Denver/Frisco/Copper Beta needed

This acct is an alias, I have to keep this kinda quiet but just to qualify a bit, I've been reading this board and posting a bit for a few years. I found the infamous easyrdr thread linked from here in 05 and it inspired me to do something similar; lived in my truck and drove 6000 miles in about 6 weeks, skied 15 resorts that year ranging from Kookweed to Baker to Whistler to Banff, Kicking Horse, Fernie, Jackson, PC/Alta/Snowbird, etc.. I pull a shit ton of stoke from this place..

I live in CA and have a really good friend on the east coast. I don't get to see her much, not nearly as much as I'd like. She's gonna be in Leadville, CO for a few days at the end of Feb and I really want to come see her, We've never been to CO and I haven't skied at all this year due to an illness thats been tough to shake.

She skis but it's been awhile, and we both really wanna go hit Vail or somewhere for a day - if I get one fucking day on skis this year, I think this is my chance and if I spend the whole day just cruising groomers with this woman, I'll be a really happy guy. This is kinda contingent on us not blowing all of our money on lodging. Neither one of us has a ton of money atm, and mostly we just wanna see each other.

So I thought I'd post up and see if anyone can advise as to cheapish lodging, cabins, a room somewhere and maybe where to get packages or deals on lift tickets for Vail or Breckenridge - I'm checking CL too.

At this point it's looking like we'll be bumming around somewhere between Evergreen and Leadville from the 22-25/6 of Feb, I know those towns are a ways apart, but that's what we're looking at now.

ANY advice appreciated. We're late 20s/30s, totally mellow, and just wanna kick it for a few days, see CO and have some fun..
    Last edited by WideOpenSky; 02-18-2009 at 11:01 PM.

You can probably score some cheap tickets to ski cooper through liftopia, which would suit your goal much more affordably than Vail, and it's closer to pb. As for lodging, if you don't mind dormitory accommodations with lots of visiting argies, the Turntable in Minturn is the absolute cheapest in the valley. Turntable Motel Reservations (970) 827-4268.

Have fun.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You can probably score some cheap tickets to ski cooper through liftopia, which would suit your goal much more affordably than Vail, and it's closer to pb. As for lodging, if you don't mind dormitory accommodations with lots of visiting argies, the Turntable in Minturn is the absolute cheapest in the valley. Turntable Motel Reservations (970) 827-4268.

Have fun.
    Not sure what PB is? Is that transit??

I'll check out liftopia, last time I was there the site was in it's infancy but seemed like a good idea.

Can't do the dorm thing, we need privacy - there's no guarantee we'll ever get out of the room.. I'll check out Turntable though anyway, thanks.

We don't need a chalet or anything special, just relatively quiet and private, we could do the Motel 6 or whatever if it came down to it, but I figured this late in the season, someone might know of deals on a small cabin or something a little nicer somewhere..

Just a warning.... the Turntable Inn is a complete dump. While you'll have your own room, the walls are paper thin, the rooms are TINY (think 8x8 or so), and the place is a shithole. Spend an extra $30 and at least get a hotel room. There's plenty of places in Eagle or Summit County that are much better for around $80-100.

Quote Originally Posted by WideOpenSky View Post
    there's no guarantee we'll ever get out of the room..
    (this is "The Friend" posting, and I really have nothing important to add)

yeah- we might be getting ahead of ourselves here, with all the ski talk...
    and outdoor jacuzzis with lots of privacy are definitely a plus

thanks for any help ya'll can give!

Wherever you two little lovebirds decide to stay make sure to set up some webcams with livestreaming.

^^Shush You!! We'll go poach a tub if we need to, a room is a room

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Just a warning.... the Turntable Inn is a complete dump. While you'll have your own room, the walls are paper thin, the rooms are TINY (think 8x8 or so), and the place is a shithole. Spend an extra $30 and at least get a hotel room. There's plenty of places in Eagle or Summit County that are much better for around $80-100.
    Aight, Turntable is a last resort - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Wherever you two little lovebirds decide to stay make sure to set up some webcams with livestreaming.
    Hook us up with a Chalet and a tub and ya might have a deal

Have you tried www.vrbo.com? With the economy what it is, you might be able to work out a deal with somebody you find on that site...
    The Sheriff is near!

take a look at vailonsaleyou might be able to score something there. Usually it is higher end lodging with a lower price tag, which may or may not be in your range. However, I have heard of people scoring great deals from here.
    Skiing Sucks! What a stupid sport!

Not sure what PB is? Is that transit??
    Pb=Lead=Leadville
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Have you tried www.vrbo.com? With the economy what it is, you might be able to work out a deal with somebody you find on that site...
    Right on, thanks! I'm not as internet savvy as my other half here, but looks good so far... though the prices seem a little lower than I expected, the places look nice.

It's hard to tell with photos, and this area is completely unfamiliar to me:

http://www.vrbo.com/222656

-The "Friend"

Hook us up with a Chalet and a tub and ya might have a deal
    I see you've taken up pimping as a side job? Be careful honey, don't overpromise, I'd hate to disappoint anyone heh...

-The "Friend"

I didn't promise shit and you were warned, chicky

Good leads so far, thanks a ton..

Right on, thanks! I'm not as internet savvy as my other half here, but looks good so far... though the prices seem a little lower than I expected, the places look nice.

It's hard to tell with photos, and this area is completely unfamiliar to me:

http://www.vrbo.com/222656

-The "Friend"
    Evergreen is just outside of Denver...not exactly the heart of "ski country" but it doesn't sound like skiing is the priority here.
    The Sheriff is near!

This acct is an alias, I have to keep this kinda quiet
    Why is that?

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinCO View Post
    Why is that?
    Somebody's creeping
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Evergreen is just outside of Denver...not exactly the heart of "ski country" but it doesn't sound like skiing is the priority here.
    I say Evergreen 'cause I have some family there at the moment, but not sure if they can help. Still trying to sort this out.. She has a friend in Leadville, neither one of us knows the area nor proximity to resorts at all though..

Isn't Evergreen within 1-1.5 hours of Vail?

Quote Originally Posted by LivinCO View Post
    Why is that?
    Sorry bro, If I told you, we'd have to kill you and I HATE it when it comes to that..

Edit: Someone just mentioned Frisco as a reasonable and cheaper alternative to Vail, any beta on cabins or the scene there?
    Last edited by WideOpenSky; 01-28-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Bump for Frisco. Seems like a good place to spend 2-3 days? Shuttle service to the lifts and a little cheaper than Vail? If anyone can recommend any lodging there, we'd be obliged..

Also shuttle service from DIA to Frisco, I know there are shuttles that run but again, any inside beta appreciated.. Also if there's a shop in Frisco that gives maggot deals on Bro demos, I'd be stoked - I hate flying with (checking) my skis, especially since I'll probably only use them once just for mostly fucking around on the groomers or in the park..

Demo'd some stiff 183s last year at Kirkwood, they kicked ass, I'd love to try something longer or with some rocker if there's any fresh..

Thanks.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Avoid the Frisco Lodge, it is a dump. If you take the CME shuttle to Frisco, get dropped off at the Frisco xfer center aka summit county point to point. You can save $ and take the bus or get picked up from there to your lodging.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Bump.

This trip is falling apart. We've both had a rough month, and at the moment we're fucked financially.

I posted some gear for sale, none of which I want to sell, but will:
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151662

Calling around now, but if it comes down to it and we need to just get a room in Denver, any recommendations on cheapish places and not too much sleeze factor?

Also, how hard is it to get from the airport through Denver to the Summit County transit system?? I'm researching this but inside info/experience is always good..

Thanks for anything ya got..