, Grouse sucks terrain wise but the employees are way better!
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Cypress management is also ridiculous (for the most part, patrol is an exception).

Grouse's terrain isn't bad... It's just not the biggest place in the world. Great management though.

It's a good thing VANOC decided that having all the alpine events at W/B would detract from the host city. I would hate to see what an SX course down Blackcomb would look like. Should have stayed up here and played around on the sled.

Were the ladies able to clear the features this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by KaLiStO View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    'cept the part about Seymour ruling (unless you are solely addressing the staff). The staff are great and seem to be more in touch with the BC than any other staff (due to how much is accessed from their parking lot, no doubt), but the in-bounds terrain is nothing short of pathetic.

That Cypress story is classic. I mean really, who gives a shit where anyone parks? Creative parking is part of skiing at the local hills out here. Anybody venture to a local hill during xmas break? Outrageous. They could have towed half the cars if they wanted to. For how much a lift ticket costs at these little places, you should be able to park wherever there's space and you're not impeding traffic flow etc...just common sense.
    Last edited by Johnny Sizzler; 02-05-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Nads, that sucks. Try not to let it get to you too much, and good luck.

skiwithcharlie, yeah, a friend of mine worked pro-patrol there (a million years ago - before Boyne - I think it was still called cypress bowl), and he told me some good stories. Basically, the management style is 'shit flows downhill'. It's your job to make your subordinates miserable. Late once, and your pay is docked. Late twice, don't bother coming in. He also figured that pretty much everyone there was somewhere between incompetent and retarded (except for pro-patrol and a select few volunteers).

About ten years ago I was up there with a different friend who lived in Vancouver and who knew the management personally (same family that owned Cypress Jetprop). Around noon my friend took a pretty bad fall - bad enough that we went to Lion's Gate for a shoulder x-ray. So while he's lying on the snow, and I'm hiking up to check on him, a pair of vollies ski right by, and one even sprays him a bit! When we got to the parking lot, we ran into the GM. My friend mentions that he's hurt, and we're leaving, and the GM doesn't even offer up a voucher for another day or anything! It's noon at a hill that closes at 9 pm - we've been there three hours on a day ticket. And the guys are friends (sort of... on the drive down, my buddy -who wouldn't say shit if his mouth was full of it - admitted that he always had a bad feeling about that guy, and now he knows why). Before we left I mentioned the patrollers skiing right by and rather than being apologetic he was more concerned with getting their descriptions so that he could punish them in some way.

The other thing is that West Van is not a ski town. Working at Cypress is basically an alternative to being a barista. People with any sort of drive/passion for the mountains move to Whistler or Nelson or wherever.
    Last edited by pisteoff; 02-05-2009 at 01:16 PM.

I think the worst part of it all is the parking lot where I nosed in down the road was still over half empty at 2pm when I left.

I more or less got towed from an EMPTY lot, with my dog in the truck, and missed my run and got billed out the ass for it all. And to top it off the coach is waaaay less than impressed.

Oh wow... just to add insult to injury I just got home from the ER, after rushing my dad there with full blown anaphylactic shock, he had a complete upper airway closure and his bp crashed when he vaso-dilated, probably mere minutes from going unconscious... lucky that I was here and that he's close to the hospital, he normally lives alone. No prior history of allergies... fun night, 5 hours later.

I guess when it rains it pours.

That sucks Nads. Hopefully things are brighter today.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Originally Posted by lookinback View Post
    Extended forecast for Whistler - Blackcomb.
    Sunday.. Periods of snow.
    Snowfall accumulation 5 to 10 cm.
    Freezing level 700 metres.
    Monday.. Cloudy with a few flurries.
    Snowfall accumulation 1 to 3 cm.
    Freezing level near valley bottom.
    Tuesday.. Cloudy. Snow beginning late in the day.
    Snowfall accumulation 3 cm.
    Freezing level valley bottom.

Good things will come.....
    Last edited by lookinback; 02-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lookinback View Post
    Extended forecast for Whistler - Blackcomb.
    Sunday.. Periods of snow.
    Snowfall accumulation 5 to 10 cm.
    Freezing level 700 metres.
    Monday.. Cloudy with a few flurries.
    Snowfall accumulation 1 to 3 cm.
    Freezing level near valley bottom.
    Tuesday.. Cloudy. Snow beginning late in the day.
    Snowfall accumulation 3 cm.
    Freezing level valley bottom.

Good things will come.....
    F Y P . . .

good call.... common....we need it...badly

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post

I guess when it rains it pours.
    There's always that 'happens in threes' theory.

Truck towed.
    Missed run.
    Dad to the ER.

Yer good to go now Nads, tear it up!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sounds like this kind of treatment has been more the rule than the exception at Cypress.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/W...339/story.html