shin splints: suggestions?

I got pretty bad shin splints. it hurts just to put my boots on. any hints on how to make it hurt less when skiing and to make it heal?
    "Life's a game, don't be a loser"

bandage half a lemon on it for 30 minutes a day everyday......thats what they use to say for horses......
    "So what's a homeless instructor do? Teach people how to build houses outta cardboard boxes and build good trash fires?" - Phuckhuck

Start at the boot shop. Make sure they fit right and your are in appropriate balance.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    bandage half a lemon on it for 30 minutes a day everyday......thats what they use to say for horses......
    Are you serious?

so ive had an epic battle with shin splints that then turned into stress fractures for about 5 years now. yay. ive found wearing a compression sleeve inside my boots actually helps, little bit annoying if youre one to think about the lil wrinkles in your boot, but not nearly as annoying as shooting pain. otherwise cliffs and jumps reallly hurt, obviously, especially to less than ideal landings. and stay outtt of the backseat!! thatll rip the muscle of the front of your shin and be even more painful. ice em day in day out. and if you have those ortho rubberbands or a partner that can help ya do 'pushy pullys' put resistance against your feet and push, then from the other side and pull (really hi tech here..) so a bunch of sets of like 10-15 seconds it helps strengthen your shins a bit.

Try some good fitting boots, soften up the tongue, heel lifts to keep you forward, booster strap, etc. Ice and vitamin I always help too. These are just some simple things off the top of my head, perhaps the problem should be looked at closer by a doc, good bootfitter, or you may have to look at your skiing style.

Shin splints suck! They used to be my nemesis. Sometimes it's best to just take some time off to let them heal. Then, stay out of the backseat!! Lowering the adjustable spoiler on the rear cuff of your boots reduces leverage, and can alleviate the problem slightly.

Scar Tissue Shins

There is a plethora of information that can be found by searching this topic.. anyway what I have found works best is applying ice after skiing coupled with advil.. In preventing this from happening in the future what you want to do is 1. Stop skiing in the back seat 2. Get your boots fit by someone who knows what they r doing, have them shell fit you as well as check your stance alignment and cuff alignment. 3. Get a footbed made by said bootfitter. 4. Get some Booster straps. 5. Stretch the muscle in your shin and don’t do any running.. 6. Only go skiing when there is sufficient pow

Ben-Gay before and after all over your lower legs and shins. Your shins will be so numb when your skiing you won't even feel them, plus the pleasent minty smell.

do ur alphabets

Quote Originally Posted by Tauby View Post
    Are you serious?

yep, thats what vetsearch or Ranvet was saying a couple of years back (2000) hell if I get one I'm trying that shit first, if it's good for a $250,000 plus horse, its good enough for this ski bum!
    "So what's a homeless instructor do? Teach people how to build houses outta cardboard boxes and build good trash fires?" - Phuckhuck

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    yep, thats what vetsearch or Ranvet was saying a couple of years back (2000) hell if I get one I'm trying that shit first, if it's good for a $250,000 plus horse, its good enough for this ski bum!
    Ya, I tried it a bit and it feels pretty good.
    I don't know how much it helps, but it smells good and it's like a message when I rub them on.
    thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'm going to what's called Message and Bowen now. I went there for my Osgood in my knees and it worked great. So hopefully that'll work.

If you ever have a muscle injury, you might wanna check it out.

I concur on the booster straps and getting out of the backseat

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission