Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    O's looked intruiging to me
    I think we're going with O's as the second reservation- my wife saw a thing on the chef on the Food Network and said he got unbelieveable reviews. Their menu is one of the best I've seen on there in terms of variety (since my wife won't eat red meat) and its one of the places where your meal would probably cost $80-100 otherwise.

cool, please report back!

while the menu looks awesome, ill have to confess that the liquid nitrogen icecream caught my eye
    ive always wanted to make\try some

thats no reason to avoid RW pinner,
    indeed, it's just about how to weed some places out.

our list looks to be:
    The Bistro
    Twelve
    Indulge

gotta make me some ressies.

I did see some veal items (hence the wording in my rant) but what I didn't see was anyone rocking out what I consider to be both the simplest and the hardest to really do right of dishes: veal scallopini. I saw a lot of pussies that went for the chicken though.

I have yet to have a passable one in Colorado.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

cool, please report back!

while the menu looks awesome, ill have to confess that the liquid nitrogen icecream caught my eye
    ive always wanted to make\try some
    Dippin' Dots has been the Ice Cream of the future for like 20 years.

While Flemings is not participating in Denver Rest week, they are having a special. Not quite as cheap, but still not a bad deal: http://flemings.innovyx.net/v?xlHHHJHEJcvTJvHc

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    our list looks to be:
    The Bistro
    Twelve
    Indulge

veal scallopini.
    I have yet to have a passable one in Colorado.

itll be interesting to hear your thoughts about indulge too
    we're going the first night around 730 i think if you want

re scallopini
    sansone's?

i dont think ive seen it on the menu proper like, but im sure you could request it and he'd have no trouble whipping it up.
    with as good as his schnitzel is, id have to believe he could do an ok scallopini.

though i did order something there off one of their italian feasts special menu one evening that i thought was just average....i should have known better to order a pasta dish though

im more of a veal picatta or marsala person myself, so im not sure id know good scallopini

lb, you look at uniscali?
    they had a veal appetizer, and have a lamb shank for an entree that sounds nom nom nom
    (and no creme brulee)
    That menu looks $$$. Union has always been good, so gotta give this one a try. Thanks for pointing it out.

sure
    just dont blame me if it sucks

veal picatta

Much to my shame, everytime above I typed scallopini, sub in picatta. Yikes.

the standard is a now gone italian place in SF that my wife loved and we went several times...sigh food I miss.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

ha
    its all delicious

the premise behind picatta couldnt be simpler, i dont think, and as you mention, but i can never make it consistenly.
    probably because i never measure out the proportion of the fats
    i have a feeling this in combo with the type of people wine use to make it is why its so different everywhere

i see sansones does a picatta, but i also see he egg batters it, which i dont like for picatta
    i really think it should just be lightly dredged in flour, but whatever

Not everyone uses wine also.

I’m thinking that the probable reason is that a bunch of places use some sort of prepared and held sauce instead of cranking it out in the pan
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Made ahead piccata sauce? yuck. It's so simple my wife can make it. .....now if she could just stop over cooking the veal to shoe leather....... but I agree, it's hard to find a well prepared veal dish in a restaurant. And substituting chicken is a lame cop-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    And substituting chicken is a lame cop-out.
    No, it's just an entirely different taste and texture, same goes for marsala.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

not to defend these italian places here, but i know too that much fewer people have problems with eating chicken than they do with succulently juicy and tender delicious baby cows
    Last edited by pechelman; 01-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.

baby cows are the best. I had fresh made veal Bratwurst for lunch today. Good stuff for sure

Bump! I have my first reservation for tomorrow at Tamayo and monday at The Palm. Getting out of Grand County for good food!

1515 tomorrow night.... definitely looking forward to it.

PSA: RW extended for many restaurants till MARCH 6th!
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

corridor 44 for me and my lady

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    PSA: RW extended for many restaurants till MARCH 6th!
    youre fucking kidding, right? a 2 week restaurant week? jeebus. i guess slow season is over. heh
    "If you are not nervous about your passion, you are not passionate enough about it."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tionaries3.jpg

Probably bailing on my Lola reservation for Weds if anybody wants it. Looks like I'm going to ZENGO on friday though, anyone ever been?

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Sock View Post
    Probably bailing on my Lola reservation for Weds if anybody wants it. Looks like I'm going to ZENGO on friday though, anyone ever been?
    ive been to zengo. its kinda trendy, but off the beaten path. it wasnt bad at all though, i thought. food was tasty, drinks were too. the RW menu choices look good.
    "If you are not nervous about your passion, you are not passionate enough about it."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tionaries3.jpg

Induldge did not disappoint on Saturday
    Service was lacking I felt, but thought it might have been due to their overwhelming response, this first night of 5280.
    The wine list provided a nice selection of affordable great wines.
    We ended up with the Chatuea La Croix, Muniere, St Estph, Gran Cru.
    the portions we're extremely generous as well...i could have made a meal of just an entree or 2 apps

Food wise, the recommendation on the steak tartare is absolutely dead on.
    Came with a nice nest of shoestringed potatoes, and five or six little things to taste\mix with the tartare.
    finely diced red onion, parsley, capers, something that was pickled, and something im sure im forgetting

pechelwoman thoroughly enjoyed her blue crab\avacado\ruby red grapefruit with remolaude app
    for her entree, she went with the coq a vin, which she said was excellent. i enjoyed my bite of it too, but did think the chicken was a bit dry and over done as im sure its all made in advance.

i was pretty floored with my steak frites mignonette
    if you order this anything other than medium rare, dont order it. (i went rare)
    i felt very non-haute ordering meat and french fries, but damn it was tasty.

for the desserts, the table next to us, who was just leaving when we sat down, siad to save room for the flourless choc cake, the moulleux au chocolate with mango sorbet. definitely go with this, though the ice cream sundae they had on the menu, which i saw go out to many tables, did look excellent as well. pechelwoman went with the duo of brulee, gran marnier and chocolate. The gran marnier one was excellent, but Ive never been happy with any chocolate creme brulee Ive ever had, and this was no exception...however, it was the best one i have had. the portion of creme brulee though was very very tiny.

overall, we'll definitely be going back, and i felt that the 5280 menu was an excellent sampling of their regular menu and a good value at that.

And to lemon boy and whomever else has been there, this place, for whatever reason, really striked me as what sansone's could be in some respects. Indulge is has a bit more refinement and focused vision with the food rahter than the melange of some mediocre and some excellent at sansones.

turns out we'll also be going to Kevin taylor at the opera house now for 5280 since they extended their menu
    will report about that later

I made a grilled wild coho salmon with a lemon, dill, white wine, butter, cream sauce last night. Sides of grilled veggies and caprese salad. I dare say I enjoyed my own version 5280.

Tonight I'm thinking grilled shrimp. The balance of the menu is percolating in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Sides of grilled veggies and caprese salad.
    Where'd you get decent tomatoes this time of year???
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.