Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    YESSSSS!

Thank god someone is doing tech inserts right. Of course the heel pins are useless, they're the easiest thing to break on the binding, it takes a complicated spring system to keep acceptable DIN retention, basically it only makes sense for the 100g you save, and if you want the spinning heelpiece for walk mode. If that toe actually releases consistently and is DIN 14, this is getting pretty close to being the holy grail...

those look really nice!

trab NA, your phone is ringing.....
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Looks promising, but does anyone else think there seems to be a lot of binding material for the stated weight?

Also, second JonathanS' question about how does the heel cup stay in contact when the ski un-cambers?

Quote Originally Posted by thd View Post
    Alpine heel, dynafit toe, 14 din, and 560g, very nice!
    Ditto that. They look much more promising than the G3 (or current dynafit offerings).

Looks like they're showing a testing proto, not a production proto, but I may be wrong.

Guess I'll keep riding my comforts for another season to see how this all shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Looks promising, but does anyone else think there seems to be a lot of binding material for the stated weight?
    In a word: space-age polymers.
    Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

I still like the Dynafit simplicity. I'm a little guy though so a DIN>10 is pretty meaningless for me.

The toe piece looks difficult to get into. Nothing there to guide. I'll be surprised if they can keep the weight that low with a 14 DIN and not have things breaking.

Which design will have the best elasticity/ fewest prerelease issues?
    Best brakes and crampons?

At first I thot the G3 onyx was a heavy verison of the dynafit and wouldnt have enough din but looking more carefuly I think at least the g3 base plate mounting system will be a winner

http://www.g3onyx.com/

the way I read it if you have more than one ski and many people reading this will ,you buy one onyx for 399$can (cheaper than dynafit) and base plates for each ski you own

SO if you own 6 pair of ski you could save 500$ on bindings for each ski you own if you got the onyx vs the dynafits or any other binding for that matter ... on 6 pair of skis you would save the cost of 5 bindings minus whatever the baseplates cost

the swap didnt look very hard or time consuming to me ,I could see swapping bindings pretty easily in the p-lot before skiing

it wouldnt be a stretch to imagine ordering G3 skis online with the base plate ... possibly saving on mounting costs

also the baseplates allow you to try several different back and forth positions relative to ski center which along with redueced binding costs would be s pretty important to alot of people who will be reading this

Don't know about you, but because I own a bunch of skis, I often stress and hem and haw about what skis to take in the morning dependent upon objective and current conditions. I can't imagine swapping out a binding between a bunch of skis all the time. I'd say it's a PITA!

I'd also say that the TR-1 doesn't look to weight only 560 grams. BUT, as we all know, looks can be deceiving.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

i'd say the ease of use, the safer release, and better retention would make theses a much better market success than the hassle and heavy factor to allow a G3 Onyx switchout
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Whoa, its like a light buld just went on when I see that heelpiece!

I can't believe nobody here has tried dynafit toe, mixed with a standard alpine heel. Can we make our own frankenversion using a solly heel? we just need to figure out how to do the lifter...

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I can't believe nobody here has tried dynafit toe, mixed with a standard alpine heel.
    because there'd be no lateral release?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

yeah that heel has to be a tyrolia style with lateral release otherwise it wouldn't work very well. however, if it is, that is a huge step forward in my book.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

they should be available not before winter 2010-11 (or maybe even later..). And yes, they are ubersexy, but I see 3 issues: a) they'll be expensive if they want to be at 560. b) the boot is very high from the ski, so how will they drive the ski and c) it will be tough to get the toe in (as previously said)

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    Don't know about you, but because I own a bunch of skis, I often stress and hem and haw about what skis to take in the morning dependent upon objective and current conditions. I can't imagine swapping out a binding between a bunch of skis all the time. I'd say it's a PITA!

I watched buddy do the swap in the vid on the G3 site with a few hand tools and it doesnt look too daunting to do in a P-lot ... OR you could continue to pay 500$ a shot for a permenantley mounted binding ?

AND how about that ability to move the binding back and forth on the ski for the sweet spot ....half the threads on this board are "where to mount ?"
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-03-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post

I'd also say that the TR-1 doesn't look to weight only 560 grams. BUT, as we all know, looks can be deceiving.
    I own a bunch of snowboards (5) and often can't decide which to ride, or decide to ride one in the am and another in the pm, plus one spare. My bindings have two things that get mounted. A base plate and then the top plate. For a while I had one full set, plus a spare base plate so I could swap with just 3 screws per binding. Eventually I bought a second full set so now I have two full sets and an extra base plate. I just set up the two boards that I'm most likely to ride, plus put the spare base plate on the third and I can swap things around no problem. It works great.

I could see having mounting plates for those on all your skis and either one or two sets of the bindings and using that each day. Plus it makes travel really easy.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Very interesting. Those heal pins have always seemed like the weak link in the bindings to me. I've seen two Dynafit failures in the field, a broken heal pin @ the top of the Aiguille du Midi (ice in the fitting and skier slammed it down hard, he then "tele'd" the Valle Blanche) and I broke the metal heal fitting off a Scarpa Laser while traversing out after skiing the Bloody Couloir.

They're all good bindings in theory with pros and cons. Which one will ski the best and have the fewest annoyances? Only time will tell. Get out there maggots and put them through their paces.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    because there'd be no lateral release?
    Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    yeah that heel has to be a tyrolia style with lateral release otherwise it wouldn't work very well. however, if it is, that is a huge step forward in my book.
    Duh! that slipped my mind... so, maybe a turntable heel, or what ulty_guy said.

biggest missing link to do this would have to be designing a heel lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    biggest missing link to do this would have to be designing a heel lifter.
    Not an enginer (as previously noted...) but it might go like :
    -when black heel lever is pushed against ski,the silver heelpiece retracts and allows a flat skinning position.
    -when the black lever is in 90´position the silver heelpiece leans forward and provideds the middle position.
    -when the black lever is in 120´itself provides the highest skinning position.

Or?

Or maybe I shouldnt quit my dayjob..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Not an enginer (as previously noted...) but it might go like :
    -when black heel lever is pushed against ski,the silver heelpiece retracts and allows a flat skinning position.
    -when the black lever is in 90´position the silver heelpiece leans forward and provideds the middle position.
    -when the black lever is in 120´itself provides the highest skinning position.

Or?

Or maybe I shouldnt quit my dayjob..
    I think jondrums was talking about a heel lifter if you were to be using a Solly or Tyrolia heel piece and a dynafit toe for a "franken-dynafit" binding that he's envisioning whereas I think your description is how the Trab binding actually works.

Definitely a sexy looking binding. It looks slick and futuristic, where as the G3 onyx doesn't. (A non AT friend of mine couldn't figure out which part was the toe and heel of that binding)

Looking at the pictures, the posters definitely do illustrate how it is supposed to work:

-Lateral toe release from the wings pivoting into the boot from the side, unlike the dynafit/onyx which pivot into the boot from the bottom
    -Heel releases vertically. How it changes to tour isn't quite clear. It's difficult to see behind the dude's head in the above picture.

- The black lever flips forward as a climbing risers (maybe two positions). But if you look in the second and third pictures on the poster in the following picture, you'll notice that the silver heel cup also folds down and acts as another climbing riser. It almost looks like doing that also holds down the break. Elegant design in my opinion.

I would like to get my hands on it to see how it works.
    Moving at the speed of a rampaging glacier.

i'm supposed to get a few more pictures tomorrow. hopefully they'll illustrate the climbing settings for the heel piece better.

However, you can read quite clearly that the top heel post is 17 degrees. Damn! If I remember right naxo was 12 deg, so that is quite a step up. Not sure what current dynafit (comforts) are, but it feels a bit steeper than my old naxos.

edit: Heh, now I notice that it says 16 degrees in BIG ASS LETTERS that I didn't even bother reading before.

16 or 17 degrees, still damn tall.
    Last edited by Powow; 02-03-2009 at 09:43 PM.

If you had an old look turntable for your frankenbinding, you could flip it over (pos 1, flat), turn it around 180 and flatten (pos 2, middle), flip it up while still pointing the wrong way (pos 3, high). Of course, I haven't seen or used my old Looks in over 8 yrs so I might be completely out to lunch.

Wonder what bomb-proofness on these are. It will be sweet to have a burly, yet very light dynafit style binding that people will feel comfortable dropping fairly large features in the bc.

aka...dynafit lightness, with duke bomberness.....maybe this is a step in the right direction.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.