Snowmobile ski rack setup? Has anyone done this???

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to make a rack or set up something so i can carry me skis on my snowmobile. Would like them to stick out the back off the runner some how. Any pics would be of great help. Thanks

Search jong! Whole theard on this! If you have a older polaris just put some webbing in the form of a loop on the side of the tunell on each side. Put gun rack on the back of sled on each side strap down and rally fool.

Search = goodness. Lots of good ideas there.

That said, I stress-tested my latest ghetto ski rack last weekend. Will upload a picture tonight, but basically, big bungee over the tank/front of seat to hold the tips, a 2x4 bolted behind the seat (don't put holes in the heat exchangers!) with screw in square garage-wall hooks. Feed tip under bungee, put ski inside the big hook, strap, cram poles in somewhere, good to go.

The CFR rack (cheetahfactoryracing.com, I believe) is rad - but $12<$300.

Used it for the first time last weekend - minimally obtrusive as far as feet go, 50-60mph on roads !=problem, barrel-rolled the sled down a steep hill, banged up the hood (some more), broke the windshield off, managed not to get run over by the sled, but skis were A) still attached and B) Just Fine.

Picture tonightish, but it is really pretty straightforward - get two of the long, flat hooks - they're about 10" overall, square corners, if you screwed them into a wall 5' apart, skis would lie in them nicely. Put the tips up in the footwells, figure out where to put your 2x4/hook, voila.

Gunracks are good, too, but I managed to break one early on (going 70ish on a rutted VP road...and I was asking a lot of the gunracks, can't blame them). I was using two of them to hold the whole ski off the back of the sled, there was a lot of force on the racks.

Iain

Thanks mannix i look forward to these pictures. Everytime i search everyone just mentioned the cfr. i'm definetly a jerry riggin guy.

Gun racks are a temporary solution which cause many points of possible failure. Typically we have seen these either: break themselves, break what they are fastened to on you sled, or break your skis.

Of course the solution of a gun rack works, but not without some heavy sacrifices; typically in the form of ride quality. It's going to make your whooped approaches way slower, your feet will have less room to jockey the machine, and the probability for coming out in technical riding situations is much higher.

This July we at Mo Pros are releasing the Pack-It Bracket; the latest bracket for carrying skis, snowboards, and anything else in there you can strap down.

The completely optimized design offers full integration into a snowmobile without points of failure. Oh and if it does fail; it has a Lifetime Warranty.......so you better hit this thing with a car; it's hella burly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice Auger_LinQ SnowboardSki_LinQ System_Rack_Ski_Ski-doo_Snowbike_Backcountry_CFR_Cheetah Factor.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	208962

Name:	Snowmobile_Tsaina Rack_Arctic Cat_Backcountry United_Gas_Ice Fishing_Polaris_Skiing_CFR_Cheetah .jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	208963

Bolt a piece of 6 inch PVC upright with a cap or some mesh on the bottom. The only problem is what to bolt it to - hopefully there a cargo frame or something.

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	209036I had a 2002 Polaris rmk800 with the old school seat. You could double up on that side at and pull skiers. I bought a steel cargo rack and welded two hollow tubes across it. Then I had removable rack extensions which telescoped out and the skis sat on them. I used snow board bindings to hold the skis on. I based it on Lou's ideas on wildsnow. Check out his site for ideas and pics
    Last edited by Jethro; 07-04-2017 at 02:51 PM.

A different pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	209037

I'd advise against gun racks. They simply aren't strong enough to withstand the chop and speed your doing with a sled. Broke mine multiple times and fairly quickly first year out. I just have a steel bar mounted to the rear bumper and some voile straps mounted to the side of the tunnels now. Simple and pretty bomber. I'll go with something nicer and more functional when I get a nicer sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I provided drawings to my local metal fabricator, who welded this custom rack for $200. Works great and completely bombproof.

That is a pretty nice setup. And the fabricator did you a solid for only charging $200. For all the time spent cutting, grinding, cleaning , welding, knocking off slag, plus materials, it's hardly worth his time. That's a nice minimalist rack at a great price.

I hope you are going to put some kind of padding between the rack and your skiis. I have a CFR rack (plastic) and it has put dents into skiis on rough trails

One advantage of flat ski carry as opposed the edge down carry is that there is less force per area. I had a rubbery heat shrink on about 1" tubular steel