Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

inacas@reply

Hi "inacas", i was 4 weeks in a cast,then finally when i got it off i hoped i will be back to walking in few days, but it wasn't, i had to use crutches next two weeks, and go to physiotherapy's for my leg...Now i can walk almost normally,but i cant jump or do anything similar.In the next month i will need to have additional diet, to get the Calcium, and other vitamins.You can see from my past posts how the some points of healing were
    distributed..After that 6 weeks, you would need to practice walking about two weeks before you could go on your own, and without crutches...

And you shouldn't be worried about the displacement they found,maybe its just a small
    fracture of that part.the new bone will come and replace the old one, so everything even
    not 100% in place will be fixed and healed.But be aware that diet is crucial to your healing time.You may not have much swelling, but even a little swelling can keep blood from flowing around that area which is very important.It brings everything needed for healing...
    And don't take pills, only if they are the last option and the pain is unbearable...

Sorry for late reply, but it takes some time for admins to review the post before publishing...I love helping people, if you need anything else, feel free to ask, i will try to be more active on here..

Hello All,
    I have gone thru this thread and read everyone's recovery views. I had my Fibula fracture surgery 6 weeks ago with 1 plate and 7 screws..!! It was just above the ankle. Got my X-ray today and everything seems good..! Now I am allowed to walk without crutches..!
    Just wanted to tell everyone out here who are just in the recovery phase to have patience and dont be in a hurry. Its recoverable and gets better day by day..!!
    Plz let me know if any queries..!

Thanks,
    Pals

Two weeks later i'm off the plaster cast but with some hardware in as you can see. Docs said that i should wear a bandage three more weeks and they recomends non-wide movements with the toes and the foot. Pain after surgery was huge, but the they after it's just ok. And swelling is ok. Docs said that I heal very fast and after three weeks they will encourage me to walk a bit.

I'm on week 9 now and I've been walking with a cane for around two weeks but it's not getting anymore comfortable. there's a lot of bruising and pain just below whatever you call the bottom part of the fibula (the ball).

Not sure if I did too much, too soon but I'm due for a doctors visit on Tuesday.

It's been around 4.5 months (I think)

The bone feels healed up but I still have a limp much of the time, but not all of the time. it usually hurts in the morning and late at night.

I also experience a good but of pain in my lower ankle when I roll my foot inward as if it were still sprained. does anyone else have this issue after 4 or 5 months?

47 years old, broke left fibula yesterday half way up playing soccer. In a splint right now. Quite painful. Very upset about this. I have been exercising a lot and watching what I eat and shedding pounds recently. Hope this doesn't set me back too much. Woke up 2:30 am - pain meds wore off.

8 months away from break in fibula. all ok, some swelling at night. soft tissue takes a while to recover. carry golf bag no problem, fish. all best to all- Jack Crowley/Seattle

I broke my fibula just above the ankle joint on July 5th this year. I rolled my ankle hard hiking down a steep snowbank and sprained it extremely bad, while breaking it just above the ankle. I was put in a cast the day after it happened and had the cast on for 6 weeks. I've been in a walking cast now for 3 weeks and go in on the 11th to get it checked out again. Hoping to lose the brace and start strengthening it for the winter! Bearing weight feels fine, but definitely still stiff and limited in motion. Gets better each day though!
    Love and Gratitude!

So, I had the displeasure of destroying my ankle on 7/29. I was sliding into 2nd base during a softball game and it just got caught under me and dislocated my ankle and snapped my fibula. The thing I thought was weird was the doc wanted to wait almost 2 weeks to start surgery because of the swelling he said. I had a soft cast for 2 weeks after the surgery and was put in a hard cast after.

It's been 6 1/2 weeks since surgery and I'm getting a little antsy. I have been putting a little weight on it gradually the last few days and it takes it fine. I can limp around in my hard cast with crutches as long as I don't put all of my weight on it, it does fine. It is taking everything I have right now to not rip this cast off and put it in a boot a week early (have one from a previous incident. Anyways I feel like 6 1/2 weeks should be sufficient and the doc is being overly cautious. I'm ready to get back to work. I'm 27 and in good shape so I feel like this should be a suitable recovery time. What do you guys think?

when you guys broke it how bad was the pain? I landed backseat on a pretty large drop about 4 days ago and thought I had just gotten really bad shin bang. I'm able to walk fine now, but when I put pressure my pressure forward and outside on my ankle I feel a very sharp pain, just a couple inches up from my ankle to the outside of my shin bone. The pain kinda shoots up my leg. I've never broken a bone but it feeling kinda how I imagine a minor fracture would feel.

I know... "go see a doctor". But that what I'm trying to avoid, if there is no reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLbiLLy View Post
    when you guys broke it how bad was the pain? I landed backseat on a pretty large drop about 4 days ago and thought I had just gotten really bad shin bang. I'm able to walk fine now, but when I put pressure my pressure forward and outside on my ankle I feel a very sharp pain, just a couple inches up from my ankle to the outside of my shin bone. The pain kinda shoots up my leg. I've never broken a bone but it feeling kinda how I imagine a minor fracture would feel.

I know... "go see a doctor". But that what I'm trying to avoid, if there is no reason to.
    I had a boot-top fracture last year and it was very painful initially but then much like what you're describing. I walked on it for a week or so before I decided to drag my ass to get an x-ray. I wound up without a boot (made things worse) and basically just iced it and took it easy for 3-4 months. In the end it was nice to have someone monitoring the healing but my out of pocket costs were fairly low so it's easy for me to say that. Tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLbiLLy View Post

Highly unlikely you have a treatable fracture if the area isn't swollen like a grapefruit, you can walk on it and have decent range of motion. Probably just swollen bursa sacs or some torn up soft tissue that will heal with RICE. No reason to see a doctor at this point. Harden the fuck up, walk it off, pull up your big girl panties or whatever other homilies you want, and go see the doc if you aren't better in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeret View Post
    So, I had the displeasure of destroying my ankle on 7/29. I was sliding into 2nd base during a softball game and it just got caught under me and dislocated my ankle and snapped my fibula. The thing I thought was weird was the doc wanted to wait almost 2 weeks to start surgery because of the swelling he said. I had a soft cast for 2 weeks after the surgery and was put in a hard cast after.

It's been 6 1/2 weeks since surgery and I'm getting a little antsy. I have been putting a little weight on it gradually the last few days and it takes it fine. I can limp around in my hard cast with crutches as long as I don't put all of my weight on it, it does fine. It is taking everything I have right now to not rip this cast off and put it in a boot a week early (have one from a previous incident. Anyways I feel like 6 1/2 weeks should be sufficient and the doc is being overly cautious. I'm ready to get back to work. I'm 27 and in good shape so I feel like this should be a suitable recovery time. What do you guys think?

Gnarly. What's the stud for on the medial side of the tibia? And are those staples on the distal side or something in the boot?

Heal up mang, happy that the recovery is going well.

Stud on the medial side is a Tightrope-type device - uses a strong type of suture to repair the syndesmosis (thick ligament holding the fibula and tibia together) rather than a screw. You can see the radiolucent line where the drill track lies, and the metal part is what's the suture pulls against to draw the tibia and fibula together. And, yep, the metal objects in the skin on the lateral side are the staples used to close the skin (xray's taken in a splint, not a boot). I hope you're doing well half a year later!
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Wink Distal Fibula break, help

Hello, I broke my distal fibula 7 weeks ago, the dr said i was lucky and i didn't need surgery but it sounded close, he put me in a fiberglass cast and had me come back and do a through the cast xray, he checked it and said it was healing nicely and was right on target, said to come back in 4 weeks and he would do a off cast xray.

I don't have a lot of itching like people say i would but i have swelling, especially the toes, feels so uncomfortable. I'm going to be 54 on 7/21, see dr on 7/19.

He did say something about physical therapy after the appt. but i think he would obviously have to see the xray.

Any pointers, it's non weight bearing so i've been sitting on this couch for 7 weeks, hopefully my sanity will still be intack.

Pam

Fishing fibula

glad to find this and other threads on Gimp Central.

my honey was fishing a riffle-pool near our place when she went down hard - not wearing those goofy fly fishing treads i traded part of my gear rack for … anyways, diagonal fracture just up from the base; also a nasty gash mid shin down to her tibia to top things off.

she was with granddaughter #1 and 'had to drag herself out of the bush "Joe Simpson" style, GD#1 leading the way … way to go Nana

ortho said likely not needing to plate her up, but she's in an air cast taking it super easy … vit C, D, calcium … follow-up rays this Thursday.

she's a tough bird and i'm handling the grand babes

ditched the crutches for a four-post walker...

looks like 6-8 weeks with some Stash videos, and I like the Clint Eastwood marathon suggestion - Josey Wales !!

CSM

Clearly the best blog out there for these injuries....so here I am!!

In Park City and wrapped my board and 59 yr old body around a tree Monday. I was sure I was just banged up but could not sustain weight on my left leg and sure enough the X-ray showed a clean fracture midway up. Even though I am here for only a few more weeks the Doc's are so highly reccomended I am going in tomorrow to see one. I have very little pain and wonder if anyone has advice....head home and stick with my local Doc's or get an opinion here and have it treated? I am a bit caught of guard by the length of recovery for so little pain. Fractured ribs hurt a helluva lot worse than this and they didn't do anything for that.
    Thanks. If nothing else this is a very well informed thread that I am appreciative to have found.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesums View Post
    In Park City and wrapped my board and 59 yr old body around a tree Monday. I was sure I was just banged up but could not sustain weight on my left leg and sure enough the X-ray showed a clean fracture midway up. Even though I am here for only a few more weeks the Doc's are so highly reccomended I am going in tomorrow to see one. I have very little pain and wonder if anyone has advice....head home and stick with my local Doc's or get an opinion here and have it treated? I am a bit caught of guard by the length of recovery for so little pain. Fractured ribs hurt a helluva lot worse than this and they didn't do anything for that.
    Thanks. If nothing else this is a very well informed thread that I am appreciative to have found.
    If the fibula is broken half way up or more proximal it's likely that you tore the sydesmosis, a fibrous membrane that stabilizes the tibia and fibula and ankle joint. They probably won't fix the fibula but likely put a screw in to hold the tibia and fibula in their natural position while the sydesmosis heals. The screw will be removed later. It is a good idea to have this surgery, it's not like rib fractures.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    If the fibula is broken half way up or more proximal it's likely that you tore the sydesmosis, a fibrous membrane that stabilizes the tibia and fibula and ankle joint. They probably won't fix the fibula but likely put a screw in to hold the tibia and fibula in their natural position while the sydesmosis heals. The screw will be removed later. It is a good idea to have this surgery, it's not like rib fractures.
    I Spiraled my Tib & Fib and ended up with a Plate and 6 screws. I was at home for 3 months with the ability to walk around on it (in a boot) after 3 months. this was 8 years ago. My leg still hurts every day. Get a good doctor and a good PT to help you heal! Both for me where Shit.

Well, I joined the broken fibula club on Monday (3-20). It was a clean break just above my ski boot with no displacement so no surgery is needed. They put me in an air boot and gave me crutches. This is my first broken bone. I have no idea what to expect from this ordeal. I've been told to drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, to R.I.C.E., and to avoid pain killers as they can slow the healing process. Is there any other advice people have for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Well, I joined the broken fibula club on Monday (3-20). It was a clean break just above my ski boot with no displacement so no surgery is needed. They put me in an air boot and gave me crutches. This is my first broken bone. I have no idea what to expect from this ordeal. I've been told to drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, to R.I.C.E., and to avoid pain killers as they can slow the healing process. Is there any other advice people have for me?
    Don't ski for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Don't ski for awhile.
    That won't be a problem...

man, what a bummer, kopi. heal well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesums View Post
    don't get so literal with the treehugging and get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    man, what a bummer, kopi. heal well.
    Thanks! The well wishes are most appreciated!