Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    You should start by making the Sierra Club and the Mountaineers go away or be sidelined from the process, when we were working on planning for the new fire station at Snoqualmie Pass the SC was a bunch of dickheads that cost the taxpayers a lot more money for things that they demanded that weren’t necessary
    yeah, the fkn Sierra Club got all over Mount Ashland and almost put a small community run ski hill under for some stupid shit. I think big green tackles little things because they are in denial of the big shit and/or don't have the balls to speak truth to real power. Big things like population control and the economic model of forever growth. Forest service and the courts needs to step up, tell these clowns to fuk off and get a life. Then back litigate them for malicious prosecution when they do dumb shit. go deal with the acidification of the ocean, the Snake River dams, global warming, or some shit like that. a fire station? wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    What 5-7 mountain towns in the Cascades would that be? What is modestly sized? What is close proximity? For long term viability the base areas would need to be over 5000 ft. Where?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Everything North and east of Stevens. There are logging roads and clear cuts everywhere already. It is the same on all the passes and would be easy to find multiple locations for nothing more than a chairlift.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You know that post is from 2009, right?
    ]

Whoopsie

a local ski hill
    Yes

A Ski Resort? Fuck no.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by dunderhead View Post
    yeah, the fkn Sierra Club got all over Mount Ashland and almost put a small community run ski hill under for some stupid shit. I think big green tackles little things because they are in denial of the big shit and/or don't have the balls to speak truth to real power. Big things like population control and the economic model of forever growth. Forest service and the courts needs to step up, tell these clowns to fuk off and get a life. Then back litigate them for malicious prosecution when they do dumb shit. go deal with the acidification of the ocean, the Snake River dams, global warming, or some shit like that. a fire station? wtf?
    The property belonged to the USFS and was a dirt lot that was fill from previous highway construction they wanted wildlife migration corridor studies, wetland studies demanded to sit in on the meetings etc… and basically said if you give us x amount of dollars we’ll go away
    You can see it right next to the freeway
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A368D8B3-117C-49C9-9A30-E9166CD73CE0.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	396866
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Yes

A Ski Resort? Fuck no.
    yah, I could never look myself in the mirror if I was working for one of these horrendous ski corps. By supporting them with one's labor, one is directly contributing to their success. There are still nonprofit ski hills or locally owned ski hills to support with one's labor and dollars. Anything other than contributing to the demise wrought by garbage corps like Boyne, Vail, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    The property belonged to the USFS and was a dirt lot that was fill from previous highway construction they wanted wildlife migration corridor studies, wetland studies demanded to sit in on the meetings etc… and basically said if you give us x amount of dollars we’ll go away
    You can see it right next to the freeway

Name:	A368D8B3-117C-49C9-9A30-E9166CD73CE0.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	396866
    fucking losers, forest service and the courts should force the issue on these fuktards. destroy them in court then sue the back for malicious prosecution.

Everything North and east of Stevens. There are logging roads and clear cuts everywhere already. It is the same on all the passes and would be easy to find multiple locations for nothing more than a chairlift.
    What mountain towns are you talking about? I’m really not familiar with any clear cuts north and east of Stevens except on private land. Can you enlighten us with specific locations. Where are the logging roads that are over 4000’ in elevation north and east of Stevens? I only know of 5 fs roads that are that high and they’re closed in the winter. Where are you talking specifically?

What mountain towns are you talking about? I’m really not familiar with any clear cuts north and east of Stevens except on private land. Can you enlighten us with specific locations. Where are the logging roads that are over 4000’ in elevation north and east of Stevens? I only know of 5 fs roads that are that high and they’re closed in the winter. Where are you talking specifically?

yah, then open them? I dont know, i just google earthed it and saw shit. maybe it would take an access lift, maybe an up and over off 2? maybe Mount Pilchuck? maybe White Pass. I am pretty sure in a range as large as the Cascades where logging roads have been punched everywhere, one could find multiple spots. By the time you get to Montana, Idaho etc the options are limitless. This is the exact can't do attitude that has infected the forest service and skiers in general as we slog like drones to some corporate hellhole.

yah, I could never look myself in the mirror if I was working for one of these horrendous ski corps. By supporting them with one's labor, one is directly contributing to their success. There are still nonprofit ski hills or locally owned ski hills to support with one's labor and dollars. Anything other than contributing to the demise wrought by garbage corps like Boyne, Vail, etc.
    I manage to look at myself in the eye.

. This is the exact can't do attitude that has infected the forest service and skiers in general as we slog like drones to some corporate hellhole.
    Sigh.... you must be young. The truly good terrain that isn't Wilderness or blocked by wilderness has been built. This has everything to do with ROI and little to do with what is still undeveloped.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

yah, then open them? I dont know, i just google earthed it and saw shit.
    maybe it would take an access lift, maybe an up and over off 2? maybe Mount Pilchuck? maybe White Pass. I am pretty sure in a range as large as the Cascades where logging roads have been punched everywhere, one could find multiple spots.
    This is the exact can't do attitude that has infected the forest service and skiers in general as we slog like drones to some corporate hellhole.
    Huh.
    Maybe put some effort in. LWS has proposed locations. I think an expansion of the snoparks would be good even without lifts involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I manage to look at myself in the eye.

Sigh.... you must be young. The truly good terrain that isn't Wilderness or blocked by wilderness has been built. This has everything to do with ROI and little to do with what is still undeveloped.
    cool, I know a spot that is outside the wilderness, not Inventoried roadless and has a road to the top already. They are out there, you just gotta look

yah, then open them? I dont know, i just google earthed it and saw shit. maybe it would take an access lift, maybe an up and over off 2? maybe Mount Pilchuck? maybe White Pass. I am pretty sure in a range as large as the Cascades where logging roads have been punched everywhere, one could find multiple spots. By the time you get to Montana, Idaho etc the options are limitless. This is the exact can't do attitude that has infected the forest service and skiers in general as we slog like drones to some corporate hellhole.
    How much time have you spent on the ground north and east of Stevens? Again where are all the clear cuts above 4000’ on FS land? I’m not saying it’s impossible but there are very few suitable spots with established access that are on FS land. The existing roads that are at elevation are used heavily by the snowmobile groups and they aren’t giving up their established recreation areas without a fight. There is basically one area one the Hwy 2 corridor that would have a chance at being a ski area. It’s mostly private land and the good terrain is on FS land. I’m not sure how old you are but even with a “can do attitude” it would be 20+ years to get it started. I’d be happy to have more options but the best places are tied up in Wilderness. Try getting that changed.

Yup. ROI. Passion only goes so far.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

yeah, the fkn Sierra Club got all over Mount Ashland and almost put a small community run ski hill under for some stupid shit....
    Mt A is situated directly upstream from the City of Ashland municipal watershed, that was the major factor that killed the expansion plan 10-12 years ago. Its unclear if that is what you are referring to

unreliable snow pack is what will put them under ....
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    Mt A is situated directly upstream from the City of Ashland municipal watershed, that was the major factor that killed the expansion plan 10-12 years ago. Its unclear if that is what you are referring to

unreliable snow pack is what will put them under ....
    You and your facts…

You and your facts…

The funniest part of the Sierra Club throwing a tantrum about Mount A's septic system is that the whole place is a massive weed grow. Everything from shit to fertilizer is dumped all over the place. yah, easier to pick on the non profit ski place than tackle the bigger and scarier issue. me and my facts......

The funniest part of the Sierra Club throwing a tantrum about Mount A's septic system is that the whole place is a massive weed grow. Everything from shit to fertilizer is dumped all over the place. yah, easier to pick on the non profit ski place than tackle the bigger and scarier issue. me and my facts......
    Ok. There’s unregulated sewage dumping in the City of Ashland’s watershed? Public water supply trumps everything. Close the whole thing down. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Username checks out.

By the time you get to Montana, Idaho etc the options are limitless.
    Have you, ahhh, ever been to Montana? Know anything about land access here? Ever seen how many roads go through the middle of Idaho?
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

How much time have you spent on the ground north and east of Stevens? Again where are all the clear cuts above 4000’ on FS land? I’m not saying it’s impossible but there are very few suitable spots with established access that are on FS land. The existing roads that are at elevation are used heavily by the snowmobile groups and they aren’t giving up their established recreation areas without a fight. There is basically one area one the Hwy 2 corridor that would have a chance at being a ski area. It’s mostly private land and the good terrain is on FS land. I’m not sure how old you are but even with a “can do attitude” it would be 20+ years to get it started. I’d be happy to have more options but the best places are tied up in Wilderness. Try getting that changed.

Name:	gollly.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	396922

Name:	gollly.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	396922
    I dunno, all the light green is forest service and those are all roads. some of it is probably IRA but I dunno. I am in Idaho and have not been there since the early 80's. Or just pay Vail to stand in a lift line. Almost as lame as being a total sellout and working for Boyne.

steep terrain
    shallow serpentine soils
    hundreds of trail runners and MTBs
    yeah, thats a great place for a massive grow
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Have you, ahhh, ever been to Montana? Know anything about land access here? Ever seen how many roads go through the middle of Idaho?
    I am in the panhandle and there are logging roads everywhere. Maybe you are talking about the river of no return wilderness and the blank spot in the middle of the state or something? yeah, that place is pretty roadless.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    steep terrain
    shallow serpentine soils
    hundreds of trail runners and MTBs
    yeah, thats a great place for a massive grow
    well, the place is rotten with legal(ish) and illegal grow ops so I dunno... if you pour enough fertilizer on em they will produce 6 or 8 pounds per plant. Circumference is 4 to 5 dudes arm to arm per plant so the shit grows just fine up in them hills!

Full blown resorts aside, I'm surprised we haven't seen more proposals for backcountry ski areas. Minimal infrastructure - a couple of warming huts. Access via skin track. Some level of avalanche control.

Seems like it'd be (relatively) palatable to the eco warriors, and based on the number of people I see skinning up groomers while the lifts are spinning, it seems like there's a market for it.