Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evel Knievel

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I did too, bought mine on a rain check at Two Guys. Pretty much destroyed it jumping all kinds of shit. Soon after moved to bicycles and then dirt bikes.
    Two guys...wow a blast from the past. I learned to drive in their parking lot where exactly?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Hagerstown Md, my parents would take me there on shopping trips pretty regularly. They would cut me loose and I could spend all my time in the toy section then the sporting goods checking out guns and fishing rods.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I did too, bought mine on a rain check at Two Guys. Pretty much destroyed it jumping all kinds of shit. Soon after moved to bicycles and then dirt bikes.
    Not only did I have one of those I remember two guys. Aka four balls, naturally

Name:  96DEEFE4-A4C6-4846-83F5-636F2FA76AE0.jpeg
Views: 341
Size:  107.3 KB

Cheesis... Two Guys... 47 stores - NY, NJ, CT. I did a brief stint as a district area manager. Just after Vornado (corp) bought them and deliberately ran the company into the ground so they could liquidate the real estate.

Evel - never missed a televised event. He was a magnet for the absurd. Most memorable quality was that he always sounded authentic if not a little Barker @ the Circus sounding.

A real "showman" of his time. After vegas, his career was anti-climatic. I hoped he was going to recover his stature with the snake river jump instead of the debacle it turned in to. A really good thing that he didn't make it to the other side.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Right in the wheelhouse. Funny looking back, I bet every 2-3 houses in our area mid-70s had some sort of ramp out front. Have the george harrison movie. On VHS tape.

Then skateboards hit...
    "Can't you see..."

Couldn't get the first Knievel toy, parents settled for the snake river rocket version.. Way over hyped hahaha. I saved lawn mowing money all summer to get one of these though. This isn't the same one. I sold the original 74 bike and spend the cash on skateboard gear as part of the natural 70s tween to teen progression. Saw this on eBay a little over a year ago and it's now hanging in my shed..

I did try it out for a little bit before hanging it up.. My 175 pound ass was way too much for the thing though. Bottom out the shocks just trying to pedal it LOL!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

NICE!

I memba those.

"Do you know who the hell I am?"

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

Hard to tell from the pic, is that running a Webasto? #evelvanlife
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I had the 76(?) model. to memory the same yellow color, banna seat, but the normal peddle crank that didn't sheer of a slice of your ankle when you peddled to hard. the real studs back then had what I remember calling a mongoose with the one shock right under your crotch. Of course we replaced the bannana seat and took off the rear fender and other uncessary shit right away. Can still hear the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the knobby tires made on the pavement....

if you look close at the evil toy bike, those plastic tail pipes would limit how high the bike would wheelie, so we'd cut them closer to the bike...funny what you remember.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I had the 76(?) model. to memory the same yellow color, banna seat, but the normal peddle crank that didn't sheer of a slice of your ankle when you peddled to hard. the real studs back then had what I remember calling a mongoose with the one shock right under your crotch. Of course we replaced the bannana seat and took off the rear fender and other uncessary shit right away. Can still hear the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the knobby tires made on the pavement....
    Ya, I had the 74 with the post seat. We welded the crank pins. The one piece cranks on the 76's bent horribly when landing big jumps. My frame, and many snapped right where the down tube meets the head. Luckily the kid who lived right next to our track's dad was a really good pipe fitter and welder, worked on the Alaska Pipeline. He fixed all or our busted frames..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The jail scene has a line I never forgot
    Advance to 54 minutes

"we have Evel Knievel and Awful Knawful"

Evel, you were my favorite lunchbox.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Couldn't get the first Knievel toy, parents settled for the snake river rocket version.. Way over hyped hahaha. I saved lawn mowing money all summer to get one of these though. This isn't the same one. I sold the original 74 bike and spend the cash on skateboard gear as part of the natural 70s tween to teen progression. Saw this on eBay a little over a year ago and it's now hanging in my shed..

I did try it out for a little bit before hanging it up.. My 175 pound ass was way too much for the thing though. Bottom out the shocks just trying to pedal it LOL!
    One of the original "Fuckin A's!"

Man did I have some fun with this...

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Man did I have some fun with this...

Jesus I loved that thing. We'd launch that guy off some serious jumps and drops. 4th grade in Key west in 1974. Go outside and play. For about 14 hrs a day.

4 channels if ya counted PBS, and 3 were all Watergate.

You gots to be pretty self confident when you say " do you know who I am?"

Saw him jump over a bunch of cars at a small oval track in Upstate NY. 1971. American icon.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Ya, I had the 74 with the post seat. We welded the crank pins. The one piece cranks on the 76's bent horribly when landing big jumps. My frame, and many snapped right where the down tube meets the head. Luckily the kid who lived right next to our track's dad was a really good pipe fitter and welder, worked on the Alaska Pipeline. He fixed all or our busted frames..

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Saw him jump over a bunch of cars at a small oval track in Upstate NY. 1971. American icon.
    I wish I had seen him do his thing.
    Those Elvis type outfits (or did Elvis get the idea from him...I wonder) were so damn cool back then. Very super hero like
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Name:  96DEEFE4-A4C6-4846-83F5-636F2FA76AE0.jpeg
Views: 341
Size:  107.3 KB
    Yep.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!