Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vancouver Island Info?

The girlfriend and I are possibly moving to Victoria next fall and I want to get a sense of what it is like to ski and live on the island. Found some information by searching here and the internet, but I just want some broad opinions by people who have some experience. So...

(1) Opinions on Mt. Washington (especially the drive from Victoria)?
    (2) Opinions on Mt. Cain?
    (3) Touring options (I want to pick up the book on the subject by Phillip Stone)?
    (4) Ease of travel to mainland spots (in both Canada and the US)?
    (5) Any other things a dude should know?

The move is still a ways away, but I'm just stoked to be getting out of Onterrible.

Later.

You could PM vanisle. Here's at least one TR of his from the island.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=102135

I don't live on Vancouver, but I can see it from here.

Victoria rocks. It would definitely be in my sights for a place to retire to, if access to skiing were better. The upsides - best climate in the region (rainshadow), good cultural opportunities, killer rainforests, biking, kayaking, sailing.

The downside is you're looking at a 3+ hour drive to the nearest ski area.

The ferries run to the mainland on a regular basis, but they're fairly expensive, and it's a 5 run to Baker or Whistler. You can walk on and get into Van city pretty easily. We make the reverse route fairly often, park at Tsawwassen and take the ferry to Swartz Bay, then hop a bus into Vic.
    Living vicariously through myself.

I'm closer but I can't see it. only the lights at night
    It may be cheaper easier and cheaper (though it wouldn't be a day trip) to take the Washington state ferries from Sidneyto Anacortes but they don't run in the winter. BC ferries are expensive but they are much nicer than ours
    The weather is great here, no rain but it's not cold enough for snow so I don't think the mountains on Vancouver get great snow, but I do see snow on Mt. Washington all the time (I've never been there though they could have great snow).

I've been living in Victoria for 7 years now. When I first arrived on the island I had no idea what the winter scene was like and in the past few years I've discovered how great the winter months here can be. There are a few folks from the Island that post on TGR and I've had the fortune of meeting a few - one thing about the ski scene on the island is that people who are into it are passionate and are stoked on island winters.

(1) Opinions on Mt. Washington (especially the drive from Victoria)?

Mt Washington has a lot of options. The inbounds terrain is decent, especially when the 'Outback' is open. There is some very good slackcountry, however one needs to know the area to explore a bit. That said, this knowledge can get you fresh turns a week after snowfall. As you seem to know, the drive is not great, especially for a day trip. An average day will take you 2.5h from Victoria to the parking lot. Good roads and a heavy foot can get you there in around 2h. However if freezing levels are low and snow has hit the highway, it can take 3h+, especially if you arrive at the Mt Wash road after 8am and have to wait while all the idiots in 2wd have to chain-up in the middle of the road. I've got in the habit of trying to swing at least two days in a row up island which makes the drive less of a factor. If you leave early enough from Victoria, you’ll avoid most of the traffic on the way up and it’s not too bad. Daytrips are certainly doable but you’ll be exhausted by the end and a good winter vehicle is a necessity

(2) Opinions on Mt. Cain?

Shhhhh. There are a few TRs on here - here's one that will give you an idea of the terrain at Mt. Cain. (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=110756).
    The drive from Victoria to the lodge is 4h – not a day trip option but you can stay in the 2nd floor of the lodge which is a hostel of sorts, camp in the car as many people do or if you’re lucky, you’ll befriend a chalet owner on the hill.

(3) Touring options (I want to pick up the book on the subject by Phillip Stone)?

Phillips book “Island Turns & Tours” will give you an idea of the options for touring on the island. I’ve only scratched the surface myself but there are a ton of options. Access is often difficult (logging roads) but if you’re willing to put in the time, the rewards can be very great. There are some decent touring options within 2h of Victoria and can be closer if we get the odd rogue storm (I saw a Saltspring Isl. TR over Xmas!)

(4) Ease of travel to mainland spots (in both Canada and the US)?

It’s nice to think that you’re only a ferry away from the mainland but in reality it’s a pain in the ass. The longer I’m here, the less I feel the need to get off the island. As Grrr mentioned, it’s a 5h roundtrip to Whistler/Baker if road conditions are good and aren't really day trips. That said, there are a number of ferries that can take you to some cool spots. BC Ferries is 2h to Vancouver, the Coho is 1h to Port Angeles (Olympic Penninsula), the Clipper gets you to downtown Seattle in 2h and there are a ton of day trips you can make to the smaller islands (Saltspring/Pender/San Juan ect.) which are always fun.

Victoria is a great city with a load of activities at your fingertip. On a given day midwinter, you have the choice to golf, surf, ski, dive, fish ect. ect when you wake up in the morning and even more in the summer. As far as I know, you don’t quite have those options in Ontario mid-February If skiing is you’re only passion, Victoria will likely leave you desiring to be a bit further North - I've toyed with the idea myself but am staying put for now. That said, I’ve managed to get some great skiing in while living in Victoria and the season can start in November and stretch well into June/July if you're feeling adventurous (plus access gets much better in the spring as the access roads open) – it just takes a little extra planning and time. As others have mentioned, its not as rainy in Victoria as most other spots in the PNW and we actually get a fair bit of sun in the winter months.

Feel free to PM me if you’ve got any questions/concerns as you plan the move.
    Last edited by skadams.ca; 01-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    It may be cheaper easier and cheaper (though it wouldn't be a day trip) to take the Washington state ferries from Sidneyto Anacortes but they don't run in the winter.
    The downside to the WA ferry is that it runs only once or twice daily. On top of that, it's very likely it will be permanently canceled after this summer season. That is plan B in the draft WSF plan.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Thanks for the info!

Its kind of what I expected. Not the best local for skiing in BC, but with a little bit of ingenuity and motivation a guy should be able to get in a respectable amount of days, with a good portion of those days being stellar.

Plus, by the sounds of it I now have an excuse to buy a 4x4.

Plus plus, it seems like a nice place to live with lots of fun stuff to do.

Oh yah...skadams you will probably hear from me.

i live in vic too, but uhh.. skadams covered everything haha.. my only complaints are distance from skiing and not a lot of good mountain biking spots (compared to every other city in BC)
    Last edited by kevin267; 01-27-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Skadams has pretty well covered everything,just like to add if you mountain bike the scene on the island is off the hook,not sure about Vic but as you get up Island theres a ton of great riding.Duncan has some top notch shuttles just a short drive north of Vic.
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    i live in vic too, but uhh.. skadams covered everything haha.. my only complaints are distance from skiing and not a lot of good mountain biking spots (compared to every other city in BC)
    WTF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vanisle View Post
    Skadams has pretty well covered everything,just like to add if you mountain bike the scene on the island is off the hook,not sure about Vic but as you get up Island theres a ton of great riding.Duncan has some top notch shuttles just a short drive north of Vic.
    ^^

<it is a pain in the ass to visit the island>
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    WTF!!!!

^^

<it is a pain in the ass to visit the island>
    victoria itself is lacking, hartlands the only real official place then theres sooke and couple other spots, nothing compared to other places in BC like i said :P

Most of the important points have been made, but just to add my $0.02...

The day trip to Mt. Washington isn't bad at all once you've made the drive a couple of times. I'm usually barely awake until I make the turn off the highway anyway.

Staying up there can be a ton of fun, and can also be a royal pain in the ass. If the condo you're renting doesn't specify drive-in drive out, stay away.

I love living here, but getting on/off this rock can become exceedingly tiresome. Lost count of the number of times I've been sitting in the airport in Vancouver, waiting 2 hours for the 15 minute flight to Victoria, thinking "if I lived in Vancouver I'd be home by now". All that said, you really don't have to leave the Island very often.

There is some very good golf here, if you're into that.

Do you have a job lined up? Still lots of work here (last I heard Victoria had the lowest unemployment rate in the country) although things are starting to tighten up a bit.

Finally, as a person who left Ontario 9 years ago and has never looked back, just do it. You'll find out pretty quick if you're an Island type or not, and even if you're not there are plenty of decent options in the rest of the province.

Skadams has you covered, but feel free to PM me as well if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    There are several excellent breweries in Victoria and it is home to The Great Canadian Beer Festival in September.

I think its really covered well and there is a great riding on that island and there are some shuttles on a norh of VLC..

I am trying so hard to get posted to Comox. 5 more years, then I call the shots...
    Jak and Jil skinned up the hill to rip some epic lines...
    Jak cruised down throwing a huge mute 3...
    Followed by Jil with a 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

The move is still a ways away, but I'm just stoked to be getting out of Onterrible.

Later.
    Victoria women => hot

Living in James Bay is really nice and lets you get around without a car and you can walk your windsurfing gear to launch spots but it adds 0.5 hours to your time to get up-island to mountains

The watersports community is awesome, surfing - windsurfing - kiting - kayaking. It's got it all.

Bike - commuting in Victoria is about as good as it gets in Canada. Thanks to my friend Steve for championing bike commuting facilities

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Victoria women => hot
    This man speaks the truth - there are a disproportionate number of hot women. It is a very, very good thing. Hope you're coming out here on your own

Quote Originally Posted by skadams.ca View Post
    This man speaks the truth - there are a disproportionate number of hot women. It is a very, very good thing. Hope you're coming out here on your own
    Hehehe, but I'll be coming out there with my girlfriend and I only have eyes for her.

But I digress...

...thanks again for the all the info and insights. Its really good to hear so much positivity as it will be a big change for us. We're both just finishing our MAs and the plan has always been to move to BC. We thought about a bunch of places, but ultimately Victoria or Vancouver were the best choices to be able to find work that our 'education' would help us obtain. Victoria was chosen pretty quickly mainly because of the possibility of government work and we're both not the 'big' city type.

Two years in Onterrible is about all I can take. I'm so excited about moving back out west.

Thanks again everyone.

Well I think just about everything has been covered... but I will add that I grew up on the Island (Campbell River) and not a day goes by when I don't wish I wasn't back there. I'm in Vancouver now.

hey first post, thought i'd chime in and 2nd what these guys are saying. i live in ucluelet, on the west coast of the island, and the drive to the resorts can be a pain, but not a deal breaker. that said, there are alot of bc options way closer, ya just gotta be creative/stubborn with the access issues. the alpine terrain can be fairly gnar, just not on the same scale as some of the mainland ranges. usually lots of snow (not this year), generally stable snowpack (again...), just not super dry stuff for the most part. i grew up in ontario, have lived here for 6 years, so i'll help ya if i can.

Do you kayak? therangelife.com pretty much kills the exploratory class V scene up there. Looks goooooooooooood.

Good Beta in this thread!

I'm in Victoria this year for school. Taking the ferry over to the Olympics to do some recon this weekend looks like some good options especially into the spring.

Any Mags looking for a touring partner, carpool to Washington let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Victoria women => hot
    hot and many.

it's the answer to all those times when you were in a ski town with 5 dudes and a girl and thought "where is the opposite of this"....

and let's not forget surfing. You can surf, and it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfreerider View Post
    Any Mags looking for a touring partner, carpool to Washington let me know.
    PM sent.

when you get to all the red lights in nanaimo, just blow through them as they're for locals only
    holy fucking shitballs