Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Got hold of some scarpa liners for kinda cheap to replace Garmonts that i've worn holes in

Intuitions?
    Foot beds?
    Rice or Oven?

Tornado Pros came with Powerwrap Intuitions. I am not sure about the Hurricanes, but, I am installing my Powerwrap liners from my Tornado Pro's in my Typhoons tonight to see how the fit is.

This is a great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Out of curiosity...which Scarpa liner comes in Tornados/Hurricanes....obviously Typhoons have tongues, as answered above....do either Tornado (the white pros) or Hurricane....2008 and up, come with wrap liners....or if I want wrap style i'm going to have to get some on my own...makes a big difference as to whether i'll buy a brand new pair of scarpas or used. If I have to change out the new liners to a wrap liner anyway, I'm going used and saving some coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

Intuitions: I believe so. Looks like an early generation powerwrap?
    Foot Beds: I disagree with Lee on this point...Footbeds ALWAYS!
    Rice or Oven: Oven, oven, oven. I have 10 Intuition molds done in my home oven (read: Maytag) and the people I have done them for have said nothing but good things about my molds.

Search for Yooper's Intuition molding thread...Great beta there!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Intuitions?
    Foot beds?
    Rice or Oven?
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.

Anyone care to post up the "rice instructions"? Search of the webz led to nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    Intuitions: I believe so. Looks like an early generation powerwrap?
    Foot Beds: I disagree with Lee on this point...Footbeds ALWAYS!
    Rice or Oven: Oven, oven, oven. I have 10 Intuition molds done in my home oven (read: Maytag) and the people I have done them for have said nothing but good things about my molds.

Search for Yooper's Intuition molding thread...Great beta there!
    Still a bit confused, I'm wondering why do the molding and then slip the footbed back in- isn't that kind of defeating the point of this fully moldable liner?

I've got last season's 32 boots, which were the first season they used a footbed. I've also got an old pair from the season previous, which was heat molded, has no footbed, and contours very nicely to my bare foot.

Jong, I would recommend that you read Yooper's thread on molding them Intuitions.

When I mold my Intuitions, I have my footbed on, so the liner molds to your foot as well as the footbed. If you do it the right way, the fit cannot be beat!

Quote Originally Posted by ski_dude View Post
    Still a bit confused, I'm wondering why do the molding and then slip the footbed back in- isn't that kind of defeating the point of this fully moldable liner?

I've got last season's 32 boots, which were the first season they used a footbed. I've also got an old pair from the season previous, which was heat molded, has no footbed, and contours very nicely to my bare foot.

Must save the feet.

This is more of a Gfit question but since it involves my beloved Intuitions I figured I would put it in here for reference and since it does not deserve its own thread let alone this post.

So I am trying to figure out if its worth it to go through the trouble of molding my Gfit 3 liners. They are horrible as is right now so I threw my intuitions from my T1's in My Adrenalines and wow my feet are happy.

So I guess I am left with a couple options here.

1. I could swap my liners back and forth since I cant possible tele and alpine at the same time. My only concern here is the added wear and then I would be screwed in 2 boots. I saw someone else talking about doing this, swapping not being screwed.

2. I mold the Gfits, I have heard some bad reviews on these liners. This way the outside would be molded to boot though. It would also not be as stiff, which sucks.

Anybody have an opinion on this? or used a intuition that was molded to there foot but another boot?

Also I cant afford another set of intuitions at this point.
    Last edited by rludes025; 10-08-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: to clarify stiffening was a good thing.... heh
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Sorry GFits are complete utter dogshit.

On footbeds or not - do whatever makes your feet happy

Yooper\s tutorial on cooking is good IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Great thread.
    Shortcut to Yoopers thread.
    [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102575"]Tutorial: Molding Intuition Liners - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    This is more of a Gfit question but since it involves my beloved Intuitions I figured I would put it in here for reference and since it does not deserve its own thread let alone this post.

So I am trying to figure out if its worth it to go through the trouble of molding my Gfit 3 liners. They are horrible as is right now so I threw my intuitions from my T1's in My Adrenalines and wow my feet are happy.

So I guess I am left with a couple options here.

1. I could swap my liners back and forth since I cant possible tele and alpine at the same time. My only concern here is the added wear and then I would be screwed in 2 boots. I saw someone else talking about doing this, swapping not being screwed.

2. I mold the Gfits, I have heard some bad reviews on these liners. This way the outside would be molded to boot though. It would also not be as stiff, which sucks.

Anybody have an opinion on this? or used a intuition that was molded to there foot but another boot?

Also I cant afford another set of intuitions at this point.
    Cook the Gfits and see how they work. I had them in my G-rides, and they were okay, but not as good as my Intuitions in my Adrenalins. If they don't work swap your intuitions back and forth until you can afford another pair, or they wear out and you have no choice but to buy another pair.

The biggest problem I see is if the shells the the boots are very different in volume and shape it could affect the liners.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I was hoping Garmont would improve this year's Radium Gfit liners. It looks like they made something of an effort: the toebox is now an orange foamy material not unlike that which Scarpa puts into their Intuitions. They also moved the stitching out of the toe (it used to come across the top, and the toebox was stitched onto the non-thermomouldable sole...duh), so I guess the point is that the toe will heatmold properly, unlike last year's Gfits which never budged.

Well, I haven't thermo'ed them yet. But I can say that the toebox is still the same conical toe in dimension, and the orange foam is still stiff. My hopes are not high. Garmont needs to change the dimensions of the toe so the bloody liner isn't a cone. People don't have pointy triangle feet.

And ya, if you're going to do footbeds, put them in when heatmolding -- after the liners are heated, that is.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Rob, if you need to rebake, just come into ER with your footbeds.
    Drop me a line first, we'll sort it. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Was at Intuition this last week getting some Luxury liners. They had a few new styles that they are trying out including:
    - luxury liner with a thin, flat, non-foam bottom so footbeds can be used (medium density liners only)
    - luxury liner with snowboard style lace-ups, you know with the pull handle on the chord and a cinch mechanism
    - luxury liner with thinner material above the ankle for more fore/aft flex when in walk mode to be tested in touring boots

For me I think a low volume luxury liner with flat bottom for footbed use would have been the best solution (they only do it in medium volume so far) but had to resolve to using stock medium volume luxury liner without my footbeds. I'm not sold on the idea of the liner alone providing enough support underfoot. I've only used the liner one day and honestly had to take them off after every run because they we're too tight. They felt squishy under one heel and just did not feel that great/fitted around the upper. And we heated and fitted liners twice in their office.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Rob, if you need to rebake, just come into ER with your footbeds.
    Drop me a line first, we'll sort it. ;p
    Thanks KP but I ended up returning them last season. I really think footbeds are still necessary if you are looking for a performance fit because there is no way the liner alone provides enough support to the foot. Body weight alone is enough to deform the soles. And that said, I think most people in a lower volume boot (ie. any plug boot, myself trying to fit them in Garmont Shamans) are going to have a difficult time making any Intuition liner work with foot beds in because the liners are just too thick and take up too much room.

I was really hoping these would work for me, maybe I just had to endure the 3-5 day torture fest as some others have talked about before they would work, wasn't willing to do that.

IMO Intuition needs to re-think their attitude on the whole no footbed issue. Everyone in their office promotes this but I just don't see how liner alone is enough, if comfort is your only requirement, than yeah, maybe, but fit and performance, no way. I would like to see all their liners coming with a flat sole or maybe even a 3mm thickness instead of the 9 they use now so footbeds can fit. Doesn't Scarpa have liners with a flat sole in all their boots? Anway, rant over.

When I was at Intuition last Spring (2009) they had a thin sole liner for use with footbeds. I don't know if it was a prototype or an early production model or whatever. I tried the no footbed approach but I really need more support. My next step is to remould with a footbed and see how that goes.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Hey Rob, didn't realise that was an old post ;p

Yes, the Dalbello and Scarpa Intuitions have a 3mm sole. And yah, you can now get the thinner sole through Intuition, it just depends if they have it in stock.

I got myself a pair of the Scarpa Intuition liners to try out this year in my Radiums, actually, as I find they fit better. The Scarpas have the orange toebox which I find is a better fit on the toes, plastic on front and back, rubberized bottoms and a thinner sole.

And I agree on footbeds. Perhaps if you don't pronate you don't need 'em. But I certainly do need beds, otherwise my feet pronate and my ankles crush themselves into a bloody pulp against the side of what is an unforgiving plastic tube and my arches start screaming and it is pain, pain, pain. Frankly I recommend to anyone who has never toured to get footbeds. You're hauling serious weight around on skis, not to mention the weight of the boots, and your feet need something to support your arches and keep the ankles in line.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Yeah, I guess I mentioned in my original post last season that we tried fitting a flat soled Luxury liner with footbeds. They were way too tight, too thick, didn't work. I was suggesting maybe something like a flat soled PLUG liner (thinner 9mm material) may work better for low volume booters wanting to use footbeds and this is an item I believe they don't produce.

On a side note, correct me if I'm wrong, tried some Il Moros and Full Tilts the other day, and none of them are coming with footbeds, salespeople promoting the Intuition no footbed approach

Well shit ... here I am all happy that the fine folks at Intuition sent me some Luxury liners to swap out with my stock ones that came with the Typhoons, and then I read about the foot bed issue.

I use footbeds so now I don't know WTF to do ... the Luxury liners they sent definitely have a noticeably thicker sole to them when compared to the stock version.

I'm no stranger to tight boots, and actually wanted to swap because the stock liners didn't seem like they'd take up enough of the rather voluminousness box-like Typhoon shell, but the foot bed issue might take precedence.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Yo Eddy, didn't mean to freak you out, haha. If you read some of the other Intuition threads, I think many have had no issues putting footbeds in, especially if you have a volumous boot, may work out perfectly for you.

Cook them with footbeds. Most boots and intuitions do very well with footbeds, unless it is a super low volume boot. If they don't fit right, just recook them with out. They will take a few bakings without any problems.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Just got liners at the intuition HQ in Vancouver, and...

here's how it went.

I arranged an appointment by email, no trouble at all.

I showed up with BD Factors. I explained that I primarily tour in them but also ski them at the resort a fair bit, as I often ski a few laps at the hill and then go into the slackcountry for a run or two. Rob (Mister Intuition) grabbed the luxury model liner without even a conversation.

I brought my footbeds, just in case. I said I didn't care if we used them or not, whatever he thought. He said if I was used to skiing with footbeds, we should use the footbeds.

We tried a few liner sizes, with and without footbeds. It was nice to have so many options to try. He said to go with what felt best without molding. FWIW, I ended up with a size 25 'low volume' liner in my 25.5 BD shells. The 26 scrunched my toes- I guess it was kind of stuffed into the shell. The 25, though shorter, made my toes happier. The 25 low volume felt just right. (Sorry if I sound like Goldilocks.)

I put on superthin nylon socks, toe caps, and another pair of said socks. Rob cooked the liners with one of those devices that blows hot air into the liner. He pulled the liners off the gizmo one at a time, shoved the footbed into the liner, and shoved the whole thing into my boot, and then I put the boot on. Nothing complicated. He tightened the boots up a lot- more than I do when I ski them. I stood there for a few minutes and then we were done.

Rob and Crystal were both very nice, very helpful, and very amusing. It's kind of funny to see the crazy office that they run intuition out of- boxes and liners all over the place. They are getting hooked up with a lot of big ski boot companies to provide stock liners, which is cool. Rob grew up in Creston, for the interest of other Kootenay-ites.

That's it.

YoEddy, you'll be fine in most instances cooking with footbeds.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

awesome steve. I can'\t tell you how pleased Rob and Crystal are that so many people\s feet have felt the love of the Intuition liner. They're most definitely not corporate

I had multiple conversations with Rob and Crystal at Intuition this summer. They have been helpful and infinitely patient with me. In the end I couldn't pull the trigger on which liner/size to go with on my new down-sized boots. I ended up talking to the shop guy in Ketchum who does all of my fitting and does the boot work for most of our local heroes.

He's putting better skiers in the Comp model, shown below next to my Power Wrap from 2 seasons ago. As you see it's taller. It's also way thicker--fills in all those little pockets inside the shell. I was nervous to go with a thicker liner as I now have a performance shell fit, but after the baking I am stoked with the fit. Obviously haven't skied them yet.

Oh yeah, the Comp liner is supposedly "out of production". I don't know why, or if this is even true. Might be worth an email to Intuition. I paid $250 for the liners and baking.

^^ Wow, your bootfitter really punches down & out the heel. Are you jumping in them or something during the process?
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

It does look a little messed up. No jumping. He does focus on getting the heel down in there good. I stand with toes on a board during cooling.