Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Lost Season Five

So, who watched the premiere?

I did......
    So the island is a giant TARDIS? great

advres Guest
    I did. I'm excited for a new season.

I did, but can't say I was real excited about last night's episodes. It was OK, but nothing really interesting.

So who were the guys who threatened to cut off Juliet's hands? I didn't see any Dharma insignia on their uniforms. Were they pre-Dharma, perhaps?

time travel = lame. though honestly as much suspense as they built up as to what was actually going on, any kind of answer would've been a let-down.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

yea, true that with the suspense build up. I wouldn't be suprised by the end we find this whole thing is a figment of crazy Hurley's mind. They guy has a hard time living in "reality".

Thought the premiere was great and feel that this will be the best season in a while. Lots of possibilities floating around. Seems Richard is like Jesus or perhaps the grandfather of the island in some way. He can time travel infinitely (or so it appears right now) and he never ages. Although he said he will not recognize Locke the next time they meet.

Old lady with the blonde hair at the end was the same women that told Desmond not to buy Penny the wedding ring and instead enlist in the army. Will have to rewatch this episode again.

My take on the people that encounter Juliet and Sawyer are that they are The Hostiles. They showed very little empathy and patience during the situation. If this is the case, everyone on the island during the transformation has gone back to no later than 1992.

Back to Richard, my friend has a theory that he arrived to the island in the late 1800's with the Black Rock. Think back to when a very young Ben met him near the security fence on the island. His clothes had a rather old nature to them. The theory goes that Richard and Widmore were both on the ship at the time when the island appeared beneath them (how else would the ship reach the middle of the island?). And why else would Widmore be trying so hard to find the island again and protect it at the same time? He certainly knows about it very well and even paid top dollar for a recovered jornal from the ship.

Also, I think the people that show up to Kate's door and confront her about the DNA test are associates of Widmore or Ben. Whoever it is, he wants Kate to return to the island. The threat from the two guys that showed up to her house is probably a ploy to force Kate to run away again. It would provide her with a greater reason to return to the island with the Oceanic Six and bring Aaron back to his mother.

Regardless, it's been said by the creators that everything that happens on the show could be proven scientifically. After the whole magic trick at the end of season 4, I was ready to dismiss it all, but have since got sunk back into it.
    Last edited by NPG; 01-22-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Can someone explain why the urgency for the 6 to go back to the island? Other than some emotional issues, I don't see any reason. There is no obvious time continuum rift happening.

And yet another question:

What happens when time-traveling Locke comes in contact with his dead body from the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    There is no obvious time continuum rift happening.
    You sure about that? Didn't the woman tell Ben they only had 70 hours? Perhaps this is the time window where the island will be back in "real" time. I'm guessing this is when they'd have to return so as to not upset the time continuum as suggested by Daniel. This might be the only time the island will allow them--so to speak--to come back.

another theory to NPG's on who sawyer and juliet ran into... those guys could possibly be with Widmore, seemed to have british accents, and it seems that widmore has been on the island before. he does refer to it as his island, and so do the british soldiers(?)

another question what about seeing faraday in the basement of the orchid while it was being built at the beginning of the ep? more time travel?

this season is looking like its going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You sure about that? Didn't the woman tell Ben they only had 70 hours? Perhaps this is the time window where the island will be back in "real" time. I'm guessing this is when they'd have to return so as to not upset the time continuum as suggested by Daniel. This might be the only time the island will allow them--so to speak--to come back.
    I'm having a problem with that. The 6 left the island 3 years ago. But now it's 70hrs from doomsday? Other than Ben, dead Locke, and Jack, none of the other 6 really feel a need to go back. Even Hurley who is seeing dead people doesn't want to go back.

I don't know about "70 hours from doomsday," but perhaps 70 hours until their window to return to the island closes until who knows how long.

the oceanic 6 have been gone for 3 years, but since im no expert on time travel, who knows how long its been for the people on the island skipping through time, seeing as they arent exactly following time linearly any more.

The Rainbow Drive is is the shit...
    Eat there if you are ever in Honalulu.

Rewatching now and picked up a few things:

(1) Miles (Asian dude that's with Faraday and Charlotte) said that it took Widmore 20 years to find the island the first time.

(2) Richard didn't time travel with Locke and with everyone else after pulling out his bullet. It seems he can choose when he wants to travel in time.

(3) Remember when Locke time-traveled JUST as Ethan was ready to pull the trigger? It seemed rather convenient for him to have this happen at such an appropriate time. Or if you recall Faraday, "If it didn't happen in the past, then it won't happen now." So maybe the island shifts through time when new significant occurrences are about to happen in the past to any and all time-travelers.

(4) The group of people that encounter Sawyer and Juliet said, "What are you doing on OUR island." Could be Hostiles or Widmore's people (note the one guy's accent).

(5) Jin is listed in the credits (though it could be for flashback purposes only or maybe he's still alive).
    Last edited by NPG; 01-23-2009 at 08:52 AM.

NPG,
    The theory of Widmore coming from the Black Rock was debunked last night.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    (3) Remember when Locke time-traveled JUST as Ethan was ready to pull the trigger? It seemed rather convenient for him to have this happen at such an appropriate time. Or if you recall Faraday, "If it didn't happen in the past, then it won't happen now." So maybe the island shifts through time when new significant occurrences are about to happen in the past to any and all time-travelers.
    This could actually be spot on. They did time-travel just as Locke was asking Richard how to get off the island while in the 50's.

yeah but if it didnt happen in the past, how did ethan actually shoot locke? and how come faraday could talk with desmond while he was still in the hatch? is desmond somehow now uninhibited by the rules of time travel because hes all ready done it?

anyone else see a showdown developing between desmond, penny and ben coming up when theyre all in LA together? Could the old woman telling ben he only had 70 hours left to get back to the island be Faraday's mother?

Im curious to hear what NPG got out of the latest ep

The writers have some heavy lifting to do with this show.

I have no idea where this stands in the big picture, but Locke tells Richard to visit him. He does this in an earlier season under the guise of recruiting "gifted students." So it appears that the show has different time continuums mixing.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Anyone else think it's pretty suspicious that Widmore acted like he was just going to leave Desmond alone? If Widmore has spent millions trying to find the island it seems unlikely he'd let a great lead like Desmond just walk away. Since Desmond was asking about Faraday's mother Widmore's gotta think it has something to do with the island.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Anyone else think it's pretty suspicious that Widmore acted like he was just going to leave Desmond alone? If Widmore has spent millions trying to find the island it seems unlikely he'd let a great lead like Desmond just walk away. Since Desmond was asking about Faraday's mother Widmore's gotta think it has something to do with the island.
    Agreed. This will definitely lead to a side story following Desmond and Penny.

In terms of new character development, I like the physicist Faraday. We know he's been to the island before (he was with Dharma when they found the source), and we know he's been funded by Widmore to research time travel.

What I don't get is how it was OK for him to interact with Desmond at the hatch scene a couple episodes ago. Is it because Desmond was his "anchor" or constant when he was at Oxford doing his time travel tests? Just like Penny is Desmond's?

Regardless, I'm interested in seeing how the Faraday character unfolds in the rest of the story.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

BSS Guest
    Faraday and Jacob were both from the black rock?

I think Farraday has figured out how to time travel in the future and he is visiting the island in the past in an attempt to alter the future.

I don't think he has any connection to the Black Rock and I think Richard pre-dates the Black Rock also.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Speaking of constants, can we presume the woman (Theresa) that Desmond finds hooked up to all the medical equipment in her home is jumping through time just like Desmond was last season when he returned to the freighter? Presumably she never found her constant and eventually went bonkers as a result.