Thread: Karhu Spire

Karhu Spire

After fondling these over and over along with the storms. I've decided to purchase them. They're a little wider than the Mt. Bakers and lighter. I'm just not sure whether to get the 177's or the 184's. I'm 6'2" 250 but these will be more of a mountaineering ski here in AK, think chutes more than open faces, and variable wind affected snow and corn. I'm leaning towards the 177's because my current touring skis are 195 AK rocket lab swallowtails with dynafits and with the Spirit 3's they're just too much on hardpack and variable snow amazing in pow but contrary to popular belief it's more often windaffected hardpack on the days I get to ski. But I'm not sure about such a short ski the thought of a 177 kinda worries me I'm not used to skis that are not taller than I am. Not a really aggressive skier on dynafits or fast for that matter.

Anyone ridden the spires? input?

I'd still recommend the 184cm length for your height and weight. Even for more ski mountaineering stuff, it'll be a heck of a lot shorter than a 195cm ski.

3pin, if you're around, or others, what length do you recommend for a 5'11" 195-200lb guy who would want to do some touring on these (may be fairly lengthy) and use them for pretty steep descents (eg, Mt. Moran Skillet Glacier). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
    3pin, if you're around, or others, what length do you recommend for a 5'11" 195-200lb guy who would want to do some touring on these (may be fairly lengthy) and use them for pretty steep descents (eg, Mt. Moran Skillet Glacier). Thanks.
    I'm your size and use the 177cm for touring, as I like something a little more nimble in steep/tight areas. Our sizing guide would put you on the 184, but if you're looking for something a little lighter for long tours and more ski mountaineering stuff, I'd still go 177 unless you're really used to a longer ski and want to charge hard. Hard to say without knowing your ski style, and what you're on right now.

That's perfect...thanks.