Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I was a girl scout.....I did not make it far in girl scouts...

Didn't read anything but wish
    I was.

The Scouts was good shit for me. Learned a lot about the outdoors - camping in a blizzard at -30, map and compass, knots, mile swim, canoeing. Never made Eagle, but came close. One of the highlights was when our troop went to summer camp without a scoutmaster. It was a riot. Literally.

Eagle Scout here. After I turned 16 my parents really had to push me to finish since I became interested in other pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    One of the highlights was when our troop went to summer camp without a scoutmaster. It was a riot. Literally.
    I did that also, lets just say we had all of our gasoline confiscated.

Got my eagle at 13, was brotherhood OA (too lazy for vigil) and spent two summers as a counselor at PV. The BSA let me enjoy some success when there wasn't much else going right in my life. I'll encourage my boys to try it out as well.

Yep, count one more -

I still haven't picked up my tat to commemorate the event like this guy:

http://www.direrat.com/img/smalltat.jpg

^^^ WTF is with the juxtaposition of the 1911's and the Lenni Lenape word for "Friendly".

eagle and oa, old school flc...goose pond.

Got a lil distracted around high school and took a little extra motivation but I got it. 14er in CO, Philmont, Boundary waters were some of the better trips but skiing trip every year was the best part.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Making a Pizza View Post
    I was a girl scout.....I did not make it far in girl scouts...

I made it pretty far with a Girl Scout once.

Eagle, OA, Philmont, got my first switchblade at Camp Buck Toms, deer dung fights, puked out window of a bus on way to Philmont, blew up bombs in bolo at Buck Toms, lots of gambling, dipping, chewing, smoking, scout stuff you know...

Hiked parts of AT, lots of camping, wilderness survival, canoeing, hazing scout master's son, still have my Philmont buckle and belt.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I was an Eagle Scout and I selectively put it on my resume nowdays. I certainly wouldn't encourage my kids to try it out if I have sons. I think Scouts is a good option if your parents and other people in your community aren't going to take you outside on their own, but I've enjoyed the outdoors much more once I realized that there were better ways to do things than what the scouts teach (which is pretty much outdoorsmanship rewinded 50 years). Again, I don't think it's a bad option but I'd rather not have done it, and I don't think I learned anything at all from the "life skills" program of the Scouts, though I should probably credit that to good parents.

Got mine at 18. Our scoutmaster spent a couple years in the Burmese jungle during WWII as a special forces operative. Policies were no tents, no sleeping pads, no stoves, and always a 'hike in' for every campout. At 12 I was carrying a big ass knife, a hatchet, smoking grapevine, and learning to cook/clean/live 'off the land.' We never went to Philmont, but went to northern New Mexico, Oklahoma's Ouachita, etc... and did our own thing. Being a native Texan, summer campouts were the worst. With no tents, sleeping pads, one has the choice to sleep in the bag and suffer from the heat, or lay on top of the bag and get eaten by fireants = many sleepless nights. I also don't really see the point of attaining the Eagle Rank before, say, 14 or 15 years old. The most valuable part for me was being 16/17/18 and serving as Assistant and then Senior Patrol Leader and learning to lead other young men. Although I guess there are other opportunities in Scouts for young Eagles...
    [/Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by sIlentRagE View Post
    The most valuable part for me was being 16/17/18 and serving as Assistant and then Senior Patrol Leader and learning to lead other young men. Although I guess there are other opportunities in Scouts for young Eagles...
    [/Blog]
    I (and my scouting friends with whom I still keep in touch) agree with this wholeheartedly. Was having a conversation with one of my best friends (also an eagle) not long ago about how crazy it was that we were given so much responsibility and leadership as 14 and 15 year old kids. I don't think anybody got eagle without at least serving one term as ASPL or SPL. The camping and shooting and fire and camo were fun and all but the interpersonal skills/dynamics were the things I learned through scouting that really matter 15 years later.
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Eagle Scouter since 16

When I was young, the boy scout troops I knew of were mostly mormons and weirdos. Now that I'm older, I'm realizing that stereotype largely holds true. Thank you for reaffirming that.

Really though, the Eagles i've come across so far in my life are mostly stand-up dudes. One recent applicant to a job at my company stated this on his resume, and it did pop out at me. He will mostly get the nod for the hire, not just because he is an eagle, but because he seems to have some very good lifeskills.

I just haerd the have added a video game badge...lame

Quote Originally Posted by 3snowboards View Post
    I just haerd the have added a video game badge...lame
    Reading the Chronicle?

It's only for Cub Scouts. And, if you actually read the requirements, it's not that bad. All about educational games, time-management, and whatnot. I think they're just seeing the reality of the modern kid's life and trying to turn video games into a force for something besides hand-eye coordination and obesity development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

do EaGles have balls? nUtz gfaggssssss?
    i dont slay ur groomerz with teh steeze so dont carve corduroy in r park nOOb!

my arsenal !: 4FRNT CRJ : Armada Pipecleaners : Salomon 1080 Gun Lab : Rossignol Scratch FS : Salomon Yellow 1080s : Rossignol Powair : Elan SCX : K2 Extremes (4 versions)