View Poll Results: How many and which soldiers survived?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% casualties

19 19.79%
  • The 16oz Coors survived, all others perished

4 4.17%
  • The 8% Old Chub survived, all others perished

7 7.29%
  • The 12oz Old Chub/DPA survived, the Coors perished

13 13.54%
  • A random 50% survived depending on location within the cache

21 21.88%
  • 100% survived

30 31.25%
  • Other (explain)

2 2.08%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Beer Quiz: How many soldiers survived?

Lets say you and some friends booked a couple nights at a popular hut in the Vail area. Never having been to the hut before, you go on a pre-tour mission with a couple buddies a few weeks prior to the trip in order to learn the approach route and cache some beer for the big weekend. You make it almost all the way to the hut, but due to time/daylight constraints you decide to bury the beer about a mile from the hut and head back down to the car with a GPS waypoint of the beer cache.

THE QUESTION IS: Will your soldiers survive until the date of the hut trip? Or will you discover the grizzly, frozen, and exploded remains of your brave troopers?

Points to consider:

1) Beer is buried on Dec. 13, hut trip on Jan. 2nd. Daytime highs range anywhere between 10-40 degrees, nighttime lows anywhere between -20 and 20 degrees.

2) Beer is buried at approx. 10,800 feet on the ground and covered by a downed tree and shallow snowpack.

3) There are 30 beers total:
    • 6 12oz Old Chub (8% alc/vol)
    • 6 12oz Dale's Pale Ale (6.5% alc/vol)
    • 18 16oz Coors Light (4.2% alc/vol)

So how many (and which) soldiers survived? The answer will be revealed after sufficient time for polling has elapsed.

I'll go with the Old Chubb's and the Dales Pale surviving due to the higher alcohol levels.

damn
    i knew we should have gone back and borrowed your beer to save them from the cold

survivors:

6 Old Chub
    6 Dales
    13 Coors light

5 Coors light gave their life to protect their friends by exploding and covering them with icy goodness and insulating them until helped arrived. They will never be forgotten!

been waiting for this thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I assume all beers are in cans?

I would think if buried deep enough, all would survive. But it has been fucking cold, and it's not clear how well they are buried. But I'm still going with 100%, because I'm an optimist at heart.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    I assume all beers are in cans?
    Yes, all beer in cans.

Quote Originally Posted by GFP View Post
    Yes, all beer in cans.
    Then I'd think they all survived.
    Bottle & cap = pressure build up from frozen beer pops the cap, beer is dead.
    Can = pressure build up doesn't do shit, it'll freeze and thaw, might not be the tastiest beer but it survived.

how much snow insulates them from the air?
    "At least if the species has lost it's animal strength, individual members can have the fun of finding it again..."
    -T & R Russell On The Loose

My vote is all beer survives, until thawed out in hut, then upon opening, lays a new layer of shellack on every surface of the hut.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by ANON-505 View Post
    how much snow insulates them from the air?
    Approximately 12 inches at the time of burial.

Great thread. I've always contemplated beer cache's and even wondered about this exact scenario. No idea on the survival rate.

so was hawk's post the answer, or still just his guess?
    Last edited by snowbeard; 01-05-2009 at 04:58 PM.

12" of packed down snow or 12" of ultrapoof?
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    Can = pressure build up doesn't do shit, it'll freeze and thaw, might not be the tastiest beer but it survived.
    I have put cans of beer and bottles of beer outside and forgot about them till morning. The cans have exploded, while the bottles still look un frozen....as long as you don't open them up until they get warm enough, the beer won't freeze. The cans have turned solid...my guess is this is due to the bottles having a tighter seal and dealing with increased pressure better.

My guess is none of the beer will survive.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 01-05-2009 at 05:00 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    It's the freezing that can cause the cans to explode. Happened in my friends freezer with some Coors light.

I'm going with 6 Old Chub, 5 Dale's Pale Ale, and 12 Coors light

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    12" of packed down snow or 12" of ultrapoof?
    Somewhere in between. The 12" was thrown on top the cache with a shovel, but not packed/patted down beyond that. I should also mention that the cache was loosely wrapped in a plastic garbage bag in case the unthinkable occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by GFP View Post
    I should also mention that the cache was loosely wrapped in a plastic garbage bag in case the unthinkable occurred.
    Smart, that way if the unthinkable occurs they'll all be entombed in a solid block of ice.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Smart, that way if the unthinkable occurs they'll all be entombed in a solid block of ice.
    Better than getting a bunch of squirrels crunked on backcountry beersicles.

You can then melt said block of ice into a bucket or camel paks and still drink the beer!

It will all be mixed together and flat...but after each of you drink a pocket bottle of jack, it won't matter!

In the future...it may be best to bury liquor....nothing better than ice cold shots of vodka!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I have left beer in snow in my yard for up to a week with sub-zero teperatures. The beer did indeed freeze but only a couple per case broke open. They don't taste so good after freezing

I predict you will lose exactly 17% of your beer.

I'm going with all surviving. I "hid" a case of bud light out on my deck for the past 4 weeks and found it this weekend. No casualties, thought I've had better BL.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer"

one of the best polls ever.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Helldawg Guest
    Oh, see you dicked up my calculations. You said tree and shallow snow. I think 12" qualifies as a bit more than shallow. The snow would insulate them and mitigate the effects of the extreme cold. Therefore, I recant my original prediction of 100% fail.

I now predict a few random casualties. Majority intact.