Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thumbs up

Very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Ain't no way in hell Andy can break the 195s he'll be using in Aspen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SitSki13 View Post
    Sounds like a challenge.
    You can break as many of those as you want, Andy.
    That's our only metal ski.

This shot is money!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    ...pushing the boundaries of the sport. Guys like you are how these sports progress to the next level.
    Yeah, exactly. That's how the gear gets better too.

Die living! That's FKNA

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Here we go, Mags, time to step up!
    Sit, set up a PP account, I think we could drum that up handily.
    I'd be in for some scratch.

Hell yes, gettin it cat style! man I thought I broke gear quickly, can't wait to read the full report - link it here if possible!

Just got back from Snowmass. Shoulda stayed to watch this, damn!
    Sometimes you have to let your bad self ski...

Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    I'm not an engineer either, but I do play one in real life.

At the Gheek a while back a sitskier was in line behind me and I noticed his ski was broken upward right in front of the binding, he didn't know till I told him.

The problem is all your weight is on 1 ski instead of 2 (Yes, I have a rd degree black belt in Mastery of the obvious) so I'm not surprised they break.

If it was me I'd cut 18" or so off both ends of a ski, then T-bolt that to the top of another full ski, but only T-bolt it under the binding so that as the ski flexed the ends of the top ski could slide on the top sheet of the full length bottom ski.

I was actually just in steamboat early this week, saw a ton of sitskiers there, pretty rad to see 4 of you guys all mobbing down the hill!
    I understand what you're saying better than rideit's question, although Andy broke his ski in the tail, didn't he? Did I see that wrong? Either way, on either end, the best answer would be extra glass. The 195s he's skiing in Aspen are some stiff metal boards, so I'll be impressed if he bends one.

*big grin!*

Good luck Andy!
    Great TR as always!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

Dude, you are awesome. Love that one of you flying off the hill! Hope ya get a new seat!
    bc-lovah

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I understand what you're saying better than rideit's question, although Andy broke his ski in the tail, didn't he? Did I see that wrong? Either way, on either end, the best answer would be extra glass. The 195s he's skiing in Aspen are some stiff metal boards, so I'll be impressed if he bends one.
    When I made that last post I didn't realize that you were the maker of these skis and are designing them specifically for him so some extra glass/fatter core around the binding are far better solutions than the comparatively ghetto fix I posted about.

We don't make those skis specifically for Andy, but we make them specifically for kick-ass skiers like Andy who use them in freeride comps and the everyday comp where they compete against themselves.

Yessss! Kick ass TR as always...kick ass sponsor too! Good luck at X man.

great tr. broken ski, broken sit ski, sounds like a successful day to me.

Awesome TR, good job breaking stuff!

we had a journalist and photographer with us from SKIING mag who were doing a story on the event to be featured in one of the editions next season some time.
    Sounds like there's finally a good reason to pick up a copy of SKIING!

Looks like your skis are shear-delaminating right where they meet the edge of the binding. From what I remember of engineering statics, that kind of torque spike would be expected where a flexy ski and rigid binding/"sit-ski boot" meet.

Have any sit-skiers tried using riser plates (the metal, racing kind) to try and spread out impact forces and smooth out the boot-ski interface? (EDIT: What this guy said)
    Last edited by anthill; 01-23-2009 at 03:25 PM.

So here's a sitski JONG question - I have seen in films the sitskis that have two skis, mounted on a guide that keeps the bases parallel (edges into the snow)

What's up with those skis and would they be less prone to breaking?

But yes I agree with anthill, the stress concentration where the high modulus binding mount meets the (relatively) low modulus ski would be huge. With a riser plate, it may make sense to go with a material of intermediate modulus.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Andy's sitski is a monoski. 1 normal ski mounted with a high din binding. He breaks skis so easily because its all of his weight, plus the sitski on 1 ski designed for less than half that. So when he lands back seat, theres way more force on the tail of the ski than someone would normally apply.
    Ive seen videos of the 2 ski sit ski where they are on a pivot of sorts. ITs probably not ideal for racing because I feel that it would be harder to get both skis on edge as quickly as a mono. Think fat vs skinny race skis

my $.02
    Live

This looks like a job for pechelman and his slide rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

In light of develpments... thsi thread prooves to be prophetic... +vibes and heal up quick Andy.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

this was a sweet trip, can't wait to see more after the leg heels up. get right quick dude!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

very cool

Bump.

Andy brings it again!

Die living.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Thanks for bumping these, Duke. Incredibly inspiring. Keep on doing it up, Andy!

To the top. The Canyons could use a guy like Andy. Vote for Andy, Dooo It!

"We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Bump....