Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I thought Ben's "life flashing before his eyes" in the smoke monster was a little cheesy.
    Yeah, that was some Raiders of the Lost Ark bullshit.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

yeh, ben could have crawled ontop of a giant flying dog at that point. Probably the worst CG I've seen on the show.

I would love to get some of the weed that these writers are smoking.

"dude, ben should open like a secret door that goes into a secret tunnel. Then like... pull a plug on some kinda ancient drain. yeaaaahhhh."

So what's the deal with the island and all the power hungry people? It seems like half the people who end up there think everyone else should bow down to their authority. Last night we had new additions in Caeser and Ilana or whatever her name is.

I'm thinking that Ilana knew about the island beforehand and that's why she "arrested" Sayid. She was just pretending to be a bounty hunter.

doughboyshredder Guest
    So what's the deal with the island and all the power hungry people? It seems like half the people who end up there think everyone else should bow down to their authority. Last night we had new additions in Caeser and Ilana or whatever her name is.
    Put any group of people in a stressful situation and there will be those that immediately take charge, and those that wait for someone else to take charge. This is human nature, and has nothing to do with the island, other than that it seems the island enhances a persons true nature.

^^^
    Remember that the island also chooses the people who come to it, at least to some extent. So maybe it draws that type of people.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Put any group of people in a stressful situation and there will be those that immediately take charge, and those that wait for someone else to take charge.
    So do these stressful situations also cause people to shoot first and ask questions later? Lots of hair triggers on that island, too!

I agree that there are people who naturally take charge in situations, but they usually don't announce "OK, everyone, I'm in charge here..."
    Last edited by The AD; 04-09-2009 at 10:31 PM.

We're probably going to find out that Ilana or whatever her name is has a secret agenda and already knows about the island and is part of the coming "war" that was alluded to a few episodes ago. ONce Cesar was offed by Ben she was free to take charge. The password thing she quizzed the Lipidus with was her way of finding out whether or not he was in on the scheme.

And yeah, those were some pretty bad special effects. I'm surprised they made it so literal. They could have just shown Ben standing there digesting something really meaningful and it would have been more mysterious.
    Last edited by Schmear; 04-10-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear View Post
    And yeah, those were some pretty bad special effects. I'm surprised they made it so literal.
    yea, sorta ruined the episode. We get an immense 5 season long buildup of the mysterious smoke monster and this is what we get? It comes out for 10 minutes to tell Ben that he shouldn't try to kill Locke.... again? You'd think that he would stop after the second attempt.
    Don't take any guff from these swine.

Any thoughts on Seth Rogen's body double (think his name is Bram) and the people in the van that kidnap Miles? Obviously not Widmore's people nor associates of Ben since none of the "what lies in the shadow of the statue" people recognized him after the flight 316 crash. Perhaps neo-Dharma people? Or people working for Ms. Hawking since it seems coincidental for them to be on a flight destined to crash on the island?

Thought the Miles-Hurley exchange was excellent and a much-needed comedic relief from brain overflow. And we now know Faraday didn't die as referenced by Sawyer's "he's gone" comment, but rather he was simply off the island with running experiments.

EDIT - I really think Bram (the lanky Seth Rogen lookalike who is also the same guy in the van that captured Miles) and possibly Illana are working for neo-Dharma through Ms. Hawking. She was the only one that knew which exact plane to fly on in order to reach the island. As of 2007, Dharma was still dropping packages on the island, and after Locke spun the wheel the final time, neo-Dharma would have no clue where the island is located. So they needed Ms. Hawking's help to find out how to return. It is quite clear that Bram had no idea who Ben was so he (and the people in the van) aren't working for him (they could be pretending not to know each other, but I don't think it's likely), and it was made clear that they are working against Widmore. That really only leaves us with a limited choice as to who they would be associated with. And this late in the game (season 6 being the final season), I can't see the writers introducing another group of distinct people completely new to the show.

Going further, in a previous episode, it was hinted in dialogue by the others that "Charlie and Ellie" had leadership roles. We ultimately know that Widmore was banned from the island, and perhaps Ms. Hawking received similar fate. Or perhaps there was a split in their ideologies and she eventually joined forces with Dharma.

Unrelated, in season 3 we see Amy (Ethan's mother) talking to Juliet. I forget what the conversation is about, but she's present. We also know that Ethan (original born in Dharmaville) eventually becomes a member of the Others. Perhaps, Amy was sent by the Others to infiltrate Dharma, and help exterminate them.
    Last edited by NPG; 04-17-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post

Thought the Miles-Hurley exchange was excellent and a much-needed comedic relief from brain overflow. And we now know Faraday didn't die as referenced by Sawyer's "he's gone" comment, but rather he was simply off the island with running experiments

Glad to see Faraday back. I think that he is going answer most of the questions about time travel and what they can and can't do. Like when they leave the island is it 2007 or 1973? I still think that the war is going to break out between the Dharma and the Others and just when shit hits the fan Locke is going to flip the switch sending them back through time to the present. Then they are going to have to deal with the new arrivals leading to season six.

Another thing I just remembered back in season one or two Sawyer was sitting on the beach reading A Wrinkle in Time.

When did VHS recorders become available? Miles pulled a VHS tape out of the security system in 1977. I thought VHS wasn't around until about 1980?

June, 1977 is when VHS arrived in America (September, 1976 for the Asian market).

We finally got the question definitively answered about whether someone could exist in the same time twice. Miles and baby Miles are both on the island in 1977.

But will the time spectrum warp & implode when Miles holds baby Miles? Cause you know it's going to happen at some point.

It will when he changes baby Miles' diaper, as Hurley suggested he do.

This season has been really good. The time travel stuff was a little bunky at first but I'm glad we get to see the stations being built and all the other Dharma stuff. I'm also glad they're exploring Miles' character a little more; it always seemed like he knew more than he was letting on.

Just finished season 1 and on 2 now. Man do you pick up a lot, like the copyright date on the Swan Orientation video. Its dated 1980 and Dr. Chang hasn't lost his arm yet. From this we also know the incident has already occurred, but the Purge has not.

And when Jack and Sayid are investigating the source of the electro-magneticism in the Swan, Sayid comments that the last time he saw such a concrete setup was Chernobyl. Could mean that the Swan was built around the hydrogen bomb we saw earlier.
    Last edited by NPG; 04-17-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Loved the look in Juliet's eyes when her man Sawyer punched the Dharma dude.
    She was totally digging that...

NPG-one more time why Bram is not Ben's agent?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

(1) The van people refused Miles' $3.2MM offer and instead suggested "enlightenment" as payment for his services. If Ben was so protective of keeping Miles from Widmore, I think some monetary reward would be included.

(2) When Miles meets Ben in Season 4 and asks for $3.2 MM to tell Miles' employer that Ben is dead, Ben replies: "Why 3.2, why not 3.3 or 3.4?" This suggests that Ben has no idea about the meeting between Miles and the van people.

Good discussion here:
    http://forum.lostpedia.com/why-every...am-t34036.html

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    And when Jack and Sayid are investigating the source of the electro-magneticism in the Swan, Sayid comments that the last time he saw such a concrete setup was Chernobyl. Could mean that the Swan was built around the hydrogen bomb we saw earlier.
    Interesting seeing this finally play out.

Aside from Eliose shooting Faraday at the end, I thought this episode was a dud. A lot of info was revealed, but most of it was known with the exception of pre-freighter Faraday being a bumbling mess. Saving grace was Eliose putting a bullet into her son's chest while stirring up the mindfuck brain soup that soon followed. Now it's up to Jack and a bunch of non-physicists to carry out his master plan. Wonder if Miles or someone else convinces Dr. Chang to reconsider and adopt Faraday's initial plan in getting everyone off the island. And it's too bad Locke is not around to remind us that the island chooses everyone's destiny. Or perhaps the finale will feature yet another Jack vs. Locke showdown.

Lots of good stuff here:
    http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....wtopic=3185090

EDIT - maybe the episode wasnt a total dud when you consider Widmore's reference to Faraday while talking to Eliose outside the hospital: "He was my son, too."
    Last edited by NPG; 04-30-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Why in the hell would Faraday barge into the Hostiles camp pointing a gun? I felt like he was going to get shot from the first second. Doesn't it seem like walking in unarmed and asking for Eloise would have been a better approach?

And you'd think his mom would have been nicer to him considering she knew all these years she was going to shoot him.

Two bits the incident at the Swan will cause the Losties to get flashed back to the present time.

Yeah, that was pretty dumb on Faraday's part. It's almost like he was trying to get himself killed. Everything leading up to him charging into the Hostiles' camp just seemed far away from normal behavior.

Eliose is starting to remind me of the Architect from the Matrix. All the events we are now watching have probably occurred many times before, and perhaps there is a set plan that cannot be changed. A set plan that cannot have Eliose be anything be a distant mother that drives her son towards solitude his whole life.

As we heard, Widmore apparently knew the fate of Faraday in 2007 just before the O6 departed on flight 316 to return to the island - he knew he was going to die. I have a feeling we'll be left with a cliffhanger after this season's finale only to see the beginning of season 6 set several years into the future beyond 2007. I'm wondering if we get a glimpse of an un-altered future in which Eliose and Widmore have regrets about what they did back in 1977 and in 2004.

Faraday kept saying you can't change the past, you can't change the past. Then he goes an tries to change the past, only to secure it to actually happen. I doubt Jack & company are going to successfully detonate the nuke.

Also, I can't see Kate lining up to reset the island so she can go to prison in 2004 (or whenever flight 815 existed).

I'm still wondering where the hell all the other people are like Bernard and Rose. Presumably they've been on the island in the '70s for three years just like Sawyer, et al. Wouldn't you think the Dharma folks or the Others would have run into them by now? Hopefully they clear this up sometime before this season wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin
    Also, I can't see Kate lining up to reset the island so she can go to prison in 2004 (or whenever flight 815 existed).
    Yeah, but lots of people did die in the 815 crash and subsequently. Maybe she'd show some altruism and put the lives of the many over her desire to stay out of jail.

eidt: I just thought of something that seems like a twist the writers would do. Did we ever get a full view of Eloise when she shot Daniel last night? I wouldn't be surprised if she's actually pregnant with him when she shot him! I would think he's older than 30 now, and should already be living on the island in 1977, but the show seems to play pretty loose with the character's ages (see Charlotte, for example).
    Last edited by The AD; 04-30-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Should that happen,

Huley would still be cursed
    Sawyer would be on the run for killing a guy
    Sun and Jin's marriage would be a mess & w/o being able to procreate
    Locke would be paralyzed
    Charlie would be a druggie
    Jack would still be living in the shadows of his ex-wife
    Rose would die from cancer
    Ben would ultimately die from a tumor
    Desmond would never be reunited with Penny

I doubt the show will continue with Flight 815 landing safely in LA. I like AD's take that something will happen which will send 1977 people back to 2007 (or whenever flight 316 survivors are).